“Grand old hotel”

Ranked #27 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Mitcham, surrey
“Grand old hotel”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

My wife and I had a two night break here in late June. We had a standard room as all the sea view rooms had gone so we were a little concerned at what we would find. We need not have worried - our room on the 4th floor was spacious modern and clean with the biggest bathroom one has ever seen. The public areas are a little tired but the grand staircase and restaurant give a good impression of what the hotel must have been like in its heyday. We stayed on a bed and breakfast basis on a Sunday and Monday night. Sunday was very quiet with few guests. 3 coma loads turned up on Monday and the place was much busier was still not overwhelmingly so. Breakfast was really very good. The buffet was replenished frequently and so there was never cooked food sitting around for ages. The quality was exceptional for such a busy service on both days. We can heartily recommend the hotel for the quality of the rooms and the food. Yes, some of the corridors could do with a lot of work but so what? Well done Britannia and thanks to the staff who were always friendly, helpful and professional.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DerekPMitcham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (761)
  • Polish first
Castleford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed at Royal with family and friends for 2 nights at the end of June. Our rooms were clean and spacious one family room and a double room with a spa bath and sea view. Breakfast was buffet style and was fine, all 6 people in our group enjoyed it. Had a few drinks in the bar during happy hour £2.20 for a pint not bad at all, quite expensive after happy hour which finishes at 6 o'clock. Bar staff friendly and helpful. We also had a snack in the bar area which was fine and not too expensive.
The only problem I have with the hotel is the poor disabled facilities. My mum is in a wheelchair with little mobility. You have to wait and wait and wait just to get into the hotel because staff operate the small lift, and if they are busy on reception this can take a while. There are no toilets suitable for a wheelchair user in the bar or reception area. These are either down a flight of stairs or up in the lift to first floor and then down a few steps, so neither were an option. We went back up to our room on third floor when mum needed to use the toilet. There are movable ramps for access from the lift to reception and into the dining room, but again you have to wait for staff to move these. The entrance lift also broke while we were there and we had to use the fire exit at the rear of the dining room which was down a small steep slope.
I would stay at the Royal again, but not with a disabled person, it was the only let down to our stay. All the staff we met were helpful and friendly. Hotel looks like it needs more staff but that's probably head office trying to keep staff costs down to maximise profit.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank LynneC2007
northants
Reviewed July 8, 2013

we stayed here on a 3 night deal with groupon. It was not cheap. The room we were put in the first night was very dark and looked out to the dark roof/back of buildings. The dust was at lest 3 inches thick on the top the radiators under the grill. Must be the oldest dust around!! The dinner was terrible. I realised that there was no vegi dishes and had to ask, but the time it would take to prepare it meant that my husband had finished his, so went without dinner even though I prepaid. Complained to the manager who told me it was my fault, as I did not read the menu on the way in!!!! Hotel advertises free internet access but this is not available in your room and only in the lounge, but then it takes at least 20 minutes to get on!. Overall this was one of the worse weekends I have had, dirty plates/cups/ manager who did not care whether you came back or not, breakfast was limited. I can't really think of anything nice to say about it. I suggest that you check out the Crescent hotel or the palm court hotel, prices seem to be about the same.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
5 Thank balbirfranklin

Travelers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Saltburn-by-the-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We had a cheap 2 night break at the Royal thanks to Groupon...£79.00 bed and breakfast.
The Royal belongs to the Brittania group and we felt the hotel was very good.A bit tired looking inside and out but what do you expect ,it is a very old hotel.

The staff were very nice and pleasant and the rooms were very comfortable and clean.
Breakfast was excellent.

Caters a lot for the eldery, bus trips etc.
Parking not so easy but their is a NCP car park nearby and you get a 10% discount from the hotel.Fairly central to all amenities and shops.
Highly recommended.

2 Thank bonnieb197247
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

I love to be in Scarborough, it is my favourite place, a good clean beach and a harbour puts a smile on this old face! The hotel is fantastic, perfect for me. A lovely room that's clean and bright and even a kettle for a cup of tea! I'm always made welcome and made to feel just FINE. The service is great and the food just DIVINE! With people to chat to and staff always there, some of the comments are simply 'unfair'! Steve is always there to help in everyway, nothing is too much trouble and goes above and beyond the call of duty to make my stay as comfortable as possible. The entertainment with "Dougie" is always a joy he lifts spirits and egos oh what a boy! To me the hotel is perfect and does a good job, I just wish it was "we" me and my Bob! Will be back soon, Thank you very much

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Margery S
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Stayed for 5 nights in June 2013.
It is a marvellous old Hotel in the centre of Scarborough,handy for everything Scarborough has to offer.
The room we had was large and clean and had a sea view. It was a little old fashioned but perfectly comfortable. The bathroom was large and had been modernised.
The public areas are very impressive and comfortable with sea views. A great place to sit and have a drink after a day out.
The food in the restaurant was good and the service very friendly and helpful.
This is a very old Hotel with character. Don't expect modern perfect decorations and facilities.
Parking is a problem. There is none at the hotel. We used the nearest long stay car park at £6 a day.

3 Thank Richard Y
Glasgow
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We stayed at this hotel in June,on arrival we were allocated the room on entering room terrible smell . The mattress was to small for the bed base ,this was changed. Later while sitting in room I noticed black mark on side window wall on moveing picture the picture was covering very damp patch. I once again went to reception and asked to speak to manager whom I asked for payment to be returned , Was asked to view another room this was a suite which was slightly a bit better, only you could not see out windows for the dirt. Breakfast a lot to be desired. On the whole I would stay well away from this Hotel as this has went down hill very much.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple