“Fantastic!”
Review of Pesky Husky

Pesky Husky
Ranked #23 of 82 things to do in Scarborough
More attraction details
Owner description: Situated between Scarborough and Whitby in the North York Moors National Park, Pesky Husky is a unique experience for any visitor. A family-run business with over 30 years of experience of the breed, Pesky Husky was set up in 2007, when our aims were to provide a centre where people could learn about the amazing qualities of the oldest breed on the planet, and how they are simply like no other dog. We also aim to provide a loving home for our dogs throughout their whole lives (having rescued about a third of our pack from unsuitable homes), by giving them the opportunity to do what Huskies are supposed to do- run! With 30 sled dogs for you to meet, we provide a range of exciting experiences, including Husky Trekking; a sport which gives you the opportunity to drive your own team of dogs on a two wheeled scooter around our purpose built trekking course, with its two exciting down-hills. For those who want a more relaxed session we can tailor your session to suit your individual abilities.Pesky Husky also offers Husky Hiking all year round; a walk with the dogs through the open countryside, using specialist belts and equipment specifically designed for sled dogs. A fun and unique activity, this is perfect for families with children, walking groups, or anyone who wants to meet and spend some quality time with these amazing animals! We also offer combined sessions of Trekking and hiking for the complete Husky experience.These activities all include a full kennel visit, instruction, and equipment, and are available all year round, 7 days a week. We also do various other activities- from children’s parties to kennel visits, meaning there really is something for everybody! Prices start at £15 and we can provide gift vouchers as well as bookings. Please ring for availability and details.
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I'm a little late with this review but we visited in October to do the trekking on the scooters for my husband's birthday. My husband had no idea what we would be doing but he loves outdoor sports and mountain biking, and as it turns out I couldn't have picked a better place to visit! Our visit began with a very informative tour of the kennels to meet all the lovely dogs, and then onto our training. All the staff were very friendly and informative and I definitely felt like I was in safe hands, and the dogs knew what they were doing even if I didn't. My husband turned out to be much more confident than me and found it very exhilarating, it was a real adrenaline rush! I went a little bit slower (scaredy cat) but still really enjoyed myself. I would definitely go again, it was a fantastic experience. Thank you to all staff for looking after me and making my husband's birthday so special.

Visited October 2012
4 Thank booglyboo

mirfield
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Absolutely amazing!!!”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

What a fabulous present from my husband! I had a fantastic time at Pesky Husky- the kennel visit complete with puppies-aah cuties- and excellent information along with personal introductions to them all by Debbie, a test session around the field with 2 huskies and me on the scooter, complete with all the safety equipment and advice, then off in the landrover with 4 huskies who were as excited and enthusiatic as me! We arrived at the old railway line/track and all piled out. Again after instructions, off I set on the scooter which was attached to 2 huskies and with my encouragement and their 'mum' Debbie on her bike ahead, off we went. After completing the run, we did it all over again but with 2 faster huskies which was amazing! I was covered in mud and couldn't stop grinning, a real stress buster. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who loves animals and wants to have fun working with them as a team.

Visited February 2013
6 Thank diane w
Hebden Bridge, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Disappointing and very, very rude!”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

My husband booked this as a surprise wedding anniversary treat and I was delighted, especially as I absolutely adore dogs (and it's worth pointing out that I'm also very used to being around big dogs, I own two)!

The kennel visit was good and interesting, but the circuit trekking that followed was a truly disappointing experience that left me feeling pretty upset. I struggled to keep the huskies moving fast enough and on track, and as I'd never done this before, I would have expected some gentle guidance and encouragement from the lady who runs the kennels. Instead, she was incredibly rude - her exact words were "I'll not have you spooking out my dogs" (how someone as small as I am could possibly "spook out" or cause any harm to two huge huskies is beyond me) - she then literally shoved me off the scooter, jumped on and sped off down and off the circuit.

Before we left (a younger girl signed us out) there was no explanation, no offer of a chance to have another go, and certainly no hint of an apology. Other reviewers seem to have had a fantastic time here, so I don't know what went wrong, but such rude behaviour towards any visitor is totally unacceptable. I felt intimidated and upset, and therefore would NOT recommend Pesky Husky to anyone.

Visited May 2012
13 Thank tval2013
michael p, Owner at Pesky Husky, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
In response to this review, we have hundreds of visitors during the year but we do remember this particular visit because the lady who wrote this review was extremely memorable for the wrong reasons! We apologise that she had a disappointing experience, however as any of our visitors will tell you, the training is very precise and thorough because it is very important to keep both our visitors and dogs safe. This lady seemingly did not listen to instruction, and as a result was at risk of hurting the dogs.Approximately 100 metres from the start some interaction occured between herself and the huskies either verbally or physically and the dogs stopped. The two huskies in question are our most experienced circuit dogs (Bud and Nuuk) and have taken many many people around the circuit. The instructor went to her aid and put one of the dogs back in his harness as he had been frightened to the extent that he pulled out of it. She then set off again and had to be followed around the circuit by the instructor as she hopped around the circuit on the scooter instead of riding on it as she was instructed. At about 3/4 distance the instructor told her that she would have to take over the scooter as we couldn't afford to upset the dogs any longer and that this obviously wasn't the correct sport for her. The dogs then completed the rest of the circuit perfectly. I would like to point out that it is a very time-consuming job to train a husky so that it is bombproof and can be commanded by anybody with no qualms. But all this work can be undone if the dog is repeatedly spooked by a trekker who has not listened to instruction and done as we ask. Thankfully neither dog is any the worse for this experience and they are still doing the thing they love most; meeting new people and taking them around the circuit. It does seem to me that this trekker is suffering from a somewhat bruised ego and she may well have two dogs of her own, but I trust our dogs' instincts about people every time. Our huskies are well loved and we have no way of knowing what went on 100 metres away; if only huskies could talk!
Whitby, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“awesome”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Me and my wife went here today to have a kennel visit and walk the dogs..my wife booked it for my birthday present.... all I can say is get yourself there.... unless your a total numbnuts or don't like dogs.... had a fantastic time we both loved it.. the dogs were awesome and the owner lady whose names currently has escaped me is one of the coolest and knowledgable people you will ever meet.... Adam & Emily x

5 Thank mar j
Hartlepool
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Unique”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

We had a great kennel visit, we met all the dogs, and a surprise of three pups.the lady was fantastic, what she didn't know about huskies wasn't worth knowing. The dogs were clearly loved and cared for. We took our seven year old granddaughter and she really loved her visit.cant wait to go back for a treck it was amazing.

Visited December 2012