“Fab park”

Cayton Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“Fab park”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

Not a lot to do at Cayton bay but my kids love it all the same, I like to swimming pool because you can sit around it without being behind glass, I wouldn't like my kids in a pool without me being there so being sat around the pool suits me, entertainment ok and staff very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed April 2012
Park R, General Manager at Cayton Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you for your feedback Amanda. I’m so pleased that you enjoy your time here and delighted the kids love it. I’m not sure when you visited us but depending on time of year we have a varied entertainment program offering something for everyone. Indeed the Indoor Pool is a very popular feature of the park and my 8 year old daughter also loves the independence of being able to swim on her own - giving me the peace of mind as I am sat on the side of the pool to be there to watch and see her enjoy herself. The team and I look forward to seeing you back at Cayton Bay in the very near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Our daughter asked to return to Cayton Bay for her birthday treat. We had visited during September 2011, staying in a privately rented caravan and our children (aged 5 & 6) had really enjoyed themselves.

This time we booked through the Sun holiday promotion and upgraded to a Silver caravan. Upon arrival at the park reception I was informed that the check in was in the main entertainments centre and proceeded to this area. Check in was prompt and I was given the keys to our caravan - 54 The Elms.

We arrived at our caravan and our initial thoughts were that it looked grotty. There was no parking beside the caravan (as is usually the case) and there was very limited parking in a small area behind a laundry building. We had to cross a rather wet, muddy field to reach the caravan. It might be worth noting here that we had clearly arrived very shortly after the cleaners had attaneded this particular row as there were piles of bed linen and towels on the ground beside each caravan door ... no bags ... literally just piled up on the mud.

When we entered the van it was freezing cold and found the majority of the windows open! Two were broken with one of the bathroom handles completely missing allowing water onto the bathroom floor. The curtains in all of the bedrooms could easily be pulled off their tracks as the children quickly found out.

The caravan was certainly an elderly one and in need of some refurbishment although it was reasonably equipped (albeit the remote control for the TV was missing).

On the first evening (Friday) we decided to go to the entertainments complex for the 6pm Children’s Entertainment and ventured into the freezing cold show area. It became apparent that the heating was not working (no one had felt the need to tell us) and as the girls were dressed in their Halloween Costumes keeping them warm was the first challenge. They never the less enjoyed the entertainment, meeting 'Narky' in the process. We decided to eat in the bar area and to allow the children to play in the soft play area. What hit us when we arrived was just how dirty this play zone was with food and empty drinks bottles simply swept into the corners out of the way. We ordered at the bar to be informed that as it was the end of season the children had a choice of Cordial or Cordial to drink ... so cordial it was served in a half pint glass. My partner and I ordered chicken curry. What arrived was uniform sized cubes of chicken no bigger than 1cm in a curry sauce (the kind you find in cat food). The evening meal was in excess of £35.00 and certainly not worth the money we paid.

Saturday morning brought a loss of electricity. I called the security number and a very helpful gentleman turned up within 5 minutes and rectified the issue. He explained that he was the pool attendant and had been on duty for over 12 hours and was standing in for a security guard who was off sick. He also informed us that he had a further 12 hours to work meaning he would have been on duty for 24 hours solid!! We decided at this point to give the pool a miss!!!

On the Saturday we spent all day out of the complex but returned for the evening whereby the previous evenings experience was replicated. My girlfriend ordered a chicken breast burger and it duly arrived and had quite obviously been cooked earlier in the day and then reheated, presumably in a microwave as it was so dry it was almost solid. We complained and were offered another that we refused and asked if we could have the girls’ puddings for free - they agreed to this and one of the girls ordered a 'Narky Ice Cream'. Five minutes later the barman reappeared and informed us that as it was "end of season" they had no chocolate ice cream so we had to make do with 'Sparkle' much to the disappointment of the kids!

It was always our intention to leave on the Sunday, a day early but frankly could not wait to get away leaving at 09:30am. The staff were certainly on 'wind down' and were disinterested in the last weekend of the season.

It would appear that the whole place has deteriorated since we were last here with the cleanliness appalling, the food very poor and the accommodation dreadful. There is simply no pride in the place whatsoever.

As the title says this was an "end of season Halloween Horror Show"

Room Tip: Don't stay in 54 the Elms and pack a heater.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank Nonnie2807
Thank you for your honest and very informative review, Julian. I can assure you that my team and I were disappointed to read that we appear to have let you down during your most recent visit. The free to use indoor soft play area is one of our most popular features, and is checked on a regular basis by the Complex Team throughout the day. We have recently refurbished this area and have increased the cleaning frequency in this venue and have added additional bins to ensure we combat the issues you encountered.
The heating in our Showbar venue has been repaired and we have also refurbished the main restaurant as we strive to deliver a better guest experience in this area. We do offer a reduced menu at certain times during the season, but this should be clearly communicated at the tables and also at the point of order, particularly if items are unavailable at any time, but it should not be to the detriment of your holiday and for this I apologise. I have also discussed at length the issues you encountered with the food quality with my catering team. We will be introducing a new and improved menu for 2013 with new and fresh ideas to improve this critical area of the business.
Whilst we cannot control the weather, your accommodation should certainly be ready for use when you arrive and be free of any defects. We have since carried out a detailed check of all of our holiday caravans, and have introduced new and improved maintenance checking procedures to ensure we deliver an improved service to our guests as we move forward. Once again I apologise for your experience on this occasion and hope you will decide to return to Cayton Bay to allow us to reinstall your faith in our park.
Rotherham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

We have just returned from stopping on the Cayton Bay Holiday Park we did the sun holidays weekend.(due to work/school we came back early).
After reading some reviews I was a little worried what we going to stop in. We didn't upgrade just had the bronze caravan.

Upon arriving we found the park wasn't well advertised and when I went to the reception to collect our keys I was told I would have to go to the entertainment complex to check in. So off we went we checked in and was told where our caravan was. We parked up (as you cannot park at the side of your caravan) and eventually we found our van which again wasn't numbered we just counted from other numbered vans (in the dark this was a little difficult). It was very basic but that's what we expected but the blinds in bedrooms and bathroom had slats missing and no curtains at the doors.
We went into the complex for tea and it was very cold in there but the food was value for money and nice. The bedding was ok but glad we took and extra quilt as it was very cold (expected for this time if year).
We didn't use anymore of the facilities in the site as we went out sightseeing for most of the day.

All in all I think you get what you pay for and after stopping at some other park resorts the standard of the caravan has been worst out of them all and organisation if checking in. But I would try other park resorts I wouldn't let this put me off. All in all we had a brilliant family weekend. Many places to visit around the area within driving.

• Stayed November 2012
6 Thank Sarah G
Hi Sarah and thank you for your review and also for the useful observations provided within. We have added new and improved signage throughout the park in readiness for our 2013 season to offer a better guest experience on arrival. This includes our check-in signage to direct you to our entertainment centre where we do all of our check-ins on an arrival day due to the sheer number of arrivals we have at the park. We will also ensure all of our letting caravans have clear identification stickers and numbers on to ensure we guide you to the correct caravan as easy as possible.
We have received numerous suggestions in relation to door curtains, and whilst this is not something that we currently have in the caravans, we will be giving further consideration to over the coming months. I am pleased that you had a brilliant family weekend and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back to a Park Resorts park in the very near future, and would love the chance to see you back at Cayton Bay to demonstrate the positive changes we have made.
Doncaster, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

We stayed only 1 night of the 3 we had booked through Sun Holiday. We we're allocated a bronze van, I tried to pay to upgrade a few weeks prior to our booking but was told there was nothing to upgrade to. We are a family of 4, 2 adults, 2 children aged 3 and 1yrs.

Despite the bad reviews (particularly on the bronze vans) we decided to go ahead with our booking and at least give it a try.

On arrival we were given our keys swiftly with a warm welcome. The caravan we were allocated was terrible - dirty, damp and so uninviting - wouldn't want my dog to stay in it. I complained and was apparently given an upgrade to silver which really should be the bronze, the bronze vans should be scrapped. Neither are acceptable accommodation especially in colder months. The heating in the silver is not adequate enough to heat the bedrooms. The vans are filthy, both vans I saw had stains and dirt on carpet and mould and bits of food in the corners. The kitchen areas were covered in grease and the silver van especially smelt of very strong fried food.

The whole site is a mud pit and the vans aren't equipped to help you keep the area clean (they need mops) but more so the muddy grassy areas need slabbing, pebbling or similar.

We had a short visit to the main entertainment area, the place is filthy, down trodden and is well in need of a refurbish. Floors are covered in food, sweets and general grime and the highchairs are disgusting as with the public toilets. The soap dispenses in the toilets were empty.

