“Keep your expectations realistic” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal Hotel Scarborough

Royal Hotel Scarborough
Ranked #27 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
west yorkshire
“Keep your expectations realistic”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2011

This is a period property, of the old style, so keep your expectations realistic and don't book expecting a contemporary hotel with fine dining.

Our family room (twin beds and a cot - although they had fogotten to put the cot in and didn't know how to set it up) was perfectly adequate and had a good sea view. It was clean and comfortable and the bathroom was fine, with a good shower over the bath.

The staff were definitely struggling, but mainly because the place was full and busy. We got the impression throughout that the hotel was short-staffed and some staff seemed to be permanently on duty the whole 3 days/nights.

However, despite some shortcomings, let me add that the staff were SUPERB when it came to the lively 2-year old who was sharing our weekend break. Nothing was too much trouble and all the staff made a point fo speaking to the little man, making him and us feel very welcome. Milk required in the early hours of the morning? Not a problem. Front doors unlocked at 6am so we could take him out in the pushchair ?(he wide awake and just wanting to run around and play) Not a problem. Little man getting a bit fed up towards bedtime? One of the waiters gave him a model of Spiderman to play with - and didn't want it back. I was amazed how patient the staff were with our little one, as were most of the guests.

So, for us, there were more positives than negatives and the location of the hotel is an added bonus. Easy access to the town centre for shopping, and to the sea-front (via the tramway directly opposite). If you want luxury, fine dining and a smart spa experience, this isn't the hotel for you, but as a basic 3-star it's just fine.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (737)
  • Polish first
aintree
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2011

After being moved from sister hotel Hackness Grange we weren't expecting much. And boy did the Royal exceed expectations. A dirty, sad, old dump staffed by people who don't care (or are embarrassed by the place) and treat the mainly very elderly guests like refugees from a geriatric ward. If you are under 60 give this a wide berth. Give Scarborough a miss really. A beautiful location but a town that doesn't care and stopped investing many years ago - its given up and only appeals to cut price coach parties. Great place to make you appreciate coming home.....

Room Tip: Don't turn the lights on
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2011

I have just returned from, what was suppose to be a wedding anniversary treat for my friends. I have already left a reveiw on the Royal Hotel website, but after reading the reviews on this page, I feel I need to comment on the rudeness of the area manager.
You seriously need to speak to your staff, they are extemely rude they just dont care about the guests.
You also need to check out other resturants as if that is your standard of good food I feel very sorry for you.
You dont seem to understand that people pay to stay here, not to be insulted.
There is no opportunity to complian, if your ignored!
I understand you defend your hotel and staff thats comendable, but your not listening to the people who are paying for you to be employed!
You really need to do something if you want people to keep coming to your hotel.
Dont you think its about time you updated the first reveiw you see on the hotel as it is three years old.
To anyone reding this review, please go to hotel website, o.k hotel if your desparate but please dont eat evening meal here.
Oh yes just to mention I would have put this in writing but, would expect to be ignored, as I was at hotel so decided to put my feelings across this way instead, as I have every right to do so.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank melanie051
Durham
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2011

Having had good meals in the Royal's restaurant I jumped at the chance at staying at the hotel - big mistake - I should have read the reviews first!!

Check in was from 3pm - we arrived at 3-15 to be told that our room wouldn't be ready until 4-30pm, no apology, just told to 'come back at 4-30pm'. We duly returned at 4-30, collected the key and went up to our 'Superior Room'. Quite a musty unpleasant smell as we entered, then we discovered that the room had not been cleaned since the previous guest*s had left - excrement still in the toilet pan!! Went straight back to reception to complain - no apology given - just another room key to 'save you waiting around'!

The replacement room had been cleaned, but was quite worn & tatty - this was supposed to be a 'superior room'. The view from the window was onto a grotty back yard and the floor of the room was actually on a slant, meaning that the mirror and pictures were all not straight.

We then ventured into the leisure club - this was unmanned - asked a fellow guest where the towels were and was shown a clear plastic bag on the floor, with towels just thrown in (I actually thought this was the 'used' towels). The changing rooms (both ladies and gents) were smelly and dirty - not what you would expect from a 3 star establishment.

