“Good”

Peterborough, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We had two evening meals here during a recent holiday. On the first I had Cottage Pie with veg and chips and my fiance Thai Noodles. Both were very tasty altho I left most of the chips. The second evening he ordered Lobster Curry and steak for myself followed by Syrup Sponge and Custard and Strawberries with Cream. Very nice although the steak was a little tough and beware the whole red chilli in the curry, which is meant to be mild????
Staff friendly and efficient, atmosphere nice and price reasonable.
Amazing view from the balcony tables.
There is a lift to the restaurant, downstairs is a takeaway, which was plenty big enough to accommodate a wheelchair.

Darlington, United Kingdom
“Nice view and.... that's it.”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We went today to Scarborough for a nice day out and, after a while of walking up and down the beach we decided to go and get some food. We first went to this newish, "family friendly", place just to find out that everything else but pizza had sold out. So, in Scarborough and no fish. So we went up the other way and found the Oasis Cafe and Restaurant. Initially we were very happy and comfortable with the place, the wonderful and relaxing view of the sea made us dream with a lovely fish lunch... So, we ordered dressed crab to share and some fish and chips... when the crab arrived and I tried it, some parts of it were warm and, as I was going deeper with the fork it went colder and colder, up to the point that I found half of the crab to be frozen! When I pointed it out to the waitress she apologised and took it away, only to come back and say that the crab was meant to be served cold! It hadn't been properly defrosted on the microwave! And how long had it been frozen for? Then the fish and chips arrived... a big lump of a fish covered in a big and thick mass of grease accompanied by a mountain of greasy and flavourless chips. When I say "big lump of a fish" I don't mean cod or haddock... it had a taste I'd never had before and up to now, I can't still identify it (yes, it's still lingering in my mouth after having brushed my teeth several times since). By the end of the "meal" I just paid and wasn't too impressed when the half-defrosted crab dish hadn't been discounted off the bill. I just want YOU to take notice of our experience and make sure to avoid it!

2 Thank OrganOlive
York, United Kingdom
“A lovely place for lunch”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We drove past this place & noted it to try for lunch. We were not disappointed. Sat upstairs, great views across the bay & friendly service. I had a seafood penang curry, (cooked by the Thai chef) which was excellent & i love Thai food. Bit of a false start as originally i wanted the seafood pie which our server explained had been changed to just fish pie (at customers' requests, so just haddock, no king prawns or scallops!). I then said i would have the lobster penang curry on the specials board, to be told (very apologetically) that the lobster hadn't come in yet but they could do me a seafood penang curry (so no seafood in the seafood pie but they made a cracking Thai curry!) Yes, the food took quite a while to come, but it was all fresh & plentiful with proper chippy chips!! There were just 2 serving quite a full cafe, but i feel it would be unfair to make any negative comment about a lunch everyone thoroughly enjoyed at a reasonable price. I would say give it & the Thai specialities a try.

scarborough
“great views”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

The views from the top balcony are enough to make you call in for coffee! Didn't have anything to eat as it was only mid morning so can't comment- however, I did notice a lift so wheelchair access is available. The place was very clean and the young girl serving was very pleasant. So if nothing else go for a coffee even though the range of coffee is limited it's the views which makes it attractive.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank carolsue1121952
England, United Kingdom
“Worst fish and chips ever!”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

You'd think a cafe serving fish and chips right on the waterfront would serve the most amazing fish and chips, woudln't you? Wrong! The fish (haddock) had absolutely NO flavour whatsoever and not a particularly nice texture either. The batter was heavy and very greasy, the chipe were horrible. We left most of our meal. We told the woman serving at the downstairs bar where you order that it was unsatisfactory. Her answer? The one we've sadly grown to learn is stock in trade from bad establishments "Everyone else likes it." Oh, pulease!

• Visited June 2013