“Delicious carvey and pie!”

The Hare and Hounds
Ranked #6 of 78 Restaurants in Sidmouth
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Scenic view, Bar scene, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Delicious carvey and pie!”
Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

Stopped here with my other half after a Sunday walk, very welcoming and great pub food! We ordered the turkey and ham pie and the carvery. The pie was nice and homemade looking with proper pub chips, and the carvery was very good too.

Wakefield, United Kingdom
“What a miserable unwelcoming place to visit”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Called on a very quiet Saturday afternoon for late lunch, 4 adults. The older guy on the bar was surly and most unhappy about serving us drinks, plenty of staff about and not many customers. We ordered Nachos to share for starters, and 4 main meals with some sides. Nachos arrived with burnt cheese on and tasted like cardboard, and my main arrived at the same time, not a good start! I had ham salad, so just moved it aside whilst we ate the starter. When the other 3 mains arrived after starter cleared - I inquired after 5 mins where the potatoes were that were part of the salad according to the menu, and where the side order of chips for my hubbie was, I had to show the waitress my receipt to prove we had paid! She opened the door to kitchen and shrieked at top of her voice for the potatoes, they arrived within 5 mins, and I asked why my main arrived with the starter, she said, because it was ready?!! Other 3 meals were gammon and eggs, panini with ham, which were tasty, and scampi and chips - very overpriced for the amount of scampi on plate Overall we spent £80+ for really bad service and average food, wouldn't recommend this place to anyone, such a shame as the pub and menu look so inviting! Maybe they don't like customers, or have a bad employer and are deeply unhappy!

• Visited November 2013
4 Thank judy M
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Very friendly country pub”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

We were recommended to try this pub and were glad we did. The staff were all very friendly and welcoming despite being extremely busy.
My husband decided to have a carvery meal and I chose the Chicken and Ham pie. We were informed, when we ordered the food at the bar ,that we would be told a couple of minutes before the food order was ready in order for my husband to go to the carvery for his meal. We were a little sceptical about this as it was so busy at lunch time .....but they were as good as their word and so both meals were ready at the same time.
There was a choice of four roast meats and a large selection of vegetables to chose from which my husband thoroughly enjoyed. I was impressed with my pie which came piping hot and with extra gravy in a gravy boat which was a welcome touch. The carvery (like all carveries) was not quite as hot as the individually ordered meal but was still extremely tasty.

1 Thank MrsG20
“Carvery!”
Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

Amazing carvery, but dont expect peace and quiet on a Sunday. Every visit this place has been packed. The food is outstanding and great value. The queue never seems to get shorter, but definitely worth the wait. A proper country pub.

Torquay, United Kingdom
“Carvery”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

This pub without a doubt serves up the best carvery for miles around - the vegetables are always fresh and not overcooked and the roast potatoes crispy on the outside and fluffy inside - there is a choice of 4 meats and the servings are extremely generous - I have always found the staff to be helpful and friendly - Sunday is the busiest day and you need to reserve a table but during the week the carvery is just as good and they are not quite so busy - there is ample parking and plenty of outside seating for sunny days