“Absolute (Midget) Gem in the Rough”
Review of Francis Tea Rooms - CLOSED

Francis Tea Rooms
Cuisines: British, Soups
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Take a step back in time. . . Francis Tea Rooms is set in an original 1930's hairdressing salon, complete with wood-pannelled booths. It has an unique atmosphere with hand embroidered tablecloths and Art Deco vases. We serve Taylors coffee and a variety of their loose teas in vintage china. A varied menu of brunch, light lunches and afternoon teas is available as well as a large selection of homemade cakes, tray bakes and scones. Our specialities are Homemade Soups, Welsh Rarebits, Quiches and Traditional Afternoon Teas. Our own recipe scones, lemon meringue pie and fresh fruit almond cakes earned us a place in The Guardians Top Ten Budget Eats - Yorkshire Coast 2010.
Reviewed July 29, 2014

Dear Cake (fans). First of all, a rant. Now out of the literally millio… thou… hund… tens of people who will read this review, I need to start this one with a rant. Get ready, it’s a doozy!

It’s about the last review done on Monday the 28th July by the charming Raymond B!

Who gives a company they haven’t even been to a 1 star review (just because they were closed)? It’s simply outrageous. These small companies are made and broken by the strength of the reviews online and they can lose hundreds, if not thousands of pounds in revenue because of a single star in the ratings box, and to mindlessly give ANY company 1 star without even visiting (especially if there were staffing issues), is just outrageous! It’s petty and mean and exceptionally inconsiderate… didn't he bother to PHONE first? Because I did before I went on Sunday. Why? BECAUSE it’s common sense to check if a company is open – ESPECIALLY on a Monday when many cafes are closed after the busy weekend. Seriously. I urge you to ignore that review and visit the Francis Café and then post positive reviews yourself. Why? Because it’s fantastic!

There, just HAD to get that off my chest. Now, let’s all take a deep breath, and get things going. Are you sitting comfortably, then I’ll begin…

Was in need of a pick me up today and the Power of Cake was calling, so I thought I’d make the journey to the Francis Café for some well-deserved nosh. Now, the worst thing about the café is the location, which really is out of the way and while it’s hardly a LONG walk to the venue, it’s up a pretty steep hill, but if you’re near the Spa then it’s only just up the bank (a leisurely walk through the gorgeous gardens and you’re there).

Now, that one minor point out of the way and it’s time to get to the nitty gritty: the food and the ambience. It’s the little touches that appeal to me and the fact that every table has a whopping bowl of Midget Gems on it was a really fabulous touch. I swear these companies are trying to bribe me by appealing to my piggy nature!

Of exceptional note is the venue itself, which is vintage in every possible way as it’s an almost untouched barbers shop complete with original mirrors in wood-panelled privacy booths. It really does have a particularly atmospheric feel and is a lovely building with buckets of vintage atmosphere.

Now, on to the nosh. And this is where Café Francis excels and you only have to read my many many reviews to know I’m something of a connoisseur of Afternoon Teas, and here Café Francis put on a real show with a fabulous selection of sandwiches, a smorgasbord of cakes, and absolutely delicious mini scones with jam and cream. In fact, I could have ignored everything else and just stuffed my face with one hundred of the mini-scones – they were that scrummy!

Also on offer are plenty of homed made food and cakes, along with a wide range of loose-leaf teas – twenty five to be precise - and the Chai Tea was particularly exquisite on a Sunday afternoon.

The Afternoon Tea consisted of a plate of sandwiches, one of each, egg mayo, ham and mustard, cucumber and salmon, and they were all delicious, you can really taste the quality of the ingredients and there were no cost-cutting corners here, which, at £6.50 for Afternoon Tea and a pot of tea AND Midget Gems, was an exceptional bargain and we left feeling full and extremely content. I’ve paid a LOT more for a lot less and this combined with excellent service from the charming owners, really made this a particularly stand-out visit!

So, really, there is no better Afternoon Tea in Scarborough. It is well worth making the journey, as it really is an absolute (midget) gem in the rough.

See what I did there?

6  Thank CakeyStu
There are newer reviews for Francis Tea Rooms

Reviewed July 28, 2014

Went over to Scarborough (300 mile round trip) for a nice day out (Thur 24th July 2014). Told my wife I would treat her to afternoon tea in Francis Tea Rooms. Whilst in the town centre, and in need of refreshment, my wife ( on a walking stick ) and myself made the 25 min journey up to the dizzy heights of the said tea rooms to find they had not bothered to open due to staff problems. If the chef was off they could have surely made us welcome with tea and cakes!!!!! Beyond me how they could let their customers down by keeping the door locked. Would have marked this a zero, but the computer scoring only goes as low as a one. Get your act together. There is no war on in Scarborough, so adapt. Poor, poor excuse to let your customers down in this way. My wife was very distressed and so was I. We will not be making our way to Francis Tea rooms ever again.

5  Thank raymond b
Reviewed July 26, 2014

After a days walking along the coast we ventured up in the Cliff Lift and spotted a chalk board sign to Francis Tearoom. Quirky setting, excellent service - nothing was too much trouble. Two Afternoon Teas and a Ploughmans Lunch for under £22 -outstanding value. Highly recommend it.

2  Thank Mike B
Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

wonderful old place. A one off with much vintage style. Excellent choice of teas. Lovely food, friendly staff. The staff were happy to make substitutions. Even the eally water was good. Love this place.

2  Thank Kenneth G M
Reviewed July 19, 2014

I have to admit, when we arrived outside Francis i had to question if we had found the right place.
It sits, quietly, on a rather scruffy little side street, and offers up very little of the "magic" that you find the moment you walk through the door.
We were greeted by a really lovely waitress (OK she had tattoos and i had to get over that) but she really made us feel welcome and came across as very genuine. From the moment we walked in it was like the antidote for all the bland, mass produced dross we have suffered in cafe's and "tearooms" over the years!
Its original Decor and Vintage feel was just lovely (I desperately wanted a "Poirot" outfit for that moment) The menu, although slightly limited, was interesting and incorporated both the new with the more traditional. The food itself (we had ploughmans platters) was fresh, very well presented and tasty. I wish we had found this place sooner, but we will certainly always return.

1  Thank Alfie J