“50th birthday weekend”
Review of Powys Lodge

Powys Lodge
Ranked #28 of 183 Scarborough B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 11, 2010

booked all of the Powys Lodge for friends and family to celebrate husbands 5oth birthday and our silver wedding. Upon arrival we were all given a very warm welcome from Leslie and Colin, Everyone was very impressed by the cleanliness of the whole place and the welcome we received. We stayed in the hotel on the Friday night for a party and all had fab time, Leslie and Colin had made us a lovely buffet and we partied well into the next morning. (setting a new bar record). They provided a lovely breakfast on both mornings even delaying it by a few hours to give us a chance to surface. We had our 20 month old granddaughter with us and everything we mite need for her was available and we all felt at home. Would definately return to a superb establishment, and would thoroughly recommend for events such as ours or holiday.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed December 7, 2009

The Hotel was spotless and in very good order which must be difficult with an old property, the owners very welcoming, perhaps Colin too much at times, introducing everyone to each other at breakfast - Call me a miserable [--] but I like to give a polite nod to other guests at breakfast not to be introduced like we're at a party. Other than that you can't faulty the place.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 4, 2009

We really enjoyed the hospitality and friendliness of Powys Lodge. The owners couldn't do enough for us and helped us with directions and all our other questions. Breakfast is good value with Colin on hand to make sure everyone has everything they need. It is situated in a nice quiet area and parking was no problem. I would definitely return next time I am in Scarborough.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HuddersfieldCat
Reviewed September 10, 2008

I am not one to ordinarily complain however I have used trip advisor for a number of years because as a whole the comments on here are fair - therefore felt I should explain about my trip to Powys Lodge, as I have read nothing but high praise for this establishment.

I booked this hotel on a late deals/last minute holiday booking site and got what I thought was a bargain.

The B&B was in a good location, parking was readily available and the B&B from the outside looked nice. Upon entering myself and my partner were greeted and shown the downstairs of the b&b - consisting of a lounge area, a bar and a dining area. All of which looked nice. We were then escorted to our room....which in itself looked ok but .... it was at this point however my experience went downhill.

Not to go into too many details but an error by the owner of the b&b on an online booking system had meant that we had been incorrectly charged for the room. Upon arriving one of the owners (i believe that was who he was) informed us of this and then repeatadly accused me of ignoring communications that he claimed that the hotel had sent informing me of this. I was shocked to hear this, especially in the manner that it was said, as I am an honest person and had never received such communications. Both myself and my partner were so shocked that we checked that all my contact details on the form were correct. They were.

After the accusations the gentlemen left us in our room saying that 'there was nothing that could be done now, so we'll both just have to cope with it', but I was so upset after the entire ordeal that we decided to leave the b&b to find alternative accomodation.

Prior to leaving the other owner did try to persuade us to stay however we were not interested. Credit to them at this point, after 5 mins of discussing why I did not want to stay they did give me a refund of the deposit I had paid (even though the terms and conditions did say this would not happen.)

Overall I was disgusted at the customer service of the b&b, I have never been spoken to (as a customer) in the manner that I was spoken to by one of the owners. The advice I would give would be not to take for granted any seemingly bargain deals on this b&b..... I personally would prefer to pay quadruple what I paid (and did end up doing so) and be treated the way that a customer on a short holiday expects to be treated.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank AC24Rotherham
Reviewed April 20, 2008

I have stayed a Powys Lodge a few times now and I would recommend it to anyone. It is clean and has a welcoming lounge and bar area with a pool table. The bedrooms have everything you need and are always impeccable. The owners are always friendly and definately make the stay more worth while. The full English breakfast is not to be missed and the eating area opens onto a lovely patio, perfect on a sunny day while you sip your morning coffee and plan your day.

The town centre and the beach are just a short walk from the hotel so whether you want to sample the local nightlife, shop, take in the local sights or relax on the beach, you are never far from your base.

It is well worth a visit and I can't wait to return.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank LancashireBridget
Reviewed March 2, 2008

family fun business with a good bar with pool table for both adults and children. Friendly owners who were welcoming and accomodating. Good location for both town centre and sea front
Would definatley recomend to familys and couples.
www.powyslodge.co.uk

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)