“Short Break”
Review of Howdale

Howdale
Ranked #39 of 183 Scarborough B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 11, 2013

This is our fourth visit any certainly won't be our last. Lousia chatty and helpful as always. Rooms spotlessly clean, Breakfast excellent as ever and really sets you up for the day. Recommend staying here to anyone.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms worth paying extra for although the view of the cricket ground is fine. Stairs can b...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank B H

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Visited Scarborough for a weekend break, and stayed at the Howdale. A lovely little gem. Well placed for all amenities and has beautiful sea views over the North Bay. The hotel is small but has everything you need. The bedroom was clean and tidy and had an en-suite. The breakfasts were great and you had lots to choose from. The welcome from the owner was very friendly and she was always helpful and obliging. There was a small car park which is a bonus in Scarborough and was available free of charge.

Room Tip: Lower floor advisable if not so fit as no lift.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My wife and I have just returned home after a 2night stay at the Howdale Hotel.
Louisa welcomed us at the door with a cheery hello. We had booked a double room with en-suite and found this to comfortable and very clean.
Breakfast was substantial and very tasty - no need for lunch on both days!
Would recommend the Howdale to anyone and will be staying there again when in Scarborough

Room Tip: Rooms on the Queens Drive side have a view over the North Bay
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TheTykesHuddersfield
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Our two night stay began with a nice personal touch from Louisa with a birthday card for my wife waiting in our room.We booked a en suite room with a stunning view overlooking the bay.The room was clean as was the dining room and lounge.The breakfast was excellent,choice of cereals,cooked breakfast,toast,fruit,yoghurts,tea,coffee and juices..Great location close to the town centre,Peasholm Park and the North Bay.Free parking and Wifi.Would recommend.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Barneyal
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My 4 year old daughter and myself stayed here for a extra long weekend just and gone and all i can say, isthat it was perfect. Clean rooms, cosy beds, excellent service, great location. Breakfast was fantastic and cartered for all Louisa went out of her to make us and the other guests welcome. Really dont understand the negative petty comments...(.some people amaze me they really do) Louisa runs the hotel all by herself more or less, and its a credit to her. Defo coming back next year

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Joanne T
Reviewed July 7, 2013

After ringing the doorbell and waiting an uncomfortable amount of time, I was greeted by Louisa the owner of this B&B. Not the typical friendly bubbly B&B owner you might be expecting. I was told they had a standard room with a shared bathroom, I told Louisa I would nip to the car to ask my boyfriend and would come back. On my return she asked me 'Do you want this room or not as I finished at 8pm', it was only 8:30pm. I told her we would take it and then asked her about a parking space, she replied 'The car park's full I can't magic a space out of nowhere'. She continued to be rude/cold/arrogant, yet surprisingly when my boyfriend entered she transformed into this friendly helpful lady (That tells its own story!)
The room was good, bog standard B&B decor. The view was very nice as we ended up with a sea-facing room! Shared bathroom was tiny, had a bath in which seemed pointless and the shower was controlled by the bath taps which made temperature control difficult. The shower was not fixed to the wall so you have to hold the head whilst showering which makes it very frustrating. We stayed room only so didn't experience breakfast.
Overall, standard B&B nothing special but with great views if you get a sea room. User UN-friendly shared bathroom (Why not just fix the shower head to the wall?!) and an incredibly rude landlady. Will not be re-visiting!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sarah D
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Having booked into somewhere else for the 21st June, we arrived to find they had no reservation for us, we had to look for something else in Scarborough for 3 nights, with the wonderful help of another hotelier phoning round for us, he found us the place next door to him, with a first floor room, as I am on crutches I could only just manage to do that, Louisa welcomed us with a warm smile, the room she gave us was a sea view room, very clean and very comfortable. Breakfast in the mornings were cooked to perfection, all done by her husband on his own, there was a great variety of what you could have from cereals to what you wanted on the menu, with thanks to the other place not having found our reservation we had a much better place to stop, my husband and myself enjoyed it so much we are booked to go back in October for our 7th anniversary,
The howdale is solely run by Louisa and her husband from the cleaning up, with a lovely young girl to help out on a Sunday. This hotel is a credit to you both keep up the great work and we look forward to seeing you in October

Room Tip: Pay that little extra for the sea view rooms
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple