“I was being eaten alive”
Review of Delmont Hotel

Delmont Hotel
Ranked #21 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I don’t usually write reviews but am doing to help people chose to stay somewhere else. I booked this hotel last minute and was fooled by looking at the photos on booking-dot-com and similar to another post here, they were also glossed over.
I tried to check in at 14:00 although it is stated that the check-in time is 15:00, I was promptly reminded of the fact. The fella on reception didn’t even bother to find out if the room was ready or not, it was just a straight “no chance”, come back after 15:00. I was, however, allowed to leave my bag there and he promised to keep an eye on it. I returned about 15:20 and witnesses a couple waiting in the bar area complaining about the poor service they were receiving, I never found out what their problem was but it sounded like their room was still unavailable. I checked in and it only took seconds which was good.
My ‘Sea View Room’ was tiny and was a ‘Building across the road view room’ Although I wasn’t too bothered about the view because I wasn’t staying there to look out the window all weekend, I did ask about the view at reception and was told what I already knew “if you get right up to the window and look down the road the sea is there” I love the humour of this place! Therefore, because you can see the sea a little bit, they can sell it as Sea-View.
On arrival at my room, there was a strange smell, a mixture of damp and cigarette smoke but at least they had left the window open. The room was so small that if I had taken a cat with me, there would definitely be no chance of us both fitting in there, never mind being able to swing one. Although the bedding seemed to be clean, the bottom sheet had a small stain on it, possibly blood, down at the bottom end of the bed so I was able to rearrange the sheets and just get on with it. Apart from the size, the smell and the stain, the room seemed ok, oh and the bathroom was tiny, just a toilet and a shower cubicle. I consider myself to be average weight for an English person and I struggled to manoeuvre around in there. The wash basin is located in the room, probably due to the lack of space in the bathroom. I do have to give the hotel al little bit of credit because the shower and toilet room did have a clean look, although outdated, oh and the shower door didn’t fit correctly so leaked a bit onto the floor .
The worst part about the stay is that I was bitten several times on both legs. I wore trousers when going out so could only assume the bites where done when I was sleeping (bedbugs maybe). I mentioned the bites at reception when I was checking out. The guy just laughed and said “I have been bit too”. No apologies or explanations just a laugh.
I can’t comment on the food as I spent as little time as possible at the hotel and the slot for breakfast 08:30-09:15 didn’t suit me. I am also glad I didn’t drive there as the parking spaces are permanently full. The only good thing this hotel has going for it is the location, 10 minutes walk from the train station and a nice quiet view, not from the bedroom window though. The hotel looks lovely from the outside but is a different story inside, smells a bit, definitely outdated and very poor customer service. This is definitely a place I will not be staying in again. The man from Del-Mont he, he says No!

Room Tip: Sea view may not be what you expect.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank Ian W
There are newer reviews for Delmont Hotel

Reviewed August 22, 2013

recently stayed at this hotel for 1 night was very disappointed for what we paid the hotel is very outdated our room was not clean it looked like only the bedding had been changed the bathroom had not been cleaned or any were else in the room if I was staying longer I would of complained will not be returning sorry to say only plus was the view from our window looking out to sea

5  Thank paulaMiddlesbrough
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Room lovely large, fabulous view, quiet, clean.
Bathroom very clean and looked newly refurbished.
Staff very polite and helpful, nothing too much trouble
We arrived early left our luggage and had a wander into town. On our return a coach load of people had just arrived. We thought it would take ages to book in however it was done quickly despite an impatient guest irritably demanding attention ( who was politely dealt with).
At breakfast time we were situated away from the dining room and thought we would be forgotten, however the staff ensured we had everything we needed, regularly checking if we needed anything else.
Have stayed in much more expensive hotels in Scarborough and this one rates higher than those

Room Tip: Choose 111
2  Thank Jchgls
Reviewed August 19, 2013

VERY smelly, old fashioned and overpriced. £90 It should be about £40 a night, definitely not more. Our room was dropping to bits, toilet roll holder fell off the wall, bedside light did not work, free standing mirror fell apart, doors slamming all night and the drinks in the bar were over priced. We didn't even bother with the breakfast when we saw the dining room we just left the keys and had breakfast in a Harbour Cafe. will not come back or recommend this Hotel to anyone.

5  Thank Georniki
Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

Booked here last minute for overnight stay Saturday. Had choice of rooms 80 or 89 with sea view. Choose 89 as i thought it would be nice. We arrived about 1 and told the room would not be available till 3which was ok as we knew that. We were given a parking permit which was good and went for walk. We got back to book in about 5. We got to the room and it was a side room the sea view you had to stand at window and look left. The smell in the room was awful damp musty not very nice. Even the bedding smelt musty. Next morning we went down for breakfast, only a short window 8.30 - 9.15. Most tables were full of dirty plates were people had eaten and left but tables not cleared. We found a table i was about to use a glass for juice when i noticed it was dirty and had been used, also when we turned over coffee cups to use these were also dirty. The waitress noticed and asked if we would like clean cups!!! The food was ok just a shame about the utter chaos in the dining room. This hotel is definitely not worth the money I would definitely not book here. I should have read reports before booking which i normally do, but as i said this was last min.

Jackie

• Stayed: August 2013
4  Thank Jackie M
Reviewed August 18, 2013

VERY smelly, old fashioned and overpriced. We have stayed all over the world in hotels for about £90 but never stayed in one like this. It should be about £40 a night, definitely not more. Our room 7 was so smelly that we sprayed our perfume all over the bed and carpet before we could sleep. The room was airless too with only one opening window which didn't seem to let in any air. We had the worst nights sleep and thankfully were only there for one night. Only positives were amazing view from the room and surprisingly good breakfast - although we apparently sat on someone else's table (there was a seating plan that we didn't know about) and were starred at and muttered about throughout the meal! Find somewhere else until they up their game or reduce their price.

Room Tip: Avoid room 7 - it smells really bad.
3  Thank Suze9142028
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a 5 day break staying at The Delmont .The hotel itself was a bit dated. It could be improved by removing some of the old ornaments and pictures scattered around . The bedroom and bathroom were 1980,s stile .
On the plus side we had brand new beds and the room was very clean. The food was of very high standard.and plentiful with a good choice .The staff were always very pleasant and helpfull. There was entertainment most nights which was a big plus .Modernisation is all that's required for The Delmont to become three star.
Hi to Tina and Gemma who we shared a table with

1  Thank MargaretSunderland