“good hotel but turn down the thermostat”

Sidmouth Harbour Hotel - The Westcliff
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Sidmouth
wiltshire
“good hotel but turn down the thermostat”
Reviewed October 26, 2010

Stayed here for long weekend break. Best price was by booking direct with Harbour Hotels. £50 cheaper than booking.com etc. Good location in lovely town of Sidmouth. Room12 was a good size but slightly let down by bathroom being in need of some t.l.c.
Paint needed retouching, hair in sink plughole. Some marks on one of my pillows and a bloodstain on the runner at bottom of bed. Staff very polite and attentive. Only major problem was the level of heating in the lounge and restaraunt areas, it was uncomfortably hot for us. I know Sidmouth tends to cater for the more elderly end of the spectrum but surely they can't all be hot house flowers. We were very tempted to go down to breakfast in swimsuits the heating was turned up so high however, the breakfast itself was very good with a good choice of cooked to order and buffet food. Fortunately the temperature in our bedroom was fine and the bed was very comfortable.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
Berkshire
Reviewed August 26, 2010

This is a very comfortable well furnished clean hotel, in a perfect locations close to the town centre, gardens and promenade. The hotel is in a prime position and offers beautiful views of the sea. Our sea view room (25) was clean, and provided plenty of storage space and everything you need in the bathroom. The staff were friendly and attentive and worked very well as a team. While the food was of a good and we eat in the hotel during restaurant, although the menu was somewhat repetitiveve during our 3 night stay.

It was difficult to find anything out of place or unacceptable at The Westcliffe and we would stay again. The free on site parking was a bonus so close to the town centre and seafront.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Banbury
Reviewed July 26, 2010

Having read some of the reviews, I was a little apprehensive as I am in my early 40s taking my 78 year old Aunt for a 4 night break in Sidmouth. I need not have worried! We had a twin room, spacious, very clean on arrival & kept that way throughout our break. The hotel is brilliantly located - within a leisurely 5 minutes walk to the centre of Sidmouth and is right opposite the beautiful Connaught gardens with steps down to the pebble beach. We stayed on a B&B basis with the breakfast being a buffet with the usual cereals, fruit, yoghurts, pastries etc plus the staff taking your order for cooked breakfast. Excellent food & service. We had various snacks on the sun terrace, again very good service & reasonable hotel prices. We had our Saturday evening meal in the restaurant, a 3 course meal for £25 a head. Very good food and the usual excellent service.
The hotel is obviosly very popular with the older generation - many seem to return year after year but I loved the civilised feel & the charm of it - I wish more hotels where like it! I don't think it would be suitable for boisterous children, but I intend to return with my husband. Can't wait!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Cheshire
Reviewed July 26, 2010

I wanted to try this hotel for afternoon tea as a potential hotel for my in laws to use.
I emailed to ask to book for afternoon tea and received a reply saying there was no need to book for afternoon tea. I did say in the message that it was as a treat for my husbands birthday and would see them on the appropriate date. However, when we turned up at the appointed time we were informed that we needed to have booked. When I said I had emailed and been told that we didn't need to book and was advised that we could have a cream tea but not full afternoon tea and as I had not used the term "FULL" afternoon tea I had not made it clear! (Perhaps explains why the lounge was empty).
Well we won't be recommending it to my inlaws or anyone else - we went next door to the Victoria where we sat in a beautiful busy lounge with a stunning view of Sidmouth and enjoyed a beautiful afternoon tea served by lovely staff.

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cheshireangel
bolton
Reviewed July 25, 2010

a very nice hotel that appeals to the older generation, we are in our 40s and my parents have both just turned 70 and they look young towards the other guest.
lots of nice features - the gardens overlooking the sea,the resteraunt with its piano, the loverly staircase. views from bedrooms great.
things that need attention. the lift looks like a staff lift. the flat roof areas need repainting. and windows need replacing, pool area needs a complete revamp broken flags , sunchairs and cushions need replacing and pool needs a good clean.
our room overlooked the side of hotel and carpark but we had a small balcony and view of the sea , i liked this room as it was very light. bathroom very nice and modern.my mum and dads room had a fantastic view of pool, gardens and sea front.
breakfast was excellent well presented and cooked loverly.
short walk onto seafront plenty of shops and resteraunts. hotel is next to the gardens and jacobs ladder.
i did like this hotel but you get a feeling that the guest at the hotel dont want anyone else there only the regular old people. we would love to go back to sidmouth and yes we would stay there again,

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Gaynor E
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2010

This is a quiet, well-located hotel ideally suited for the over-60s. Pleasant garden and cliff-top walks are a few hundred yards away, yet the town is also within easy reach. Rooms are reasonably spacious, clean and comfortable. There is an outdoor pool, but it is pretty small. Service in the restaurant was very efficient, and the food of a reasonably high standard. There is a spacious lounge with views over the sea. .All-in-all, a very enjoyable three-night stay.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Dorset, Vermont
Reviewed June 5, 2010

Wanted a get away from the stress of normal life !! This hotel is wonderful !! situated in a peaceful spot with fantastic views. The staff could not possibly be more helpful !! WHAT MORE COULD ANYONE WANT !!!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family