“Excellent food”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 18, 2014

Very busy pub but service and food were really good. The steak pie was a proper pie not just a puff pastry lid.

Reviewed August 17, 2014

We have eaten at this restaurant before and we're always pleased with it.
This time we had our 3 yr old grandson with us and some other family members as it was my husband's birthday.
I did mention this when I phoned to book and the lady told me that it was fine.
However when we arrived we were disappointed to find that we were seated in the entry part, right at the door, not in the actual restaurant.
When we queried this we were told that there were no other tables available as there was over 100 people dining that evening, and that anyway with a child we would always have had to sit in the "family area"
Had I been told this, I would have booked elsewhere, as this was a special night.
We tried to make the best of it, but as our food took so long in coming it wasn't easy.
I would suggest that in future it would be only fair to inform anyone booking with a child of the seating arrangements.
Also a few less bookings might make for less waiting time.

5  Thank MBW426
Reviewed August 16, 2014

Called here on Friday 15thAugust 2014 at 1-30pm. Got a very pleasant reception by the lady at the bar, very helpful and we found a table, menus presented and shown a specials board. What a choice! We both had Sally's steak pie.It was served with a good section of vegetables and some very tasty gravy, the pie was amazing complemented by the veg and very important tasted very home made. For dessert I had a fruit crumble with a jug of custard and this was heaven, my wife had brandy snap basket filled with butter ice cream,the wife is a big fan of ice cream and she has never had better.The service was very good without being intrusive and the interior is a traditional old pub with an enclosed garden with some facilities for children.The prices were very competitive and they must use the finest ingredients,they serve from a simple ham salad to steaks and Robin Hoods Bay Lobster. Do not miss visiting when in the area.

Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

We visit Bryherstones inn while we were on holiday, after seeing the reviewson Trip Advisor we just had to have a drive out to it. It's a lovely pub set in the Yorkshire countryside.

Drinks... Local ales lagers and ciders and what looked like lots of wine choices.

Food... The menu was hard to choose from and they also had a specials board with a steak board all the meat came from a local butcher.

I had gammon steak which was thick cut and juicy. The husband had Steak pie (Sallys famous) there was huge chunks of slow cooked steak. The kids had a kids meal of sausage & chips & fish fingers & chips. All good quality and they loved it.
With our mains we were given chips & seasonal vegetables.

We were too full for pudding!!!

Bill was £50 for 2 mains 2 kids meals 4 pints and 2 soft drinks.

We can't wait to visit again when were in the area.

1  Thank nicwayne
Reviewed August 15, 2014 via mobile

This is the third time I've eaten here and been really impressed each time. Went here with 5 others and were blown away by the food. The pub was busy so lucky we had booked. There were a good range of specials on the board along side the usual menu. Our group ate everything we were served! Belly pork, crab salad, steak burger and steak pie were all exceptional. The prices are a little more than average but the portion sizes justify this. The service was great and very attentive. Puddings were also good but struggled to find room for them. This is a wonderful place to eat for all occasions. Deservedly number 1 on trip advisor in Scarborough.