“High quality breakfast”

Ranked #16 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“High quality breakfast”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I had a single room that was nicely decorated and much larger than I expected. Very clean. The view from the room was awful and when opening the window due to the heat (no fans were available) about a dozen flies flew in.
Breakfast was extremely nice (full English) and there was a good choice of alternatives. Staff in the dining room were very friendly and professional. The reception staff let the place down. I felt invisible on several occasions with - staff ignoring me- one member of staff was attending to another visitor while another stood watching, totally ignoring me- on one occasion I was stood at the desk with no eye contact from the receptionist who was looking at some papers for about a minute - a member of staff arrived for work and the receptionist had a discussion with him, again ignoring me. There was no welcome or goodbye, a smile might have helped. I recommend a course on customer care and hospitality.
I managed to get a parking space straight outside. The cost was £3 per day. If you're leaving before 1pm then you don't need to pay for another day. Avoid parking near to the Grand hotel as the seagulls make an awful mess.
The cliff tram was a God send as it takes you up from the bottom, beach area to the side of the Grand, so very close to the Mount.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a sea view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
Reviewed August 3, 2013

At a first glance I fell in love with this “heritage” hotel. The old charm of the hotel inside and outside is captivating. The interior of the rooms and common areas speak of how this place has grown with time without losing its singularity. Coming from an oriental country from other side of the globe I was so pleased with the warm “Yorkshire” hospitality. The perfect English breakfast served by charming ladies along with apprentice and the very friendly Antonio. Though my room was not sea facing, I have enjoyed every bit of the peaceful and laidback time spent at Scarborough.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a 2 night break at the Mount. We booked a superior room with seaview, we picked this hotel because of the good reviews on Trip Advisor. Our room was good but not spotless, there was dust between the cupboards and in the bathroom dirt around the shower shield. The view obviously was lovely and worth paying extra for. I asked for a quiet room and was given a room next to the lift, not the quietist spot! However it didnt really cause a problem because I was woken up around 6 each morning by someone leaving their room early. The staff were pleasant but like another review I found the receptionist on arrival and departure slightly distracted and not giving us her full attention. Breakfast was lovely and the staff at breakfast time excellent. The hotel lounge and bar area were comfortable and I found our bed very comfy as well, the pillows were excellent. Overall a good experience but I might try another hotel next time.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2013

This hotel and its staff were just the best. Congratulations to the owner (lang may your lum reek!), and her staff: receptionist, and Antonio, waiter with his motorbike.

View: magnificent. We happened to visit at the beginning of July's heatwave, which does help the ambience, of course. Breakfast (they had an award for this): the best, the freshest. Forget your buffets: this is what a freshly prepared breakfast should be.

My wife and I visited, driving a Supercar (McLaren MP4): we could not park within 1/4 mile. Moral: arrive early to park in front of the hotel if you own an expensive car.

You must visit this hotel!

3 Thank A_TravellerFlorida
Northumberland National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We only booked for one night, but did not want to leave.We had a sea view room and what a view, the lady on reception was very helpful, parking is £3 per day,she took us up to are room and wow what a room with lounge well worth the money. We were on b/b,breakfast was fab i could not fault a thing hope to see you soon.

Room Tip: Go for sea view rooms
3 Thank Tonet2414
Nottingham
Reviewed July 9, 2013

You won't find slick, designer modernity at the Mount, or homogenous 'international' standards of hospitality.
What you will find is a comfortable, quirky hotel with gorgeous sea views, excellent cuisine at reasonable prices and a thoroughly warm, if not effusive, Yorkshire welcome.
Bar and lounge facilities are more than adequate, but choice of beers is poor and surely pop music has moved on since Little Michael Jackson!
These are minor criticisms and I would thoroughly recommend the Mount, which has a devoted and loyal clientele.

Room Tip: Do ask for a sea view. Our room on the top floor was roomy and well-furnished, with a large bathroo...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank delian
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We booked this hotel based on other reviews and the pictures attached to the website. I was going to book a guest house and wish i had, but decided to treat my wife to a nice hotel! Unfortunatley it was not what we expected, upon arrival we sensed this was not going to be good as the reception lady dealt with the 2 people in front of us we felt invisible there no acknowledgment that we were there, no "will be with you in a minute" as she twice dissapeared off from the reception desk for around 10 mins at a time whilst we just stood there! Our room 55 was at the top of the building whilst the room clean was furniture was faded 1970's chipboard not the nice wooden type in the pictures as like the tiny TV and grey faded curtain netting! The view was a rusting fire exit and derelict building! The shower was not brilliant either. As for the breakfast that was very average and definitley not worth the £15.00 they were asking if you were not a resident, service was slow and i had to send the fried bread back as it was dripping with oil when lifted of the plate! Whilst the place was clean we thought it was over priced and to be quite honest we have stayed in better quality friendlier guest houses with the same facilities for far less than the £130.00 we paid! You also have to bear in mind that i book over 200 rooms a year for staff accomodation and so know what to expect for the right price. Very dissapointed not the nice romantic break we envisgaed and would not reccommend!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple