“Faded grandeur”

Royal Hotel Scarborough
Ranked #25 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night in a family suite. Ok. Nothing special. Reeked of fresh paint but I suppose they have to do it some time. Coffee at breakfast, lousy. As was the do-it-yourself toaster that didn't toast. Had to pay for a swim. That's new. Never used to. Reception staff friendly & helpful.

• Stayed: March 2014

Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

I really don't know where to start, we arrived a bit early and didn't expect that our room was gonna be ready we just wanted to leave our bags somewhere, the girl in the reception was really unfriendly and didnt't even give me a chance to ask about our bags before she told me 'check in is at 2'!! You could tell that the staff didn't like their jobs, no matter if it was the reception, restaurant or bar. Me and my mom really wanted a massage and it said on booking that the hotel offers it, but the receptionist just laughed at me when I asked! We used the pool instead and got really disappointed when the bubbelpool didn't work and the sauna was cold! The room we had was cold, my mom had to put on a sweater and warm pants just to be able to sleep. It took forever to get hot water in the shower. The wifi didn't work. And overall the hotel really needs to be renovated, it could be such a lovley hotel if you would just fix it up. The only positive thing about the hotel right now was the location. I would also like to comment that I read a lot of the comments here on tripadvisor and the guy that replies really should learn to not use copy paste and make the answers a bit more personal!

• Stayed: April 2014
GM-Britannia, General Manager at Royal Hotel Scarborough, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2014

Thank you for your feedback, I was very sorry to learn that not everything went according to plan and at this stage can only apologise for any frustrations or upset caused. I will certainly address the issues raised as you should expect a certain standard and this was not delivered. I would like to assure you that this is certainly by no means our usual standard of quality or service, and I would hope this one off experience has not tainted your view of our hotel.

Please contact me personally when next staying at The Royal and I will do what I can to further enhance your stay.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

We decided to drive down from Scotland to Scarborough, we went onto Booking.com and booked the Royal Hotel we arrived and walked into the reception area which looked very dated and dull, the receptionist were very friendly and helpful, we paid for 1 night (thank god) and handed a £50 note which they processed to tell us they don't accept £50 notes. We got told we had to pay for our parking outside the hotel. We processed to our room which was on the 3rd room which was fair enough, got the lift up and walked out the lift and tripped up as I left the lift with the carpet that was worn, frayed right at the exit of the lift. Walking to our room there was rubbish and milk pots for tea lying on the carpet. We got into our room,and ever time we changed the channel on the Telly the volume wasn't on we had to switch the TV off then on for it to work. The bathroom had 1 bath towel and 1 hand towel for 2 people. No towel or bath may for stepping out of the shower. Tissue box in the bathroom was empty and when I went for a shower there wasn't any hot water. A sheet was on the bed (not a fitted sheet) and it didn't fit the bed. There was either laundry cages or food cage getting wheeled about outside at 11.30 at night and at 7am, so you certainly couldn't sleep in for breakfast. Went out at night and came in later and the smell at the reception was awful.
The restaurant was disgusting the walls had big chunks out of them next to the toaster the wall paper was hanging off, the orange juice smelt and tasted like metal, cob webs on the lights and the carpet was disgusting, windows were all rusty and wind blowing throw them with gaps. Tie backs on the curtains were disgusting and sitting in my tea. Felt sick when came out from breakfast with just looking about the restaurant.
How many bad reviews does it take before the place is closed and sorted.
Please don't go

Room Tip: Just don't go!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Debbie M

Thank you for taking the time to post your constructive feedback. I would like to sincerely apologise for the service you received in the hotel and will address this with our team. I was sorry too, that not everything went according to plan during your experience at the hotel and will certainly investigate the issues raised with our team.

Please be assured that this is not our usual standard of customer service and look forward to having the opportunity of restoring your faith in our hotel once again.

Please contact me personally when booking your next stay and I will certainly do what I can to enhance your stay.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

booked hotel on17 april 2014 the smell the noise no hot water for a shower 1 towel for 2 people room was very poor old fashion tv dident have sound heard every noise in hotel all nite i triped over loose carpets all over hotel squeeky floor boards i would never go back or recommend this hotel to my worst enemy thats how bad it is would of being better sleeping in my car.

Room Tip: sorry not at this hotel
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Robert M

Reviewed April 17, 2014

We decided to take a trip to the East coast to show our daughter an old fashioned seaside town,and spent one night at The Royal.we got a really good deal on Booking.com and were very pleased to find on arraival that we had been given The Churchill suite at the front of the hotel,above the front door with a seaview.The old fashioned grandeur of the hotel was lovely to see ,and our room was clean ,tidy with grand furnishings,by no means tired as said in somr reviews.
We did eat breakfast the following morning,which was fine,hot,no complaints all in all.

Room Tip: Front of hotel for seaview.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank BellasmummyUk
GM-Britannia, General Manager at Royal Hotel Scarborough, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment on the hotel, we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed April 17, 2014

Bedrooms were fine and spacious with a lovely big bathroom. The pool area was disappointing, very small, 4/5 unsupervised children, and it was tiny. We ate in the restaurant £17.50 for a 3 course meal, the lasagne starter was dry, the salmon over cooked, and chicken overlooked. The almond tart was hard around the edges, a total disappointment, but the breakfast was lovely, apart from the scrambled egg which was swimming in water!! Staff were really friendly, but sadly I wouldn't visit again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

I am sorry to read that we haven’t met your expectations of the service we offer here at the hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to post your comments. Perhaps if you had given us the opportunity to discuss your comments and observations at the time, we could have had the opportunity to address them. We can only improve the service we offer by receiving both positive and constructive comments.

Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

We booked a short family break at this Victorian seaside hotel through Late Rooms. A very good price for the 4 of us in the easter holidays. On arrival we find we had been allocated a suite, above the front door with sea view. More than enough room for us and a grand feel.

The staff we encountered were in the main excellent, with Jackie on reception being exceptional, remembering our kids names and looking after us really well.

Breakfast on each day was busy, but well managed, and the food of good standard. One toaster was broken, as previous reviewers have noticed, but it was not too much of an issue as the other was working fine.

The building itself is in need of some serious TLC, as you would expect from a grand Victorian building, but it was encouraging to see builders on site. The upkeep of such a premises must be a major undertaking. We hope that Britannia Hotels are able to invest enough to keep up with the ongoing deterioration on this and the stunning Grand Hotel next door, as this style of accommodation reminds us of how things used to be. The contract for a new carpet on the magnificent staircase alone must be eyewatering. (And it is needed, plain colour next time please. Dark blue would look magnificent)

We had a memorable stay in Scarborough; way above our expectations, and hope to return some day.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends