“Extra special attention”

Francis Tea Rooms
Cuisines: British, Soups
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Take a step back in time. . . Francis Tea Rooms is set in an original 1930's hairdressing salon, complete with wood-pannelled booths. It has an unique atmosphere with hand embroidered tablecloths and Art Deco vases. We serve Taylors coffee and a variety of their loose teas in vintage china. A varied menu of brunch, light lunches and afternoon teas is available as well as a large selection of homemade cakes, tray bakes and scones. Our specialities are Homemade Soups, Welsh Rarebits, Quiches and Traditional Afternoon Teas. Our own recipe scones, lemon meringue pie and fresh fruit almond cakes earned us a place in The Guardians Top Ten Budget Eats - Yorkshire Coast 2010.
Harrogate
“Extra special attention”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

They opened especially on Mothers' Day (even tho off-season).
We called and booked the day before and mentioned that my wife was gluten free dairy free and they made / got in stuff just for her. Very friendly, very good food (if you book afternoon tea then don't have lunch beforehand as there's lots of savoury before the cakes).
Have recommended it to a couple of friends already and we'll be back.

• Visited March 2013

“Best place in Scarborough!”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

A wonderful mothers' day treat! We had a brilliant time and loved our table- especially the bowl if sweets with 'eat me'..which we all did. The afternoon tea was delicious and the homemade cakes were amazing. We had to bring some away with us, as the tea was so generous. We love the feel of the place, the teas, the friendly and welcoming attention we recieved and we thought we couldn't have asked for any more. Thank you and see you again soon.

1 Thank Stuart O
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Birthday surprise”
Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

Thank you to the fabulous staff at Francis for the amazing afternoon tea they arranged for our daughter's 13th birthday. The girls loved the elegant tea cups, delicate sandwiches and special birthday cake. Everything was tailored to our requirements and the seven girls had the most wonderful time. Nowhere better for afternoon tea!

1 Thank Michael R
Bath, Great Britain
“Not a patch on what it was I'm afraid”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I have been coming here for years and was mortified when they closed the other year. Relieved that the staff took it over following that and that it was still as good with a phenomenal menu.

Unfortunately, I went this week (I live in Wiltshire) on a visit and newer owners have taken some of its magic and cast it aside (presumably to reduce costs).

It doesn't have the quaint feel and touches and the (particularly breakfast) menu has been devastated. The service was all right but not what it was at all. Sadly for me, it's not worth the trek up to the South Side any longer and I won't be back.

There used to be about 10 varieties of rarebit for example - now there is none.

I used to have people coming from Hull and Wakefield but I can no longer recommend it.

Don't get me wrong though, if you've never been before and go for afternoon tea, it might well be ok still. But what you see is not a patch on what it was a few months earlier.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank SantosX
Scarborough, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Truly Brilliant”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

The perfect place for a truly brilliant afternoon tea! So friendly and lovely, i'm definitely making sure this little place will be visited many times. The food was beautifully presented and ever so delicious, I really can't think of a better place to cosy in! I would recommend these tearooms to anyone of all ages!

• Visited February 2013