“Independent luxury.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Scarborough
The Villa Esplanade Self Catering Holiday Apartments
Reviewed August 25, 2012

If you want comfortable, stylish accomodation without the trappings of breakfast or evening meal, ( food allergy problems?) these apartments are ideal.

On arrival a sociable and gregarious receptionist led us into a Victorian time capsule, culminating with a ride in a lift with self opening, concertina, doors. I loved it!

We stayed in number 21 which had everything two people would require for a self catering holiday, plus a wonderful view of the sea from two large windows.

It was obvious that refurbishment was in progress but we were fortunate enough to be given newly refurbished, light and airy, accomodation which housed an en suite hotel like room with the addition of a small table and chairs , plus an adjoining kitchenette with microwave, conventional cooker, fridge, cutlery, crockery, cooking utensils and sink. It was brilliant! All we needed to supply were bathroom towels.

We loved our stay, not only for the accomodation but also for the Villas close proximaty to the Spa complex and the beautiful Italian gardens. The best part of town in my opinion!

I would recommend it to all those people who enjoy the freedom to decide on their own meal itinerary but still have hotel style accomodation.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Lily2948
There are newer reviews for The Villa Esplanade Self Catering Holiday Apartments

Reviewed August 21, 2012

We booked 3 days in Scarborough as wanted to take the kids to the seaside for a few days & didn't want to drive too far from Nottingham.
After hours & hours spent looking for somewhere reasonable (virtually impossible in schools hols) that wasn't too far away, was available 18-21 Aug, plus that had the right configuration for us as a family (mum, dad, 2 boys 7 & 2) I happened upon Villa Esplanade when I was on the verge of giving up. I spoke to Jo & she was very nice & helpful on the phone, and when she said she had a self catering apartment available that perfectly suited our needs, I was really chuffed. Only then did I think to check out some reviews......ooops big mistake!
The reviews seemed to swing from terrible to perfectly fine. I prayed our Flat 8 would be one of the better ones.
Size wise it was absolutely fine. But the general cleanliness of the apt was of a very poor standard. The carpet was disgusting, with hair and bits of dried up food on it, and it had obviously not been hoovered properly, if at all, for a very long time. I felt like I couldn't let my 2 year old play in the floor with his toys as it was so horrible. We put out beach mat down for him to sit on instead. The kitchen & bathroom were fairly clean. The kitchen floor was sticky when you walked on it and was in much need of a good mop! I was dying to attack the place with some bleach!! The pans & cutlery in the kitchen weren't particularly clean but thats not the fault of the owner, more the previous clients in my opinion.
We had to walk past the back of the restaurant to get to the stairs to our flat, and through a small area at the top of a small flight of stairs. This dingy area was between two fire doors and so didn't get the benefit of fresh air circulating through it. But, and this is no joke, it smelt like the monkey house at Chester Zoo. It was foul! This creepy and evil smelling passage way being right next to the kitchen of the restaurant was more than enough to put us off even considering having a meal at El Gringo's. Also sadly for us our flat was right over the restaurant and the loud music kept us awake until pretty late on the Saturday night. Thankfully things wrapped earlier Sunday & Monday night.
Overall, Villa Esplanade is a pretty sorry place that would benefit from alot of TLC and better management from someone who takes pride in their establishment. I wouldn't stay there again if I was paid to. I would particularly avoid this place if you have small children.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed July 31, 2012

So, after reading some reviews on here I was slightly worried after booking. My partner and I had stayed at a fab little hotel around the corner the previous night and decided to stay another night but couldn't as that hotel was full. We checked laterooms.com and found Villa Esplanade for £35 so went ahead and booked paying an extra £6 for a reserved space in their private car park.

On arrival, the receptionist was polite and check in was smooth. After mentioning we had stayed around the corner and had a parking permit which allowed us to park on the street until the end of the night we were refunded our £6 and given a free disc which allowed us to park on the road until noon the next day. We were allocated room 18 on the 1st floor and made our way there.

The room was bright, fresh, clean and modern - much better than expected! There was a double bed, bedside tables and lamps, leather tub chair, TV on the wall, mini fridge, kettle, mirror, wardrobe and a large modern bathroom with bath and shower. I have to say that the bed was really comfortable; probably the best hotel bed I've slept in! The only niggle we came across was a draughty window which made some noise in the wind but bearing in mind that this hotel is in a very old building it didn't really bother us. Maybe the owner should look at it before winter though!

Location-wise, the hotel is on the seafront on the south bay just above the Spa. 10-15 minute walk into the town or beach but please bear in mind that the walk can be quite steep! There is a lift that will take you up and down the hill for about 80p though which runs from around 9am until 10.30pm! There's a Tex-Mex restaurant and bar next to the hotel but we didn't try these; they did look and sound quite busy though! If you can't get parked in the hotel car park or on the street we noticed a pay and display car park around the back which costs £4.50 for 24 hours.

Overall, a nice little hotel/apartment block at a good price in a fab location! I can only assume the bad reviews come from guests who stayed in a room on the waiting list to be redone as there was signs near our rooms apologising for the noise/mess in corridors?

Room Tip: Ask for no18 if you want a modern double room on a room-only basis :)
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

My and my husband stayed for one night for a last minute anniversary break.

Good points = cheap parking (£1 for 24 hrs), right on seafront close to cliff lift, location walking distance to the beach but quiet and far enough away from hussle and bussle, room very clean.

Bad points = very dated, strage smell, and our windows didnt open!

As it was one of the hottest nights of the year this was very dissapointing. The heat was unbearable. Went to ask to be re-roomed but there was nobody around. As we only stayed for one night it wasnt worth kicking up a fuss the next morning but would not go back incase happened again. Would NOT pay their normal full price (£67 for double) - got last minute discount at £40 on late rooms.

Shame as the location is great, with an excellent restaurant attached (El Gringos).

It is worth noting they are in the middle of a refurb - i hope our room is to be sorted, especially the windows!!!

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 8, 2012

I travelled to Scarborough with my partner last weekend (6th July-7th July) for a getaway and to attend the University campus open day. We wanted a fairly cheap place to stay and was expecting something pretty grotty but we were pleasantly surprised!

I'll admit the outside does look a bit shabby and old, but nothing a bit of paint wont fix. Inside however is stunning! We were given apartment 2, and it was even more stunning - we were lost for words. Seriously couldn't believe our eyes, my partner was even thinking we must have been giving the wrong key because it just looked so good for £45!

The bed was defiantly the best for me though - amazingly comfortable, and we were lucky with the electricity card because there was £15 already on it! After reading through some of the negative reviews I think it's safe to say that if you're thinking of coming here, The Villa Esplanade is a lovely and cheap place to stay, however make sure you try and get apartments 1-8 and nothing else! - these ones seem to be the nice ones!

The restaurant which is attached to the side of the villa looked amazing, although it was quite expensive for a young couple (varying from £15-£10 for 1 meal) however upon venturing in and out of the hotel I heard various people talk about how nice the food was there! But if you are looking for something a little more cheaper and easier, the town is only a short walk away where there are various take aways (I recommend the blue fish and chip shop 'pan') and cheap restaurants/cafes.

Highly recommended and I'm already planning on going again very soon! Apologies for the long review, just wanted to put a positive spin on this lovely place!

Room Tip: Rooms 1-8 !!!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Melissa T
Reviewed June 14, 2012

General appearance poor and outdated with paint peeling off the buildings exterior.

Booked the room through KGB deals and don't think I will be using the site again, I do not believe our two night break was worth £189.99 and if you book this accommodation through a deal website you should expect the grotty rooms at the back. Room 27 is a bedsit with a double bed and kitchenette fitting into a the space of an average hotel room. The bed was really uncomfortable and you could feel all the metal within the mattress.

My confirmation email said you could get £1 electricity metre cards but the minimum is £5 now - we only used 44p so I asked for a refund and got £4. I wouldn't worry about car parking, there is a car park around the back or on street parking after 5pm. It seems a bit harsh charging customers £5 per night in their own car park.

Generally clean but general finish poor (gaps in laminate, screws sticking up in bathroom doorway on the floor, window pane cracked, paint peeling around bathroom sink).

Location was good, situated on top of the cliff with a small park on the slope below, there was a nice walk down to the main town but there is plenty of other accommodation near by.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Woffle
Reviewed June 5, 2012

I booked this accomodation through late rooms for a weekend away in scarborough for my fiances birthday. Flat 28 that we were given on arrival was a complete hole. There was thick black hair in the plug hole, a shower attachment that was not long enough to use, light fixtures falling off the wall, electrical items wernt pat tested since 2008 so deemed unfit to use, grease marks all over the walls, fag burns all over the carpet and furniture, springs were sticking out of the bed. This apartment would have been acceptable in blackpool for a bunch of teenagers on the lash but for me and my partner who wanted a relaxing weekend was completely unacceptable. Im 7 months pregnant and didnt want to be faced with this kind of accomodation. I read reviews before booking and didnt read any bad reviews, until i delved deeper onto the internet, then realised i wasnt the only one to make the mistake of booking this accomodation. After complaining to reception i was told i could move rooms for an extra £20 a night which i wasnt prepared to do so i asked for a refund and was told to contact the owner when he returned the following tuesday (3 nights away) and ask him about it. I was gutted to say the least. Luckily my dad was staying in different accomodation and came over and pointed out all the dicrepencies of the room, the receptionist then gave me another room for no extra charge, the new room was completely different (room10) it was modern and clean. I was miffed as to why they would even accomodate anybody in flat 28 when they had others available, it was absolutely disgusting!!!!!

Room Tip: DO NOT book room 28 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple