Open today: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Review Highlights
50% incease in donkey adoption fees!

We adopted blind Teddy many years ago and after he died we adopted Zena. We did so for our... read more

Reviewed 2 days ago
Zedebee
Dorset, United Kingdom
Love, Love, Love the place

I often visit, even on birthdays, just love the place. Now the cafe has been replaced by a... read more

Reviewed 2 days ago
Maria N
Bridport, United Kingdom

2,875 results
All reviews free entry gift shop lovely donkeys building work lovely place free attraction love donkeys adopted donkey all ages hayloft restaurant poitou donkeys few hours lovely visit the barn walk around couple of hours cake
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I have been a supporter of the Donkey Sanctuary for many years, adopting up to five donkeys at a time. There are two sides to the donkey sanctuary - firstly, as its name suggests, it is a sanctuary for donkeys, but the other side is that some of the donkeys provide riding therapy for disabled children in a purpose built centre. The donkeys available for 'adoption' all work in these centres.

This was my first visit to the Donkey Sanctuary in Sidmouth, although as a supporter I was more than familiar with it. It lived up to all my expectations. It is in a beautiful setting, and we were there on a hot sunny day which just emphasised how beautiful a place it is. There is no admission charge, and there are good parking facilities on site. We walked around the paddocks, visited the Slade Centre (where the therapy rides take place), petted donkeys in the main yard and in the barn, and walked around the wider grounds, including the lovely woodland walk. The donkeys were all peacefully grazing in their paddocks, a picture of contentment. My husband and I were struck by how many trees had been planted around the sanctuary as memorials, and how obviously popular this place is with so many people.

My highlight of the day was seeing my adopted donkey, but also seeing two of my other donkeys who I have adopted over the years and are now retired from the scheme - an unexpected surprise, made even more special when one came over to say hello!

Last but not least I will mention the cafe. Very welcome on a hot day, but also reasonably priced and the cake was just fantastic.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

This is a lovely place where donkeys are treated with respect and affection. We visited this on a really hot day and we surprised at the good parking and clean facilities. There is a nice coffee shops which sells cold drinks. The sanctuary is a nice size for small children with a courtyard where they can stroke and pet donkeys. The donkeys are very child friendly and its a safe environment. It is a free attraction although you cannot help make a donation.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

we took our 2 kids here for the day not really sure what to expect, my sons loved interacting and stroking the donkeys, they were friendly and the place is lovely with great picnic areas to enjoy and as its only a donation its a great day out with the kids

Reviewed July 20, 2013

A super place to visit – quiet and peaceful. Lots of lovely donkeys who will come to you when they want a bit of fuss. Lots of walks around the donkey fields. The donkeys are free to wander at will in their own fields and around the yard. They are very well cared for and obviously much loved by the staff. Hand washing facilities all around the area and a very nice, reasonably priced restaurant A wonderful charity which cares for these beautiful, gentle (sometimes much abused) animals and gives them a permanent home for the rest of their lives.

Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

Where else can you visit for free in this country? A good cause so I hope most do leave a donation! Might not be the most exciting place if your not an animal lover or one of these people who turn up in a brain dead state and expect to just stand there And be entertained. Restraunt ok and not badly priced for a tourist attraction ESPECIALLY AS YOU HAVE NOT PAID TO GET IN YOU TIGHT @-!? As for the reviewer complaining about a lack of donkey rides, some ironic sad joker I do hope!