“Best fish and chips”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Reviewed March 29, 2013

This place has character. It is a bit rough round the edges but the food is great. The fish was cooked to perfection...flakey with a light and crispy batter...definitely fresh. Go and enjoy!

2  Thank yippee33
There are newer reviews for Winking Willys Fish & Chips

Reviewed March 22, 2013

I like my fish and chips and on a recent break to Scarborough with my girlfriend we wanted to go to Winking Willies as it had been recommended to us by my brother, I was not disappointed.

I had the "Super Six" - haddock, cod, scampi, sole, plaice and monkfish all battered and all decent portions served with chips and salad for £8.90, unbelievable value for the amount of food on my plate. My girlfriend had the standard fish and chips which was around £7.50 and came with a pot of tea and bread and butter. We both thought the food was fantastic, it genuinely was the best fish and chips I have ever tasted, I finally get why people rate scampi so highly having previously believed it was fairly taste-free, all this fish was bursting with flavour and the batter was crispy and yet light - perfect.

We were only in Scarborough for four days and loved it so much on Tuesday that we went back on Thursday as the last thing we did before setting off home.

The service was fantastic, they were very attentive, the second time we went they forgot my girlfriend's mug of tea with her meal, when we asked about that my girlfriend politely said it didn't matter as she didn't mind too much, they brought over the pot of tea anyway and said they couldn't have her go without, AND they knocked my lemonade off the bill which they really didn't have to do.

It was very impressive and particular thanks to Marie the supervisor there who looked after us.

If I ever go to Scarborough again I will be back for sure and I have been ranting and raving about Winking Willies to anyone who'll listen since coming back.

4  Thank William C
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Was really looking forward to fish and chips by the sea side winking willies always looks busy in the summer thought i would give them a try wish i hadnt bothered they were awful the fish tasted off and the batter tasted like soap.

will definetly never eat there again despite the worst fish and chips i have ever tasted the staff was miserable did not make eye contact and what sort of takeaway doesn't do a childs portion.

total let down.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

So i visited winking willys on saturday 2nd march after a great day on the beach. I was welcomed by warm hearted staff members downstairs. We chose to sit upstairs and the staff up there were very welcoming aswell we were offered the window seat by the very kind young girl although it was busy the staff were trying there best to serve and help everyone, we ordered four specials which wasnt anything special but also wasnt the worst fish and chips ive had, my partner orderee curry sauce wich was £2:20 which for the amout you get i dont think it is worth that ovrrall it was a plesant meal and we will be back again in summer. I dont know why people have wrote these awful reviews, in my oppinion these must be jealous retsaurants i dont agree with any of the comments.

3  Thank jaamal23
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Having a day out in Scarborough and we decided to eat lunch here after having a giggle about the name .We sat at a table near the door, big mistake , there was four of us , the table was too small to be comfy- we made our order and we was brought the tea cups first with pots of tea, well 3 off the cups were filthy , not just one mark or two but there was grime stuck on the outsides of the cups and an actual ring mark inside the top of the cup .We did note this to a waitress and she did change 2 of the cups I just wiped one of them clean .The table near the door is just ridiculous, as they have the till right near the door so as people are coming in , you are getting people waiting to pay so you are being constantly stood over-people with prams struggling to get out as there is no room , also they were turning people away saying they were full when there was 2 tables behind us empty but uncleared .The fish and chips were just average and for four people fish and chips with bread and tea cost just under £32! Way too expensive . Would never go there again.

1  Thank RED71hull