“Can't wait to go back”

The Coachman Inn Restaurant
Ranked #63 of 378 Restaurants in Scarborough
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Coachman Inn Snainton, is a destination restaurant and bar with rooms beautifully located on the edge of the North Yorkshire Moors between Pickering & Scarborough. You will feel relaxed and at home in this historic Grade II listed Georgian Inn, steeped in coaching heritage. Built in 1776 and now sympathetically incorporating modern comforts, The Coachman Inn is the perfect retreat; the ideal base for exploring the North York Moors National Park the historic City of York and the stunning Yorkshire Coast and towns of Whitby and Scarborough. We take great pride in sourcing the best of the marvelous local procuce from the surrounding areas and creating food that we are sure you will enjoy, our Executive chef David Spencer has a lifetime of experience and has previously held two rosettes from the AA for 25 years works very closely with Head Chef Peter Gibson and the owner of the Coachman Inn Ian Rae who is also a Chef with many years of cooking under his belt to constantly create and innovate for your pleasure, whilst Carol Rae takes charge of the front of house team to ensure you are given the best possible service the moment you step through our front door.
Reviewed October 5, 2012

This is the third time I've stayed in this restaurant with rooms. The rooms have been updated and are very comfortable, plenty of parking behind. Really pleasant staff. Nice atmospheric bar with log fire - but the restaurant - wow. Great food beautifully presented. Already tried three of the rooms with another three to go.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

Some kind relations gave my husband some vouchers for the restaurant as a birthday present, so we booked a table for dinner on 31st August. I rang up a few days before, saying I would like to make sure they had the salmon salad (which was on their sample menu online) available that night. Despite offering salmon as a starter, they said they would not be able to do this.When we got there, there was lemon sole en papillote, which I thought sounded good, so I tried to order that. Unfortunately, even though there were only 2 other people in the lounge and (as it turned out) in the restaurant, one of them ordered the lemon sole en papillote just before me. When I asked for it, I was told it was not available. The manageress said there was pan-fried seabream on the menu, as if this was pretty much the same thing! Their a la carte menu is quite limited to start with, so this was a pretty poor showing. We said we weren't impressed and the waitress suggested we go back on another night. Yes, really. In the end, I persuaded them to do haddock (which was offered in batter) en papillote instead, but we could clearly hear the anguished discussion going on from the till area as to how they were going to charge it up. As if we cared! The service in the restaurant was good, but the aggravation we had beforehand made it difficult to enjoy the food. My husband remembers the restaurant when the Osborne family ran it and he tells me it was top-notch; such a shame.

2  Thank mrswaffle
Reviewed September 30, 2012

The Coachman used to be a great place to eat (approx. 3 years ago) with fab food and great atmosphere, sadly the previous owners took all the staff and moved on. The current owners I suspect have no experience in the hospitality industry. We had dinner approx. 3 months ago and had a dreadful meal. We thought we should give it another chance and we wished we hadn't!! The dining room has a terrible atmosphere and the decoration is more cafe than itimate restuarant for dinner, the colours on the walls make it cold and univiting,music is one step away from the bing bong of greenslves from the old hold buttons on the phone. The food although beatifully presented was totally tasteless and the vegetables boiled to an inch of there life. The tiny portion of treacle for £5.95 was dwafed by a lump of clotted cream. If you want a great meal visit The Anvil down the road at Sawdon, they certainly know how to cook!!!

3  Thank Ridleydidley
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We were staying on the caravan park behind the Coachman and having spent 7 hours on the road from Somerset decided to eat out. We went into the front bar area as it was dog friendly, the bar staff were welcoming and a good choice of beer on tap. We are not able to comment on the restaurant side as we ate in the bar but had a good choice on the menu. The service was prompt and the portions more than sufficient, both of us only managing a main course despite having above average appetites.
The price we paid we felt was about right and would probably visit again if in the area.

2  Thank TimnMaggs
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We have dined at The Coachman for a number of years, initially when it was owned and run by the Osborne family. In 2009 they left for a new venture in the Algarve ( see Birds Nest, Algarve) taking with them key staff Kay, Iain & Samantha. Since then things have never been the same at The Coachman by way of quality of the food or service.
My wife and I decided to try it once again for Sunday Lunch. When we arrived there was nobody available at the reception or bar and we had to summon for attention. We were given the menu, but no mention was made about any 'specials' that we understood later were available. When we went into the restaurant we felt it was distinctly lacking in atmosphere and somewhat chilly.

We both opted for the Vegetable Soup, with warm bread & butter. The soup was fine but the bread was not warm and not particularly fresh. The butter was rock hard. For the main course my wife opted for the traditional Roast Beef, whilst I had the Roast Turkey. My wife was not asked how she would like the beef done and it turned out to be well done - not really to her liking. My Roast Turkey was quite dry and tasteless. The vegetables were plated. Both meals were warm rather than hot.

At this stage we decided to call it a day - another disappointing meal.

At least the cost was very reasonable, although we would rather pay a little extra for quality of food and service.

3  Thank Nashdavid