“Birthday surprise”

Francis Tea Rooms
Cuisines: British, Soups
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Take a step back in time. . . Francis Tea Rooms is set in an original 1930's hairdressing salon, complete with wood-pannelled booths. It has an unique atmosphere with hand embroidered tablecloths and Art Deco vases. We serve Taylors coffee and a variety of their loose teas in vintage china. A varied menu of brunch, light lunches and afternoon teas is available as well as a large selection of homemade cakes, tray bakes and scones. Our specialities are Homemade Soups, Welsh Rarebits, Quiches and Traditional Afternoon Teas. Our own recipe scones, lemon meringue pie and fresh fruit almond cakes earned us a place in The Guardians Top Ten Budget Eats - Yorkshire Coast 2010.
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Thank you to the fabulous staff at Francis for the amazing afternoon tea they arranged for our daughter's 13th birthday. The girls loved the elegant tea cups, delicate sandwiches and special birthday cake. Everything was tailored to our requirements and the seven girls had the most wonderful time. Nowhere better for afternoon tea!

1  Thank Michael R

Reviewed February 27, 2013

I have been coming here for years and was mortified when they closed the other year. Relieved that the staff took it over following that and that it was still as good with a phenomenal menu.

Unfortunately, I went this week (I live in Wiltshire) on a visit and newer owners have taken some of its magic and cast it aside (presumably to reduce costs).

It doesn't have the quaint feel and touches and the (particularly breakfast) menu has been devastated. The service was all right but not what it was at all. Sadly for me, it's not worth the trek up to the South Side any longer and I won't be back.

There used to be about 10 varieties of rarebit for example - now there is none.

I used to have people coming from Hull and Wakefield but I can no longer recommend it.

Don't get me wrong though, if you've never been before and go for afternoon tea, it might well be ok still. But what you see is not a patch on what it was a few months earlier.

2  Thank SantosX
Reviewed February 26, 2013

The perfect place for a truly brilliant afternoon tea! So friendly and lovely, i'm definitely making sure this little place will be visited many times. The food was beautifully presented and ever so delicious, I really can't think of a better place to cosy in! I would recommend these tearooms to anyone of all ages!

1  Thank TheBlondeStudent
Reviewed February 24, 2013

If you ever had afternoon tea with your granny and on special occasion the the best tea and china came out this place will take you back to them days with its private booths cake stands and lovely fresh made tea all served with a smile and fresh cream and jam well worth a visit , and you can even have a gluten free sandwich

1  Thank Garyhills90210
Reviewed February 22, 2013

After hearing about Francis Tea Rooms from a few different people we decided to call in for lunch on Saturday. It was fabulous. Tasty food, great service, and very reasonably priced. We had timed it just right as people were being turned away just after we had sat down. The character of the place is wonderful, we will definately be visiting again.

1  Thank KCWJScarborough