“Rude and surly landlord”
Review of Phoenix Court

Phoenix Court
Ranked #42 of 183 Scarborough B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Having stayed here before, I phoned this hotel yesterday to inquire about a room. I spoke to the landlord and found his attitude to be rude and unhelpful throughout our conversation. For example, upon being told that the hotel had a room during the relevant period I asked (quite reasonably), where it was located. That elicited the terse response: "What do you mean?", although it must have been obvious to the landlord that I meant whereabouts in the hotel the room was located. I expect that most potential guests ask that question, and was surprised in fact that the landlord hadn't offered up the information himself. Having finally established that the room was at the back of the hotel, I asked (again quite reasonably), what floor it was on, to which the landlord replied (rudely) "Oh, you want me to commit to a floor do you?" I'm not sure why he adopted this attitude, as I am a courteous person who had simply phoned the hotel with a view to staying there. From the start to the end of the conversation, however, the landlord's attitude was brusque, rude and unpleasant. The coup de grace came at the end of the exchange when he asked me whether I wanted to book a room. By that stage I would sooner have slept on the beach than given this man my custom, so replied that I would think about it, in response to which he made a "tsssch" sound. If this individual is as discourteous in person as he was to me on the telephone I can only imagine that a stay at his establishment would be a most unpleasant affair.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
17  Thank Bob_Slocum

Reviewed September 4, 2013

I stayed for two nights with my young daughter and were quite disappointed. It stated that complementary handmade fudge was in the rooms - this was not the case, much to the dismay of my daughter. Yes our room had a seaview once the condensation cleared from the windows, which took several hours. The cups in the room were dirty and had to be washed prior to use and the full English breakfast I chose on the first morning was going well until I found head hairs in the bacon! In addition, the owners seemed a little put out when I requested the use of an iron and also when we arrived for breakfast at 9.15 am on the first morning, though breakfast times were 8am to 9.30am.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MRB0511
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Visited Phoenix Court for a one night stay with my boyfriend, brother, sister in law and their two young children over the bank holiday weekend. Had a lovely time. The B&B is central to both the South Bay (fun fair, arcades, shops) and the North Bay (Peasholm park, open air theatre, sea life centre). The rooms were spacious, clean and had good facilities such as chairs, hairdryer, nice shower, toiletries, tea and coffee making facilities etc. The beds were huge and very comfortable. Was also very impressed with the breakfast and the bar facilities. The only dissapointment I had about the B&B is that we had hoped to park there the next day to spend the day enjoying Scarborough but we were unable to as the B&B were busy that day. Not the end of the world though, as we checked out early easily got parked under the cliffs and parking prices in Scarborough are quite reasonable (£6 for 24 hours). Overall an excellent stay and would definitely return.

Room Tip: Definitely opt for a sea view room if you can, beautiful view across the bay!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Chantel121884
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I stayed in Phoenix Court for 2 nights with my Hubby, and a couple of friends, to celebrate our 17th wedding anniversary, and our friend's birthday, which were on Sat 3rd Aug.
We decided on Phoenix Court as it has its own private parking, always a premium at the top of the North Bay. We booked 2 double sea view rooms on the 1st and 2nd floors - the rooms are very large with mega king-sized beds (so big you need a map to find your partner) - the views of the North Bay are amazing from Rutland/Blenheim Terrace, and the large bay windows with seating give a fab vantage point to watch the sea, and also the world go by, it's a very quiet spot, and there are seaview benches just across the road, handy if you have any smokers among you.
The hotel, which is more of a B&B, is very clean and well equipped, with hairdryer, toiletries (the tiny soap was gorgeous) a hospitality tray (although the coffee left a lot to be desired, and there was never enough milk)
The shower room was fairly small, but ok for a couple of nights. The bed and bedding were very comfy and immaculately clean, there was plenty of storage space, and the rooms are clean and bright - the only criticism I'd have is the decor is a bit dated and the fittings are shabby in places, this is the only reason I'm not rating Phoenix Court a 5.
Breakfast was lovely, the waiting staff very friendly, as were our hosts, and all in all, I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Michelle W
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Having stayed here before, no hesitation in returning. Great location, situated between North and South bay. We had a 1st floor sea-view room, fantastic view, spacious, very clean, with all the usual ensuite facilities. Extensive choice for breakfast, all ingredients locally sourced. Parking adjacent to hotel, free to guests. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Choose a seaview room.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MalcolmB867
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We arrived in Scarborough and took a walk up North Beach (stay here for less of the hustle and bustle of South Beach - but close enough to head down there). The B&B owner was outside sweeping the drive and we enquired about a room, she showed us what she had available and we immediately booked - another top thing to note is that parking is sparce in Scarborough so a free parking spot saved us £10 a day.

The room was very clean and traditional, just what we needed and the breakfast was top notch. Lots of locally sourced foods and the service was excellent.

If back in Scarborough this would be my destination again, top quality for just under £60 a night.

5 mins walk down the hill to North Beach and about a 10 min walk down the other side to South Beach.

Room Tip: We stayed in a top floor sea facing room. The owner was more than helpful and let us choose what we...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

We came here for a weekend away and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

The room was lovely. Bed was huge and was very clean.

Breakfast was nice, they had a good selection.

We had a good comfortable stay and will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: October 2012