In all I visited reception 4 times that day - on each occasion I found a different guest complaining. Reception staff seemed indifferent to the complaints, like it was just run of the mill for them, this is not a good sign, VERY POOR customer service.

The only positive thing was the breakfast and the staff serving - but sadly this really was an overall GRIM experience - thank goodness we only stopped one night. We could not wait to leave this '3 Star' hotel - described as 'one of the best in Scarborough' - I think not!!!!!

My advice is don't waste your money on stopping here.

Location
      Rooms
1 Thank PRWDurham
yorkshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2011

I have just returned from a one night stay HERE and feel violated and misled. We stayed for a superior night in a three star hotel. What an absolute joke. The hotel is dirty, the staff are embarrassed to speak as they know everyone is about to complain.
Where do I start? The superior room should be £220 ? I don't think so , the bed linen is dirty , the bathroom was dirty the net curtains were dirty. The room was totally substandard for superior expectations, I dread to see the other rooms. I have stayed in budget hotels of better quality than this and would much rather have stayed in one last night. The windows were so thin that we heard all the pub noise until 5 am this morning - I understand that this is an old hotel and need to keep the windows in keeping but thicker glass can be placed in these windows. We used the leisure centre, no towels, the jacussi wasn't working , where was the steam room mentioned in the rooms literature
? or is that as out of date as the poster on the back of the door " New in 2008 " about the beauty rooms?
'
We didnt eat in the dining room as some fellow guests warned us off the standard of the service and quality of the food so left the hotel for our evening meal, should have done the same for breakfast .On arrival for breakfast we were asked to wait 5 minutes as no tables were cleared for a table for two - we waited 15 minutes , for a disgraceful breakfast, over cooked sausages, vinegary cheap condiments, no yogurt and no glasses for orange juice - I felt so sorry for the staff who had an entire dining room of people to look after in exactly the same situation.

I find it mostly upsetting that they can advertise this on their website for something that you can not deliver, I would have not paid £69 for this knowing what I have seen now and on speaking to most other guests I wont be the only person to complain. Group on is an opportunity for you to market your business and get excellent word of mouth this unfortunately for yourselves will have an adverse effect - only have to see the reviews on tripadvisor- if only 'Id read them before parting with my £69. If this hadn't been prepaid I wouldn't have been paying that on check out today. If we hadnt realised the shambolical state of thehotel so late in the day and our car wasnt locked in the NCP overnight we wouldn't have stayed the night that is how strongly I feel about this.

I believe that we have been totally violated by prepaying for something that was promised as a " superior " room in an excellent hotel and this has'nt been delivered.

Room Tip: Dont bother
2 Thank sickness
Peterborough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2011

My husband and I went to Scarborough for a romantic weekend. We ordered a superior room and a bottle of bubbly at the Royal hotel. Instead of superior room we got a standard twin room. And the staff refused to do anything about it! So we had to push two beds together. Once we asked about the champagne that we ordered the lady at the reception "couldn't find our order". Few hours later a male staff brought the champagne and he walked into our room without even knocking!! I was getting changed and he did not even apologise and kept walking around our room. My husband got really mad and asked him to leave.
The shower was full of pubic hair and the towels were dirty. The room itself didn't look like it was cleaned and the curtains have long changed their colour from white to grey. We are not a picky couple and normally are just happy to stay in a budget hotel as long as it's clean. But this was horrendous and below any hygiene standards.
Finally, we went to sleep and suddenly a strange lady unlocked our room and walked in inside!!! Apparently she got lost, and easily unlocked our room with her key.. What does that say about the hotel security...So the next night we booked in a nice little b&b.
Please please don't spend your money and don't stay in this hotel.

5 Thank jablonske
Grimsby, N E lincs, England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2011

what a hotel food was terrible had to wait up to 45mins before main meal did not wait for a sweet and the bar prices needed a bank loan they said that they were short staffed and you could tell we booked for a two night break but left after one could not stand it any longer would not recommend this hotel to anybody .

Location