“simply wonderful in all resects”
Review of Wrea Head Hall

Wrea Head Hall
Ranked #1 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed September 25, 2008

We visited the Wrea Head back in 2004 and almost booked it as our wedding venue ..but I wanted a view of the sea ..so we promised ourselves we would return to this lovely spot one day ..and did so just recently - Sept 2008 - for our 4th wedding anniversary. We were so delighted we did. The house is an old country house so the rooms are quirky shapes not like modern hotels and we find this a huge plus - the place has character and individuality . Our room ( no 6) wasn't the quietest as its just at the top of the stairs, (but there isn't a lot of traffic after midnight so we didn't mind eavesdropping on the odd conversation!) .. it was beautifully decorated with plush new carpet and heavy drapes, a lovely view and a very comfy bed!
The setting is idyllic - tranquil, peaceful grounds on the edge of a country village with duck pond ..the food is fabulous ..and if you book on the internet as I did there are many bargains to be had..we paid £335 for two of us for two nights Dinner ( 3 course) Bed and Breakfast and a bottle of champagne on arrival, in a Superior double room. ( Always upgrade you really do want the view over those gardens ..the Sept sunset was perfection ..) We felt we got a bargain. The best part of this excellent weekend however was the truly remarkable staff. After our weekend at the dismal George and Dragon last year with the scary shouty manageress I thought I would never venture into N Yorks again- I was so glad I did. Lovely Ann ( the manager ) and her wonderful hard working staff did their upmost from the moment we arrived to the moment we left to be pleasant, friendly, obliging (without being over powering) and genuinely warm and welcoming. (Special mention to Tim for his skills in the lost property finding department!) This is so rare and yet makes such a difference - we could hardly tear ourselves away . And we will definitely be back - see you at Xmas Ann!

There are newer reviews for Wrea Head Hall

Reviewed September 14, 2008

Recently had a three night stay at this hotel. The hotel is beautifuly situated. The room was modern,clean,spacious,with a view over the gardens.The staff were,without exception,friendly and welcoming.The manageress was approachable,helpful and knowledgeable. We will certainly recomend this hotel to our friends!

Reviewed September 10, 2008

Have just spent a long weekend at the Wrea Head and will definitely return.
From the moment of our arrival we were made to feel welcome, and the staff could not have been more friendly or helpful.
We had a delightful room with all the amenties we needed, but the hotel also has some delightful sitting areas for guests, both indoors and out.
The food was excellent; much better than we would have expected for a country hotel with no competition on the immediate doorstep (Scarborough is about 20 minutes drive away.) Drinks prices were reasonable for a hotel.
The hotel is situated in vast grounds so no parking problems and is well placed for the coastal reports and the North York Moors.
I'd recommend this for walkers -because of the location - and for couples wanting an away-from-it -all break.

Reviewed September 9, 2008

My wife and I were due to stay at this hotel on 18th July 2008 to attend a friends wedding at a nearby hotel (which was fully booked). The day before our stay a very close and dearly loved relative died very suddenly. I had to travel to an Infirmary in Cumbria at short notice which also resulted in my being delayed over 120 miles from Scarborough until late on the evening of the 18th. I contacted the Wrea Head booking office to inform them we were unable to make the journey due to a sudden bereavement. I was informed I may not get all of my money back as I had paid in full.
I received no further information so wrote a polite letter, the response from the senior manager was that I must have known no refund would be forthcoming because they couldn't re-let the room. There was no offer of a partial refund or even the offer of a reduced stay at some stage in the future. This was despite them being fully informed of my very difficult and distressing circumstances. I find this totally unacceptable and quite disgraceful. I will never go near any English Rose Hotel again because the senior management appear to have no decency when dealing with customers who unfortunately find themselves in an extremely difficult situation.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank JOHN_M82
Reviewed September 2, 2008

A very warm friendly staff, were extremely helpfull and made our two children very welcome. The food was outstanding, and the children are well catered for. The hotel sits in beautiful gardens, very enjoyable weekend

Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed August 27, 2008

Lovely setting,enjoyable sitting in the peaceful gardens.Good rooms but we did add a premium so expected.Not locally produced sausage for breakfast ,seemed run of the mill factory produced. Why oh why did we have to do our own toast with inefficient toasters.Spoilt breakfast as had to be aware when the toaster was free. Would visit again for the superb location.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank stibbard
Reviewed August 25, 2008

My wife and I stayed 2 nights at the Wrea Head to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary in August 2008.

The Hotel was excellent, with great staff who were very willing to help and made our stay most enjoyable. The Manager led by example as she went out of her way to show interest in us and to ensure we had a great stay.

The food was particularly good and service impeccable.
Our room (19) was large and the hotel and grounds were lovely and tranquil with beautiful grounds to walk in and enjoy afternoon tea overlooking the lawns in the sunshine.

For people wanting a “grown up” and relaxing location in an English country house I would strong recommend they try this place. Ian & Liz.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
The Crown Spa Hotel
Palm Court Hotel
Palm Court Hotel
#12 of 26 in Scarborough
Hackness Grange Country House Hotel

Been to Wrea Head Hall? Share your experiences!