“Time Warp Hotel”
Review of Bay Norbreck Hotel

Bay Norbreck Hotel
Ranked #18 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Our party of four have returned from a weekend break at the Norbreck, Scarborough and feel we must share our experience. We arrived and were checked in efficiently and given keys for the two double rooms as booked. What a shock to the system!!!!!! We had room 315. An extremely cold room with single glazed, wooden framed windows which ran with condensation completely obscuring any view of the bay. The carpets were grubby and the decor very tired. Our "shower" was a rubber pipe pushed onto the tap and laid in the bottom of the bath. This would have been adequate if it were not for the fact that when you lifted the pipe any higher than the level of the taps, the water stopped running completely. We had to resort to running a bath and laying under the water to wash and rinse hair. This did remind me of when I was a child but that was well over 50 years ago. Come on Shearings - this is totally unacceptable in 2013. The bed was hard and I think the mattress had seen better days. A plus point was that we were one of the rooms having a duvet rather than blankets. By Saturday evening we were so cold that after having a bath and getting ready to go down for dinner we had to sit with our pyjamas wrapped around our shoulders to try to keep warm - it was that or sit with our coats on. The heating in this hotel is only on for two hour sessions. Why is this? It just does not make sense. We did seek out Louise, the hotel manager, and she found us a heater to put in the room which improved to the temperature of the room but added to the condensation problem. The other room in our party was 314 which was slightly better in so far as it was double glazed and had a proper shower, but the heated towel rail didn't work and they had blankets on the bed. The bath panel was also broken.
On a plus side, the staff in this hotel are a credit to Shearings. They were all friendly and helpful and always seemed overworked. I might say the quality of the staff is too good for this hotel.
The food was adequate for the price of the holiday but again, the dining room windows constantly ran with condensation so it spoiled what would have been beautiful views over the bay. The dining room staff nearly ran round to get you served and again they did this with a smile despite appearing to be understaffed and overworked.
The hotel has a prime site on the cliff top and it is a short 10 to 15 minute walk into the town centre. There are nice walks along the promenade in both directions all the way around both bays.
PARKING TIP don't pay the £5 a day hotel car park fee. We were disappointed not to be able to book a car parking space as it was already full. On arrival we were given an on street parking permit which allowed us to park right outside the hotel for only £1.60 for the whole 4 days duration of our stay.
To finish off. Would we return? Never in a month of Sundays. Come on Shearings. This hotel needs dragging into the present day standards expected from fee paying guests. We appreciate that it is an economy break but taking entertainment and meals out of the equation, Travelodge and others offer better rooms for similar prices. We were told that the hotel is undergoing refurbishment and 8 more rooms are being upgraded next year. At the rate of 8 rooms a year this will take forever. Your staff are far too good for this place.
We have done Shearings breaks to Whitby and Morecombe and both put this place to shame.

Room Tip: Not sure if there are any good rooms!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank LincolnTravellers_12
Louise M, General Manager at Bay Norbreck Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. It is lovely to hear your praise for the staff and I am sorry the room marred your enjoyment. As you have mentioned we have planned 8 rooms in for refurbishment next year as part of our ongoing refurbishment plan. Our heating times are amended to suit the changing weather patterns and the needs of our guests. I have taken on board all of your comments and hope you will enjoy future holidays with Shearings.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

Louise Flora Ruth bar staff lady you were all great but oh my the evening meals were a disaster I never choose soup because other choices are usually very appealing but I had to choose the soup as the other choices were poor. Ichose fish day one yuk,youk,yuk.vegetables were uninviting as well. Day two I chose fish again what a silly person I was it was dry and horrible he certainly cant cook fish, people can you remember the peas that were served, they were certainly a talking point inthe evening. Louise please have a word in his ear.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank anyaone

I am sorry to hear you were not pleased with the meals and these comments have been passed to the chef. It is good to read your comments about myself and other members of the team and I will make sure that your compliments are passed on.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

This hotel is in a great location and views are great, though if you want to walk into town, it is a long walk uphill back to the hotel.

The breakfast was fine, no complaints there, but dinner was very bland, edible most of the time but avoid the Spaghetti Bolo, worst I ever had! I'm guessing they think people over 60 have lost their taste buds and will eat anything put in front of them, and I guess most probably do, rather than complain.

Rooms, I had a twin (sharing with my mother), if wasnt too bad, we were the lucky ones and had duvets rather than blankets. It did look like it had been refurbished in recent years but I guess they couldnt stretch to replacement bath panels, as ours was taped up in places, nor could they stretch to new blinds in bathroom as our one was mouldy.

One very sad fact is that during our stay there, the lift wasnt working at all, it looked like a very old lift and could do with being replaced. I am more than capable of climbing the stairs, but considering this hotel probably caters mostly for retired people I saw many people, including my mum who struggled a great deal.

