“Hugely disappointing”

Ranked #158 of 365 Restaurants in Scarborough
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I have returned to this fish restaurant every year for the past 28 years and for the first time I have been shocked at the quality of the chips. This was a restaurant which used to serve the best chips on the planet (no exaggeration!) and so I went there to enjoy the experience of melt in the mouth chips. This was just as important as the fish but this year i had a horrible shock. The fish was fine but those delectable chips were no more. Oh Wackers, what have you done? I'll never return. One of your waitresses tried to explain that it was the change in potatoes, but I do know the difference between fresh and frozen. I used to bring all my friends who visited me over the summer, but I won't be doing that again. I have since learned there has been a change in ownership. There will no doubt be a change in clientele for those who are discerning chip lovers!

2  Thank Pam l
There are newer reviews for Wackers

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Living locally, we regularly visit Wackers and are really surprised to read some negative reviews here on tripadvisor. There is a better than average range of fish, chips and peas to choose from and the meals are always well cooked and presented and served in double quick time. The ladies on the till are always helpful as is the manageress (Mrs Filey we call her 'cos that's where she comes from).

The restaurant and toilets are always clean and well kept which must be a challenge to the staff given the size of Wackers and the large numbers of people who pass through each day.

You will often see some of Scarborough's important/influential people enjoying a meal there which must say something about its reputation.

We go the Wackers in York on occasion but think the Scarborough restaurant is well ahead on all counts.

1  Thank 65Monkeyface
Reviewed July 21, 2013

we visited wackers on the 1st of july having seen it advertised on the back of the yorkshire tourist information book we found the staff extremely friendly myself and my son had asmall fish and chips and i ordered my husband the large one his was like a shark even the small was normal size our local chippy we thoroughly enjoyed it the food was fresh and hot we were so impress with the size of the fish we asked if we could have atake out the day we came home the staff could not of been more obliging we would certainly go back .I went to the toilet and again it was spotless

Reviewed July 18, 2013

We have been going to Wackers every summer for the past 20 yrs - its the first place we head for. What a big disappointment this year! The usually delicious chips were totally tasteless and inedible. The staff denied that they were frozen but we didnt believe them. We shall be looking at other restaurants from now on for our fish and chip meals

1  Thank hatusu
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Where do I start?
This used to be an excellent restaurant on par with the York franchise but no longer.
The service is shocking only matched by the food!!

My fish was overcooked and tough with the chips stale as though they had been cooked the day before.

You can actually see piles of part cooked chips behind the counter.

Toilets dirty and smelly!!

1  Thank BARRY T