“What a Joy!”

Ranked #1 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Nottingham
“What a Joy!”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is the 4th year we have stayed here & it's been great to witness the transformation.
The bedrooms have for the most part all been refurbished - the bar & restaurant have duly had the same care & attention lavished on them & of course the grounds remain as tranquil as ever.
The food is truly delicious,carefully prepared & served. Which only leaves me to mention the staff,who I have to say from the most senior to the junior are delightful. They seem as if they actually enjoy doing their job - a rarity these days. Can't wait for our next stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank swiftcater

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (481)
southyorkshire
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We have just returned from another lovely stay at Wrea Head Hall, our room, 14 , which has recently been renovated, had lovely views over the front grounds ,We had our evening meal in the hotel which again was very tasty and well presented.We took friends with us this time and they were equally impressed!! the staff are all friendly and willing to assist,The hotel has a nice bar area and conservatory with comfy chairs ,I am sure we will return again next year!!

redcar
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We stayed one night for the "spring special offer" overall we were very impressed with the hotel, the service was great, food was great and thought the building and grounds were wonderful. The room however we thought could have been better and the shower needed looking at, there was also an awful smell in our corridoor. Having said this we had a good nights sleep and will come back at some point.

1 Thank georgina h
yorkshire
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We made a late booking for one night a few days in advance. Our room no 8 was not one of the refurbished ones but this was quite clear on the website and in fact the room was fine. The furnishings are somewhat dated but the room is light and airy with lovely views and the bathroom was in good condition and immaculately clean. We checked in about 3.30 after a busy day and were shown to our room. I was in need of a cup of tea so unpacked and used the kettle in the room. I had forgotten our deal included afternoon tea, remiss of me of course, and although we didn't want afternoon tea (in anticipation of dinner) I would have expected the lady who showed us to our room to mention afternoon tea was being served. We went to the bar for pre dinner drinks, my husband doesn't drink alcohol but likes a 'sharp' drink with and before dinner, so a gin and tonic for me and a non alcoholic beer for my husband. Oops no non alcoholic beer, an immediate point deduction from me, it is available in most places these days and how hard can it be to stock a few bottles, I would expect any reputable hotel to do so. Dinner was Ok but not special. The marinated salmon starter was a non event, my husband had a beef dish which he said was good. I opted for the vegetarian lasagne. Now at this point I should have known better and asked for a salad, this seems the to be the default vegetarian dish and was bland and stodgy, there was another vegetarian dish on the other menu, I can't remember the details but it involved camembert of brie, another veggie standard which didn't appeal. Come on chefs everywhere, there are some fabulous veggie recipes out there, quick and easy to prepare and just waiting for you to be inspired. I am actually not a vegetarian as such, I just don't particularly like meat or fish and just prefer vegetables. The desserts, bread and butter pudding and raspberry crème brulee were delicious. Water was poured as soon as we were seated in the restaurant and we expected someone to take drinks orders. This never happened and when the main course was served we had to ask for them. Breakfast was probably fine if you are 'the full english' breakfast type. my husband had cereal and a cooked breakfast which was excellent. However the buffet table looked a bit pathetic. it was a few bowls of cereal and yoghurt plus a small dish of prunes, dried apricots and 2 small dished of fruit salad. Nothing to tempt me. I ordered eggs benedict which was excellent but not really my first breakfast choice. What would I have liked? An individual plate of fresh fruit followed by a croissant or Danish pastry, pretty standard fare for an hotel these days.. Hated the bar décor, some designers can put modern into and old building brilliantly but for me the chrome and glass didn't work, but hey that's my personal opinion and didn't detract from my G & T. So would I stay again? well yes actually I would because I believe this is a work in progress and when the refurbishment is complete and if the menu is tweaked it will be excellent, The setting is beautiful and I would think he conservatory and terrace are a joy on a sunny day

1 Thank lottie-grace
Scarborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 24, 2013

On Sunday 7th April, 26 members of my family gathered at the Wrea Head Hotel for Sunday Lunch, to celebrate my father's 70th Birthday. We dined in our own wood paneled dining room, with excellent service and fantastic food. We then moved into the bar area for coffee and birthday cake, relaxing in comfortable armchairs with open views and direct access to the gardens. Apart from the food, this was a high point for the 10 children in our party who were able to run freely in the gardens, climbing trees, playing football and exploring the undergrowth. All-in-all, a truly memorable day, enjoyed by all. I would thoroughly recommend WHH for Sunday Lunch.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Scarborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 23, 2013

With friends from Scarborough ( We are local too. ) and Australia we were celebrating further my partner's birthday which was three weeks ago. It was a gift from our Oz friends and had been greatly anticipated. The hotel and grounds, always impressive, in the 8 years since I've been occasionally visiting this venue, haven't changed visibly but, my goodness, the quality of the service and the food has certainly improved tremendously. We were none of us staying in the hotel but we could see from an exhibition in the Reception area what quality the rooms have to offer, which was gratifying since other good friends were to be staying the following night. The food we ate and the way it was served was far superior to anything we've eaten there in recent years and speaking to one of the new owners at some length ( They have had the hotel for 13 months. ) we are reassured of the elegant times we hope to have there in the near future. I would say this is a must for any special celebration. We had a most enjoyable and wonderfully memorable evening. There were five of us and we were unanimous in our praise for the improvements, thereby making our evening thoroughly pleasant all round. We anticipate good remarks from our friends who are staying at Wrea Head Hall as I write, when we see them tomorrow at our own home here in this attractive resort of Scarborough where we love to live in our retirement.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

This was our second visit to Wrea Head Hall at Scalby,Scarborough with friends.We had room 18 & our friends had room 11,both had been refurbished and room 18 was excellent,with super views,however the mornings were quite cool and the heating although reported appeared to be temperamental; the room was a standard room and nicely decorated,with a very comfortable bed.The bathroom although very small was adequate,however care had to be taken with the sink,as it was easy to flood the floor,also a hook behind the door for dressing gowns,would have been useful.We also felt a mirror above the dressing table would have been useful,as the only mirror was in the bathroom.Our friends found room 11 very small,with no view and would only recommend this for one person on an overnight stay.The food as on our previous stay was excellent again,and the staff very friendly and attentive.We would like to thank Anne,Jack and Sean in particular for making our stay so enjoyable,and we would not hesitate in recommending the hotel to anyone wanting a break in the area.We notice the hotel has now moved into 1st place on Trip Adviser,and consider it well deserved.We look forward to our next visit.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
The Crown Spa Hotel
Weston Hotel
Weston Hotel
#2 of 28 in Scarborough
Hackness Grange Country House Hotel

Been to Wrea Head Hall? Share your experiences!