“The drinks were ok - but that's where it ends! ”

Winking Willys Fish & Chips
Ranked #56 of 358 Restaurants in Scarborough
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Bradford, United Kingdom
“The drinks were ok - but that's where it ends! ”
Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

Quite honestly the worst fish and chips I have ever eaten in my life. Scrappy chips, soggy batter, translucent frozen fish, tinned peas and more batter than fish. The haddock was microscopic and to make matters worse was 60% batter! The apple juice and diet coke were ok and as a gesture they knocked those off the bill - so I didn't pay for the only aspect of the meal that I can say wasn't disgusting!
Stay away and find a decent fish shop!!!!

2 Thank KTandPM

“Most expensive food poisoning ever”
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Went for lunch, ordered 2 burgers and 2 jacket potatoes, and the waitress had zero manners and complained to us that she couldnt spell. When the food came the 2 jacket potatoes had no cheese on it (menu advertised a cheese and coleslaw jacket potato), and the burgers were thin and dry and the bread was cut with a spoon. Within minutes of finishing their meals the 2 that ate the jacket potatoes were feeling very unwell and had to leave. The coleslaw was off.
DO NOT EAT HERE EVER

4 Thank spud1989
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“a big disapointment”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

we went to this restaurant winking willys ,last year and we reaiy enjoyed our meal so this year when we returned to scarborough we returned back again and what a big dissapointment . we orded our meals which came with bread and butter tea or coffe when the girl came with the teas i asked her if she had sweetners off she went and came back and said sorry we dont have them which did not please me, a restaurant with no sweetners. when our meals came it did not look good very dry and the batter on the cod look ok but when you stuck your knife in it to eat it was mostly batter and hardly any fish the black skin on it put me off as well . i know i should of sent it back but i thought i would eat what i could i did not see any of the staff anyway to tell them . when we was ready to leave a waitress came to clear the table she did ask if all was ok that was when i told her no , she asked why and mt reply was it was very dry the bit of fish in the batter broke up in bits and no taste at all she did say sorry and she would see what could be done , she returned with sorry nothing can be done as i had eaten some all in all i had eaten about ten chips and a bit of the fish i did tell the waitress it was not her fault, but i would not return back again and i would tell friends about my dissapointment with this restaurant

Malton, United Kingdom
“eating”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

we were on the seafront early today we often call at winking willys the take away part but today we went inside and we were not disappointed.

4 Thank maltonjohn
Scarborough, United Kingdom
“Oh dear. ”
Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

Four of us came on Bank holiday weekend. Downstairs full so taken upstairs to a booth table with a view over the harbour and the rear end of the resident balcony seagulls.
The booth was tiny and I felt very cramped. Soon our pot of tea, four cups, bread and butter arrived, swiftly followed by mushy peas and gravy boats. All the stuff to go with our meals which had not yet arrived and the tiny table was already full.
Two of us had ordered the mighty whopper at 16-18 oz for over £11 each. The other two had the standard 8oz for just over £7.
The whopper was a good foot long and an inch thick. I was concerned that I might not finish such a big fish. But I needn't have worried as a lot of it was batter. The fish itself, instead of being a succulent but firm white fillet, was a flaky, watery mush. It seemed to me that it had either been cooked from frozen or been sat defrosted in water for a long time. Everyone else had a similar experience and most left it
As for the chips they were terrible. Tiny V shaped bullets that tasted of cardboard.
The peas were very bland and cried out for seasoning. The bread and butter had obviously been prepared some hours in advance. The gravy was ok but even the tea was bad.
Paid nearly 45 quid for this and felt ripped off.
Having been in Scarborough for nearly 30 years I have always told visitors to avoid seafront food as it is mass produced, over priced and quite frankly terrible food, served by staff who act like they don't want to be there.
I should heed my own advice.

7 Thank woolfat