“What a delight!”

Sidmouth Harbour Hotel - The Westcliff
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Sidmouth
“What a delight!”
Reviewed February 4, 2012

We recently stayed for a week in the charming Regency town of Sidmouth.
We were very fortunate to choose to stay in the Westcliff hotel.
The service was excellent. The staff friendly & helpful. The location was great & the views wonderful.
The breakfasts were excellent (we did not have other meals there so can't comment on these).
We also took with us two small dogs. They were also made very welcome (which is becoming unusual elsewhere).
We'd certainly go back, our stay was excellent value for money ( off season anyway!).

• Stayed January 2012
Ken C, General Manager at Sidmouth Harbour Hotel - The Westcliff, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
Thank you for taking time out of your day to review our hotel on this website. I am really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us on yet another repeat visit. We pride ourseleves on looking after our guests and your comments will be shared with the team. We look forward to welcoming you back once again in the not too distant future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
london
Reviewed February 4, 2012

We stayed for a weekend last month and will be going back again this month. We were very impressed with the staff at this hotel - who were very efficient and pleasant to deal with. Therooms were adequate - some are being renovated - but typical of an English seaside hotel. The restaurant breakfast was excellent (superb coffee and I am an afficionado of coffee) and freshly cooked food. We booked dinner each evening and it was also good and service above average. We can recommend this hotel. It is next to the seafront and walks nearby.

Room Tip: try for a seaview
2 Thank Member888
Gloucestershire
Reviewed February 3, 2012

Quite expensive to stay here in the main season, so took the option of a laterooms .com offer for January, and if I can get £52 B & B price again with sea view I will be going again,
The room was fine just dirty windows, no problem at all with the staff all very friendly and helpful.
Only downside was the breakfast which for the first two days was very poor, the plate was very hot and the food lacked flavour as it seemed to be very dried up, may be it was kept too warm for too long, just did not taste freshly cooked, however the third and last breakfast was fine. The expensive dinner option was not taken.

Dartmoor National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2012

The hotel is located at the far end of the esplanade so technically it does face the sea but is behind some pretty impressive beach front thatched housing. Booked here as a wedding anniversary treat, on arrival had to wait about 5 mins for reception staff to attend to us, as there was a bit of a conflab going on in a nearby office, I did wave through the mirrored glass window, however something on the computer was keeping staff amused and distracted! Anyway eventually we got to book in. Allocated room 9 with a seaview, Room was big and clean, lots of space and a massive wardrobe to put your luggage, little sofa and table chairs all the usual tea and coffee stuff. Big massive bed, comfy and clean. annex wash basin with a bathroom bath with shower and seperate shower, again clean, but apparently due for a re furb. The shower was good and refeshing.Window overlooks a flat roof onto lawn two balconied rooms either side. looking on to the Victoria Hotel ( this looked impressive!) Sea view to right and up the Esplanade, so technically not a direct seaview ! No net curtains so had to keep curtains closed all of the time to save on other folk peeking in from other rooms! As I have a tendency to walk around in my underpants or naked not good, so did not get to see the sea much! Glass on the windows was old too and seen better days, apart from all that the room was ok, I liked it.
Breakfast was hearty, everything you need to start the day, I did not go hungry at breakfast. Very good. Dinner in the was again a fixed choice menu of about four choices, bit confused on a £3 surcharge for smoked chicken salad, well thats not a technical dish, so thats bad news even the basic of chefs can throw a bit of salad and a bit of chicken on a plate. I must say that the main courses were excellent, My Steak with an £8.00 surcharge was excellent! however the deserts and starters were average chief skills. Wine list is atrocious, overpriced rubbish, I know my wine, house wine at £15.50 a bottle is a rip off, £25. for an average wine is a rip off too, when will hotels learn! I can buy a decent very drinkable enjoyable wine for £10 and £ 16 buys me luxury wine to drink So I am affraid the wine list here is crass. The Staff are your saving grace though as they potter around all night at your service and do a grand job and are very polite. Overall it was a good deal , nice place, cosy and relaxing atmosphere. A little too hot at times temperature wise. This is a nice Hotel, I understand is due for a bit of a re-furb . Sidmouth is good too plenty of good shops and may I recommend Woodfordes Perfumery, top class smells for ladies and gents here!
So would I return, yes probably. Just iron out your little faults with the Cheifing and your wine list and your be onto a deffinate winner with myself and my friends who I will tell do stay and make your own review!

Room Tip: Pay extra and get a proper sea view, be wine list savy, ask about corkage
Nailsea, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 29, 2012

Just returned from a weekend break at this charming hotel . Very pleasant place to relax and unwind. All staff were very helpful and polite offering good service . Quality of our bedroom very acceptable with good shower etc , no bath , not a problem for us.Would recommend this hotel a break . Well positioned for seafront and walk to town centre.

Swansea County, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 29, 2011

This was probably our 6th or 7th short break at the Hotel within the last 10 years,. All the staff we encountered were as always pleasant and helpful. We were allocated a refurbished room with a balcony and superb view of Sidmouth and Lyme Bay.
The breakfasts were excellent as were the evening dinners, with super service at both meal times.
Our party of four couldn't find any negative aspects, other than that drinks were a little expensive, but you'd expect that at a hotel.
Our stay was at a special Winter DB&B rate, so all in all we thooughly enjoyed ouir time at The Westcliff.

Room Tip: You must have a sea view room. If you're not happy with the room ask the General Manager for a m...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank T3JHD
Ken C, General Manager at Sidmouth Harbour Hotel - The Westcliff, responded to this review, January 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel , i'm so pleased to read that we delivered the service and experience that we pride ourselves on at the Sidmouth Harbour Hotel. I'm delighted to hear that this is your 6th -7th visit and i look forward to welcoming you again in 2012 .
Australia
Reviewed December 13, 2011

Bad check in experience, upon arrival advised that my booking had been cancelled, took 20 minutes to sort it out and only after I produced documentation to prove that it hadn't been cancelled.
Hotel was situated in a nice location overlooking the sea and Sidmouth, only a ten minute walk to town. Room 33 was clean and tidy but, the beds, for goodness sake, do something about them, most uncomfortable, they were so soft and floppy they felt like water beds, get them fixed please. Bathroom was great and well appointed.
Breakfast, which was included in the price, was excellent with all the usual breakfast goodies on offer. Would I stay again? probably, but get your check in fixed and do something about the beds.

Room Tip: Room 33 overlooks Sidmouth and The Channel, make sure they have fixed the beds however.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank copperiw
Thank you for your review - we have taken all your points on board and will absolutely look into why this occurred on check in. I'm glad to read that you enjoyed our sea view location and that you would consider returning to our hotel again. With regards to the beds ,I'm sorry to hear that you found yours uncomfortable-this can often be down to personal preference. I would also like to advise that the room that you stayed in has undergone a complete refurbishment including repalcement of the bed. I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.