We had seen enough and handed our keys early this morning. When asked why, was offered a free upgrade to gold but after everything we had seen and experienced we just wanted to get home. Shame as was hoping for a lovely family weekend but just felt the place was too dirty! I have a crawler/ just walker and a 3 year I couldn't bear to see anymore dirt.

Forgot to mention the curtains were handing off on all windows on van!

The staff we saw were all very young but reasonably helpful.

Don't go, save your money and put it towards somewhere better that's my advice.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Lisa B
cleveland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

We arrived yesterday in the pouring rain and the check in was quick. The bronze caravan was clean and tidy. Fresh bedding and extra duvets and pillows for everyone. Staff came and checked all smoke alarms and electrics whilst we were there. We put fire on in front room to warm the caravan and a good tip for everyone is to put all burners and oven on for a while. I got up this morning and did this and my kids complained because the caravan was too hot!
Muddy around site but that's the weather. Pathways are everywhere. Been to the pool this morning and I was dreading it from the reviews. It was great, changing area clean and tidy. Pool very clean. Friendly staff, the only issue was the pool heating had gone off but we still went in and it was fine. I've been in colder pools. Yes the food and drink is more expensive but you know that when you book. Going to show tonight to see what that's like. We would definitely return and would recommend you make your own mind up when you come.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank misty07
Thank you for your recent review. I'm so pleased to hear that you had a great stay and that the team were both friendly and polite. The team here work so hard to deliver a quality and consistent high level of customer service and I have passed your feedback onto the relevant team leaders. I am sorry that we had a technical issue with the pool boiler during your stay, however I'm pleased it did not inconvenience you too much. I hope you enjoyed the show, and the team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Cayton Bay in 2013.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

After reading a lot of bad reviews on cayton bay I was a bit worried about what to expect my worries were soon forgotten once we arrived. We took 6 kids with us ages 2, 8, 9, 10 and 13 and all of them had a great time the entertainment was great and kept us all happy it's in a great location very close to scarborough would definatly not take any notice of the bad reviews if you are thinking of going.

• Stayed October 2012
Many thanks for your positive review. I am absolutely delighted that you all had a fantastic holiday here at Cayton Bay. We are very lucky to have an exceptionally professional entertainments team and I have passed on your comments to Mick and his team. We hope to see you all again in 2013 for another great family holiday.
West Yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

We have just returned from our 5th visit to Cayton Bay and yet again we have had a great week. We always book a private caravan with Welton Caravans and have never had a problem with any of the caravans we've stayed in (we have stayed in 5 out of 7 of their caravans!) They are always clean and tidy on arrival and we find them spacious and comfortable for a family of 4.
The site itself is small and well positioned for Scarborough, Filey, Whitby and Bridlington. If you don't want to take the car there are bus stops right outside the gates. At this time of year they were every hour but in the summer they are every half an hour.
As others have said the swimming pool is in need of some TLC and isn't designed for swimming as such, but my 2 boys (aged 7 and 3) love just splashing about and going down the slides.
The amusement area is small, but this is a small site so I think is is more than adequate. The entertainment team work VERY hard all day and evening! We went and took part in some halloween activities at 10:00 one morning and the same people were still working (with as much enthusiasm) at 10pm doing a glee show! They are fantastic and interact so well with the kids - we loved Jordon but think thats because hes from Bradford like us!!
We ate in the pub area once and found the food to be fine - its not overly cheap but its pub grub. The one thing we do find bad is the prices of the drinks - SO expensive. But we know this from previous years so just got on with it. The boys loved the soft play area - they spent hours in their making new friends. Yes older children go in that shouldn't but as long as you keep an eye on your own kids its fine. My boys never once complained of the older kids.
I would recommend Welton caravans to anyone - they are not the newest of vans but ours had UPVC double glazing and heating in all rooms and was spacious and clean and price wise its a bargain compared to the resorts prices.
Lots of people complain about this site but its never disappointed us. Its small, tidy and if you shop around you can get a good deal on a good caravan. You make of it what you want to - my family enjoy this site and will return again in 2013.

Room Tip: Book a privately to ensure a clean well looked after caravan. I recommend Welton Caravans
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Caz30WestYorkshire
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
The Crown Spa Hotel
The Sands - Sea Front Apartments
Harbourside Apartments
Harbourside Apartments
#9 of 35 in Scarborough

Been to Cayton Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts? Share your experiences!