“Fantastic BUT Needs to be doubled in size”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Eat Me Cafe

Eat Me Cafe
Ranked #7 of 352 Restaurants in Scarborough
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Cash Only, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Eat Me Cafe sits quietly in a backstreet of Scarborough behind the world-famous Stephen Joseph Theatre. We offer a diverse multicultural menu, serving hand-packed burgers, Japanese Ramen, Shetland Pie, Thai Curries.... And much much more. 95% Of our food is made in-house from scratch. Our wide range of cakes changes daily. We serve our own much loved blend of coffee, fair trade certified and expertly roasted by The Heavenly Coffee Company and this can't be found anywhere else. All our food is cooked to order, and at busy times there may be a delay. Our chips are skin on for goodness and seasoned with Eat Me's own blend seasoning. We only use Butter on our breads and please be aware that Our Kitchen contains nuts, both kinds. If you have special dietary requirements please let us know and we will try to accommodate. We always have dairy free butter alternatives and soya milk on request, as well as Gluten Free bread for those sandwich requirements. Also, during the day when busy you may be asked to share a table, you never know who you might meet. We love Yorkshire and Scarborough and were so proud to receive The Good Food Guide Cafe of the Year 2014 award and be in the guide again for 2015. We embrace our quirkiness, bringing a smile to our customers faces from the moment they walk in! Finally if you are in a rush for the theatre, the train or collecting the kids please let us know, we will do all we humanly can!
Scarborough, United Kingdom
“Fantastic BUT Needs to be doubled in size”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

Eat Me Cafe is a quirky 'off the beaten track' Cafe.It reminds me of cafe's in San Fransisco and San Diego, Rustic,arty and cosy.Even a simple thing as pouring water is made to be enjoyable served in kilner topped bottles.Only trouble is, they are soooo good at what they do, they need a bigger place as it's full everytime we pass or go there.That is not a negative comment,it's a success story in a recession.
The food is beautiful, as is the presentation. They now have a deli' selling high quality local preserves, chutney's and all sorts of items like an old suitcase that has legs on it,and the most lovely sour dough bread. I took it home it was gone in 2 minutes the whole family loved it.

2 Thank Debbie190744

Scarborough. United Kingdom
“More than a Cafe”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

Excellent service, quality food, great ambient atmosphere to relax, nice decor with some nice little touches. These guys know how to run an exceptional Cafe/Bistro.

Filey, United Kingdom
“Good but....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

First visit. Had to book well ahead. The meal would have been good value for money if two of the dishes hadn't been below par. The warm beef salad was raw and rubbery and the Thai style pork had a sauce which was so salty my daughter had to leave it. When told about these two dishes the staff excused them away by saying that the beef and pork were supposed to be like that. The rest of the dishes were excellent, but won't be going back. Consistency is important and so is listening to your customers.

• Visited February 2013
3 Thank Fileyfinch
marste007, Owner at Eat Me Cafe, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Hi
And thanks for your time to provide this review, we value all our customers and reviews can help us better understand our business needs.
We are sorry that being as popular in the evenings as we are means that our customers do have to book somewhat in advance, we never thought we would have such a busy bookings diary. The menu choices commented on weren't both available on the same fortnights menu so we are somewhat confused with the review. The warm beef salad is served rare, which is explained prior to ordering, and can be served more to the individuals requirements if asked for, the bavette steak used is best served rare, having been marinated for several hours prior to searing, this ensures a delicious and succulent serving of this particular starter. The Thai style pork wasn't available that evening, but it was the Crispy Caramel Pork that was on the same menu, if asked the staff should have informed you that the flavourings are Thai in nature which reflects that they encompass "salty, sweet, sour and hot" in their dishes as complimentary flavours for their palettes. This combination is reflected in the Caramel Pork dish, had we been made aware of any issue at the time we would have gladly offered an alternative, but please be ensured that in the 2 weeks these dishes were on, we had only positive feedback from our customers, and in fact these are 2 of our most popular dishes when available and we do get asked when they will next be on the menu by many of our regulars.
We are sorry that you feel that although the other dishes were excellent and service and atmosphere was good for you, you won't be coming back. We do always listen to our customers, we wouldn't be in business if we didn't as it is imperitif to a successful business to listen to all feedback, whether critical or jubilant.
Regards
Team Eat Me
Scarborough, United Kingdom
“Quirky and original”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

We came on a Thursday lunchtime and upon entering two things were immediately noticeable. Firstly it was very busy and we had the only available table left, secondly it did not smell of the ubiquitous fried food like some cafes do. The menus are on little clipboards and easy to navigate.
A quick walk through the menu starts with breakfasts up until 11am. A full brekkie including coffee and juice comes in at £5.80 which I think is good value considering the locally sourced ingredients. Other breakfast options include veggie breakfast, scrambled eggs, boiled eggs and the usual buttys at £3 each. There are also beans on toast and creamed mushrooms on toast.
The next page is a variety of melts, omlettes, welsh rarebit. I won't list them all but by now my mouth was watering. So the next page really got me going. Their quirky tin plate meals have a sort of post war feel about them coming served in a white enamalled tin bowl and wrapped in grease proof paper. My GF went for the chicken and chorizo with brown rice and coleslaw. This was priced at £5.50. She loved it and it was soon gone.
Also on this page is the Ramen bowls giving an option of chicken,tofu, duck or all three in the "eatme Ramen", which is what I went for. I have only ever eaten Ramen in Soho so was anxious to see how this turned out. It was delicious. My only criticism would be that the waitress gave me some crushed dried chilli to sprinkle on top when I would have much prefered chopped fresh chilli. This was £6.50.
Did not have desserts but the cakes they had on display looked fantastic. They have a different menu on an evening which changes every two weeks. Check out their website for details.
To drink I had an espresso and gf had a latte. This is where my other criticism lies. Some establishments routinely serve you a glass of iced water with your espresso to cleanse your palate afterwards. I wasn't given one, which I have no problem with, so I asked for one. The waitress explained they didn't have ice, which again was no problem, so I asked for a glass of water. She pointed at some bottles of tap water on the side and said I could help myself. Quite why she couldn't bring me one over I do not know as she was a lot nearer than I and surely service is her job ?
They have no drinks licence so it's BYO but for a corkage of £1 which I think is a bit of a cheek considering one is spending money on their food. Decor is modern. No cards accepted for payment. I love the fact that they champion local produce and have a quirky approach to presentation. I shall be back very soon. This business has now opened up a deli just down the road in their former premises.

yorkshire
“The train keeps a rollin!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

Can t remember how many times I or we or us have visited Eat Me! As a couple, as a family, and with friends but I remember this!! Everytime we go there it is a classic meal, I won t bore you all with my menu choice all I will say is this place has to be on your Bucket List its that good, book a table and visit the current best place to eat in Scarborough, you won t be disappointed. Can t wait back there next week!!

• Visited February 2013