“Reviewing a lifetime of visits.”
Review of The Mount Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Mount Hotel
Ranked #16 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Aberdeen, Scotland
“Reviewing a lifetime of visits.”
Reviewed January 5, 2012

I have been taken /visiting this Yorkshire gem since i was a baby, and my family has been going there for 20 years before i was even born. I am not sure what initially drew them to the hotel back in the 60's but i dare say it is largely down to the charisma and charm of the staff, building and especially Miss McCarther, or Helen to those who know her!!! The hotel is not your most modern, or your most swanky but it just has a certain je ne sais quoi that hits you on arrival.

Typically you will be met by one of the biggest dogs to ever roam the earth but do not fret, she will never do anything other than show effection. All of the rooms are sapcious but clearly in a place like Scarborough you want to be facing out over the bridge and South Bay.

Once you are settled into your room definately head down to the bar for a drink and there is a good chance Helen will serve you herself! I think that all other reviewers of this hotel will tell you that the Mount's Party Piece is the food. After going there every year up until my early 20's i can honestly say that they dont do bad food. In fact they dont do good food. They only do AMAZING food! Breakfast, lunch or dinner you will never be disappointed!

I know there are newer, hipper hotels but overall, nothing will beat this gem!

Room Tip: Ask for front facing hotel. If you have the money ask for the suites!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank Goviegovie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Barnsley, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2011

The Mount Hotel Scarbrough is run by Helen and has been in their family since 1947. Helen is a perfect host and she offers the best of hospitality for her guests. The food is both superb and plentyful, we opted to dine at the hotel and we were not disappointed. Theai accommodation is of a high standard rooms are clean and well maintained. The room price was more expensive than your average B&B but both the service and the food were second to none. We would recommend the mount to our friends as it is a large hotel with a fantastic view but still keeps its personal touch.

Room Tip: Room 58 is definitley the most spacous but we prefer a room on the front with the spectacular sea vi...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank K Baz R
Teesside UK
Reviewed October 26, 2011

My wife and I visit scarborough every October. I play in a weekend chess congress at the spar complex. I have tried all the other hotels in scarborough including some said to be 4 star and they dont compare to The Mount Hotel. We stayed in room 36 which is a suite, seperate bedroom lounge bathroom and walk in wardbrobe. Fantastic accomodation and easily better than any of the so called suites we have stayed in and for a lot less money.
The restaraunt needs to be seen to be believed. Set out and service like the savoy in London. Silver cutlery etc, highly polished. Proper napkins with a monogram and a napkin ring.
Quality of the food is excellent and plenty of it. Excellent views of the south bay area.
We will be using this family run hotel again next year and we can say without any equivocation this is one of the best hotels in scarborough. It does not have a swimming pool and is suited to a more discerning visitor perhaps without children but in our view these small matters are more than outweighed by the rest of its good point. They dont come much better than this one. The lady owner is maintaining standards seldom seen these days.

Room Tip: Room 36 is a suite- costs more but well worth it.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Whiteknight666
newcastle on Tyne
Reviewed August 6, 2011

We had paid in advance for rooms at Travelodge St Nicholas (see my review) and discovered at 11 pm. that they were overbooked and full. We moved to The Mount. How fortunate we were. We had two excellent, large ensuite rooms with fantastic views over the sea. The rooms and bathrooms were ultra clean and comfortable. There was a large choice for breakfast which was excellent and the staff friendly and cheerful. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
8 Thank DBSA42
Mansfield, Nottnghamshire
Reviewed February 14, 2011

After refusing to stay at The Grand we stayed at The Mount Hotel which was lovely. Clean and welcoming and lovely and warm which is a must in Scarborough in February! The staff couldn't do enough for you and the breakfast was the best I've had for years.
I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Jacky18
Lincolnshire
Reviewed January 30, 2011

When my partner and I got together back in the 1980's we decided to try Scarborough, as she used to go there as a child with her parents. We sent off for 4 or 5 brochures, the only one that came back, literally the next day was from The Mount Hotel. I thought that was a good sign. Needless to say, we opted for The Mount, and we've been back there every year since, and for the past 10 years or so, twice, in May and September. When my company changed my sales area (I'm a sales rep.), to include North Yorkshire, there was only one place I could stay, and that means a visit every 4 weeks . Marks out of 5 in the above rating are not sufficient, everything about the place, the service, location, staff, food is first class and really needs marks out of 100, they would score 100 every time. The only drawback, parking is a bit of a problem, especially during the summer months.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
6 Thank LincolnshireSalesman
Newcastle
Reviewed August 26, 2010

I took my mum here for a 2 night break. The hotel is in an ideal location, close to the 'cliff lift'. My mum doesnt walk very well and would not have been able to climb the hill. Staff are very friendly and helpful. We had 2 single rooms on the top floor. The rooms are in definite need of refurbishment. However, all needs were met. Breakfast was not buffet style, and was very nice. We didnt stay in the hotel for dinner. There is one small lift which struggles to cope at busy times. Reasonably priced considering location.

Stayed August 2010