Its important to remember that the title of this place is Restaurant and Rooms. So the first reason you stay here is because you appreciate great quality food prepared locally and with enthusiasm. We had a 3 night break here over New Year with our young son. We found Andy and Annette highly accommodating from initial booking request right through our stay. The second reason you stay here is because you want to stay somewhere a little different, but with the luxury of a high class hotel. This is so much more than a guest house, and accordingly its a little bit more expensive, but you should expect that. We stayed in the Iris suite which had a separate living room area for a cot for our son. The bed was incredibly comfortable and decked with feather pillows and quilt. My only criticism of the bedroom was that perhaps the quirky style bed frame was a little too big for the room. Its an old place and rooms are quite small so every 10cm count. The bathroom was equipped with a jacuzzi as well as a shower. And the towels....the wonderful fluffy white towels which put most 5 star hotels to shame.
The owners are incredibly hard working, yet always had a smile and a little time to chat. They run an impeccable operation here. So much is home grown, home baked and locally sourced. They even have a smoker to produce the most delightful smoked salmon.
New Year dinner was a "degustacio" of 7 courses, nearly all with a wonderful wine pairing. All three chefs worked wonders for 40 or so guests, timing the meal up to seeing the new year in. It was a trip away I'll not forget in a long time.
I'm surprised at some of the negative comments here, but then if the contributors were looking for your average guest house or B&B, then they should have driven on past this place. Its very well presented on the Internet, it's quite clear what you should expect if you stay here, and as both my wife and I, and our travelling companions are all foodies of some description, we loved it, and would be happy to return again some time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 5 Star Restaurant with Rooms. 6 Ensuite bedrooms with two dining experiences, our main Restaurant and a Brasserie for great quality light bites. Private Car Park, free of charge ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your Salty Monk reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Salty Monk Hotel Sidmouth
- Salty Monk Sidmouth, Devon