“A hidden gem!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Francis Tea Rooms

Francis Tea Rooms
Ranked #1 of 30 Coffee & Tea in Scarborough
Cuisines: Cafe, British, Soups
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Take a step back in time. . . Francis Tea Rooms is set in an original 1930's hairdressing salon, complete with wood-pannelled booths. It has an unique atmosphere with hand embroidered tablecloths and Art Deco vases. We serve Taylors coffee and a variety of their loose teas in vintage china. A varied menu of brunch, light lunches and afternoon teas is available as well as a large selection of homemade cakes, tray bakes and scones. Our specialities are Homemade Soups, Welsh Rarebits, Quiches and Traditional Afternoon Teas. Our own recipe scones, lemon meringue pie and fresh fruit almond cakes earned us a place in The Guardians Top Ten Budget Eats - Yorkshire Coast 2010.
Scarborough, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A hidden gem!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

Coming here was like taking a step back in time! Definitely not what we were expecting when we pulled up outside. Inside was so quaint, charming and the perfect place for afternoon tea, which we thoroughly enjoyed. Brilliant service, brilliant atmosphere and brilliant jam tarts!! Gutted it's closed on Mondays, we were looking forward to trying the ploughmans lunch!!

• Visited November 2013

Scarborough, United Kingdom
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

This a beautiful 'proper' tea room, beautifully arranged in little booths. The coffee is good with refills and the food is fresh and delicious. I will certainly be returning and I would advise everyone to search it out.

• Visited November 2013
Scarborough, England, United Kingdom
“More than just a tea room !!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

I recently celebrated my 40th birthday here as a private party.
I would just like to say a massive thank you to Sarah and Brad for making my birthday so memorable not only for me but my friends and family too.
The food was amazing yet again and I feel they went that extra mile filling my every need.
They made us feel relaxed and welcome in their beautiful tea room.
I would recommend this to anyone who wants somewhere a bit quirky for their forthcoming celebrations.
5 stars to Sarah and Brad, once again a big thank-you

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Emma G
London, United Kingdom
“very disapointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

After reading good reveiws about this we went for a visit. checked the website to ensure it was open. Arrived on thursday at 11.45 and it was SHUT!!!

Visited October 2013
3 Thank jackarack
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Would have given six stars!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

We were staying in Robin Hoods Bay around the time of our little girls second birthday on the 15th, and decided to take a chance on making the journey to Scarborough to visit the tea-rooms as a treat for both her and ourselves based on the wealth of favourable reviews. As soon as we stepped in we felt we had made a wise choice, from the intriguing fixtures to the genuine warm welcome we received. The whole experience was sublime...from the little glass bowl of tiny sweets with the invitation to "eat me" attached ( Tilly needed no invitation ), through the marvellous selection of sandwiches and cakes/scones on the wonderfully presented afternoon tea, the lovely ad -hoc old china service (much of which has been brought in by local old dears who love the owners), and of course the tea itself. As a Yorkshireman I was almost flabbergasted by the value for money (much inferior offerings can cost vastly more in institutions trading on past reputation/ location), but what really sealed the deal for me was the way the owners went to so much effort to make our little girl feel special, bringing out little plates of sandwiches just for her before they knew it was her birthday...but when they realised the visit was to mark her celebration, well, the impromptu cake complete with candles and singing brought a tear to my eyes.
All in all, this is a delightful venue that produces top class food in a truly idiosyncratic setting for anyone who appreciates the most authentic and genuine welcome you could wish for. Tilly might not remember it as she gets older, but we always will. Thank you.

1 Thank DevJoTilly