“Cheap b&b (and it shows)”

Esplanade Gardens Hotel
Ranked #87 of 184 Scarborough B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We booked this b&b for the location -half way between Olivers Mount and Scarborough and for that reason it was great. However, I wouldn't suggest staying here if you want to be able to move around the room, it was tiny! I think that we had the smallest room in the building, but it shouldn't have been classed as a double. Just because you can fit a double bed in it, doesn't mean there should be one there! it's definitely more suited to being a single.The wardrobe doesn't open properly because it hits the corner of the bed and it's a squeeze if both of you are standing up on the same side of the bed.
No fan provided in the middle of a heatwave, so we had to leave our window open all day and night -not very secure. The mattress was ok, but because we had to keep the window open, we were woken up regularly by seagulls!

In the bathroom / cupboard, there are about 3 inches between your knees and the shower door when you're sitting down and the basin is in the bedroom. The door to the bathroom really belongs on a room that needs less privacy. The main issue with the shower was the lack of space and the water temperature was fine, then presumably someone in the building turned on a tap and it was scalding/freezing. This wouldn't be an issue, but due to the lack of space, there was no-where to escape to when you wanted to get away from being scalded!

The decor of the room was dated, the wallpaper was beginning to peel and the carpet was fraying and dirty in places. Also, my towel had a yellow stain on it. This b&b needs a real overhaul and by a professional - it had a real 'botched job' feel to it.

The breakfast was good - fruit salad, cereals and a choice of 6 locally produced items from a cooked breakfast menu. Nice coffee and the lady serving was friendly and polite.

Parking was on street with a permit given to us by the proprietor, once we found a space, we stayed in it and walked everywhere (nothing was far away, and it's a nice walk into Scarborough).

I'm not sure what the other rooms are like, so I don't want to put anyone off as it is a cheaply priced b&b in a good location, but avoid room 2 and take your own fan if it's hot!

Room Tip: If you are travelling alone, room 2 will be ok, but it is not good for 2 people, it's very pokey...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Lovely hotel, spotlessly clean, very comfortable beds and excellent breakfast. Derrick (proprietor) was very nice and accomodating, ringing for our taxi and taking our photos. The breakfast was excellent, fresh fruit salad, cereal and full english. Menu cards had to be filled in the night before, no problem for us. Would highly recommend this hotel, the only down side was that we only stayed one night, we will be back

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I have been a regular visitor to Scarborough over many years in summer and have stayed a quite a few guest houses etc in that time with varied experiences.

I booked a single room directly by telephone with the owner 3 days prior to going for an overnight stay this last weekend as I was going to a music festival in Whitby on the Saturday night. (There was a credit card charge incurred and it seems that full payment was going to be drawn from the card immediately by the proprietor).

On arrivalI was able to leave my bags there on Saturday morning, was given got a parking zone docket for £2 from the hotel.

I didnt particularly find the proprietors very welcoming, the property is typically dated, location is on the south side of town cliff top overlooking the spa theatre area, which I thought was fine.

The single room was ok, but has a modern shower unit fitted into it which made it even smaller

The toilet is on the same landing with its own key.

I would say breakfast was pretty much as a norm, and guests are asked to complete a menu card to order. I did particularly like the fresh fruit salad bowl that was included with the breakfast.

I makes you wonder though, that for a now typical charge £32 pppn for B&B, in dated buildings, with the bare basic facilities, from my own experience you would get a reasonable 3 star hotel with B&B in many parts of the Med, with swimming pool, etc, and of course something we cant control in the UK, there would be the climate advantage.

I did feel that there just wasn't a welcoming feel to the place, maybe that was just something personal, or they may have thought I was a mystery shopper. :o))

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank velocity50
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Just come back from a one night stay,myself and two friends having done some walking in the area.
Meet by derek upon arrival,very friendly shown to a very clean and bright room,settled in with no fuss.In the morning came down to an excellent breakfast,nicely presented and hot.
All three of us concluded that we would definitely come back when in the area again..

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Arrive to a nice warm welcome a friendly smile and a pleasant experience.

The room was clean and spacious with large victorian sasch windows the beds were comfortable and the room was large enough for my family to relax in appliances modern and well kept dvd player built into tv etc

Breakfast was fresh and tasty using local farm produce and once again a pleasant smile from the hosts (cost nothing but goes a long way)

Overall very good will use again!!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Chaos45
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel on two occasions whilst visiting friends in Scarborough. The rooms, whilst slightly dated, are very clean, as is the rest of the hotel and the beds are certainly extremely comfy.

What really sets this place apart though is the quality of the breakfast, which s truly amazing, and all locally sourced, fresh produce. I will try and stay in this hotel whenever I visit in the future. The propriator is very friendly too.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We come here every year. I don't usually write reviews but after seeing a couple of negative ones I felt I had to. Derek has always tried to carry our bags up to our room & both Jenny & Derek are extremely friendly. My partner would rather have stayed in there chatting to Derek than with me & our daughter!
The rooms are always spotless(we wouldn't go every year if they weren't) & the breakfast is amazing. You order the night before which I like & they give you chance to have fruit & cereal before bringing cooked meal. My daughter, Emily, has said she doesn't ever want to stay anywhere else in Scarborough!
I've never not had my room serviced & I have always returned to find it immaculate with the refreshment tray topped up with lovely biscuits.
Before we found Esplanade gardens we used to stay in a different b&b every year but not anymore and we look forward to coming back this summer, if you're not fully booked! We actually changed our dates last year so we could go & they were very flexible with our room as I booked for just me & my daughter as my partner was working away but then got time off and they were very happy to change our room at short notice.
Brilliant value for money, recommend to anyone who wants a comfortable bed, clean room & delicious breakfast with a warm welcome.
Thanks for having us & the review in the comments book from Huddersfield was definitely written by me!

• Stayed: July 2012