We had a nice break in Scarborough, but sadly I wouldnt go back to this hotel unless I see more positive reviews in the future.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank mkjackie
Louise M, General Manager at Bay Norbreck Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. It is disappointing to hear you were not completely satisfied with your break and your comments have been passed on to the team for attention.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed in room 203 .Small but clean ,bathroom clean but bath panel cracked. great view of Bay ,as usual with this type of Hotel only 1 bedroom chair and 1 bedside cabinet. Plenty of tea coffee milk which we liked. Food was of good quality and plenty
.Bar prices normal for hotels
Mon even entertainment good Tue wet & ? naff. Thur Daniel Defoe very good indeed.
The Staff were quick and helpful and very pleasent

Room Tip: If you like to go to bed early ask for a room not over the bar.Most rooms have a sea view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank geoffrey f
Louise M, General Manager at Bay Norbreck Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

It’s great to read you enjoyed your stay. I will pass all your comments on to the staff and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

went to bay norbreck hotel in October and sorry to say the food was not that good the breakfast is okay but dinner is not good very bland and well just boring. The staff work so hard but clearly there is not enough of them so they cant and don't interact with there guests because they are rushing around all the time. room was okay but the bed had blankets cant believe no duvet someone wrote on the window dirty the lift was out of order for the 5 days we were there the guests on the whole are over 60 so they do need a lift. the location is stunning at the top of the cliffs looking out to the sea, what a picture. despite all of the bad comments we still had a nice time because of the good old british stiff upper lip and good company of the other guests.

Room Tip: lift is old so if you have any disability request before you travel a room on the first floor.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank derek b

Thanks for your comments Derek b. I am sorry you were not entirely pleased with your stay. We have a great team of staff who work very hard especially during the busy service times. Your comments will be passed onto our chef so he is aware of your opinions. We are in the process of changing all our bedding to duvets as we agree that blankets and sheets are not as desired as they used to be, although we still have some guests who prefer them. The lift breakdown was unfortunate and unavoidable and I am happy to say this has been repaired and we have had no further issues with it.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

we stayed here mon to fri 14 oct 18th
hotel location was good rooms 320 was of a good size over looking bay when you could see out windows as they where coverd in condensation most of the time .
i had to ask for a change in mattres as it felt like it had a big hole in it ,it got changed.
room its self was clean bathroom was all right as well .
hotel dose need to be updated
food breakfast was all right. evening meals were ok the choice of meals for us were not to good where has all the plain menus gone not eveyone likes there meats cooked in sauces we eat out one night.
staff were pleasent entertainment was ok but they had to finish early at night as people complained about the noise . it wasnt that loud. I came on holiday to this hotel as it had entertainment.if people dont want it they shouldnt go to hotels that advertise entertainment.
i think they should invest in good quality mattreses as there are used everday .

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gateway72

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We have a varied menu and are happy to offer alternatives if the menu does not suit. Our entertainment does draw a lot of customers as we have some very popular artistes and guests come back to see them as I hope you shall.

Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

Just stayed there for 4 nights and to say it was a disappointment is an understatement. Whilst the staff were friendly enough the place is looking very tired and grubby in a lot of places. It really needs a major lot of work doing to it in the form of decorating and new carpets almost everywhere.

We were also very disappointed with the room we had, we were in Room 303 this was supposed to be a double room but was really only the size of a single which was confirmed as we were leaving the bedroom to check out the room door opposite was wide open so we had a peer in and this room was of a similar size but only had a single in it.

The room we were in barely had room to move in it, the door pretty much opened on to the bedside cabinet and you had a bit of a struggle to move round. The side of the bed my wife sleeps at only had a small amount of room between that and a raised lip to a window purporting to be a sea view room which we had paid extra for. My wife struggled to get round the side of the bed for visits to the loo during the night and had to put the light on for fear of banging herself or falling with the lack of space. The bedding looked clean but the bed creaked when you got in or when you wanted to turn over during the night. Carpet in the room could do with either a good clean or renewing. The bathroom had a towel airier that didn't work and the bath side had a hole in which was covered by white tape. As we progressed down with our luggage there were lots of rooms that had there doors open as there was 2 coach loads had just left and housekeeping were attending to getting the ready for further guests this gave us a view on the size of other rooms all what we saw were a lot bigger than ours had been and further confirmed that ours was really a single with a double bed squashed in.

The passageways all need decorating and new carpets.

I have stopped at a lot of hotels in my time both with work and holidays and I accept a bit of scuffing of walls here and there and I am not one for nitpicking hence why I haven't done many reviews on here but this hotel is so tired and needs something doing with it urgently I just had to review this with the hope that other people think again about going here until Shearings which is no small company does something with this hotel and others in the chain too as the Royal at Whitby whilst not as bad as the Norbreck also needs refurbishment too.

Until Shearings does something then please look to stay somewhere else.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank kevinhemingway

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback kevinhemingway. We carry out regular refurbishment of our hotels having had 14 rooms refurbished in the last 2 phases and another 8 planned for next year at the Norbreck. The room you stayed in is one of our smaller rooms and it houses the same amenities as all our others with tea and coffee making facilities, tv, hairdryer & plenty of storage space. I have passed the faults you have reported in your room to our maintenance staff who will look into the issues