“Personal service and real food”

Taste Restaurant and Cafe Bar
Ranked #109 of 355 Restaurants in Scarborough
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
West Sussex
“Personal service and real food”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

As a regular guest staying on business I always take breakfast and evening meals in the hotel and I have always had the freshest, local and best prepared food in the town. The restaurant manager Dave and his team serve up wonderful wholesome foods from the professional kitchen every time.
Breakfast is delightful and I always have a bowl of their lovely porridge then help myself to the extensive options. Dinner sections are fab and I would recommend the fresh pizza or delicious salads, wonderful fresh and honest food, especially if rate in front of the log fire on a stormy December evening. Perfect

London
“Disappointing food”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We were staying in the hotel, we were intending eating in Taste on our last night but came back late from sightseeing and, fancying fish and chips (after all, we were at the seaside) and feeling it too late to walk to the old town and find a chippie that was open so went to Taste.
Maitre d’ and staff were pleasant and efficient. We both ordered the cod loin in tempura with chunky chips, peas and warm tartare sauce.

Some delicious bread with chunky grains of salt in the crust was brought.

Fish was great, as was the light crisp batter. But the fish was brought lying on the ‘hand cut’ chunky chips so that the fat from the batter soaked into the chips so they weren’t crisp on the outside. And as there were a total of 5 chips I ordered more as a side. These took ages to arrive, staff enquired twice if I was still waiting. When at last they came they weren’t crisp on the outside and they were a lot hotter inside than outside. I could only assume that they had been microwaved.

I couldn’t understand why anyone thought that serving warm tartare sauce was a good idea because as it cools it develops an off-putting skin on top, and wondered if everything was pre-prepared with the little pots of mushy peas and tartare sauce and line of cooked chips plated in advance, kept chilled and popped into a micro-wave to warm them when required, then the fish is put on top. If so it wasn’t clever, it wasn’t good, and it wasn’t four star.

Interesting wine list and I was please to see a sparkling and still English wine. But Mrs Pontac wanted a Sancerre. This was 2011 ‘La Clochette at £32 (around £11 retail), an OK brand from shipper Paul Boutinot whose other wines were also on the list.

Because of the disappointing chips we dropped plans to return the following night for steaks.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank LondonPontac
Shoreham by Sea
“Average, but that’s ok when staying at the hotel”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I stayed at this hotel at the last minute and so we ate here out of convenience really. All in all the food was nothing to write home about, but it wasn’t rubbish either. All I can say is that I finished both my starter and main course and felt quite satisfied. You won’t go wrong if you eat here but you won’t rave about it either. Sorry I can’t have more of an opinion, either way, but 3 stars sums this place up.

• Visited October 2012
Beverly Hills, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Poor”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We visited the Crown Hotel on the evening of Monday the 3rd of September as a pre-cusor to possibly staying for a couple of nights. Very glad we did rather than taking the chance of booking a room without doing some research first. We ate in the taste restaurant; some of the meal was ok, the waiting staff we're clearly still being trained as was evidenced by their being directed by the maitre d which leaves a sour taste in your mouth when you think a 'supposed' 4 star hotel should have a fully trained compliment of staff. The menu looked like it has been printed on someones home PC and then chucked into a cheap looking folder which was covered in finger prints...it gave a bad impression from the start. Some of the waiters looked like they'd just rolled out of bed, untidy and wearing unpressed trousers and shoes that looked scruffy. The icing on the cake was the RUBBISH music being blasted across the restaurant from a single crap speaker lodged in the ceiling, it sounded like rock radio from a decorators paint covered wireless...the ambience of the place was shot to bits by this. I made a complaint to the maitre d at the end of the evening when i paid the bill. My partner used the toilets and reported that they hadn't been cleaned properly. How this place has been rated as a four star I have no idea.
Would I go back?
NOT A CHANCE!

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Andrew B
sdsd
“Good food, poor service. Noisy children”
Reviewed June 3, 2012

I had high expectations as it was michelin recommended. The food came out well cooked, Presented nicely. Shame about the front of house staff. Not trained fully, they kept serving food across us, dropping cutlery and forgot to take our drinks order. A few were abrupt and surly in demeanour.

At £30 a head for 3 course, that's about average value for this type of restaurant. There were very noisy children eating at the next table. But no effort made to request parents to control them. Not pleasant dining atmosphere.