“A very nice place to eat”
Review of The Rendezvous

Ranked #54 of 79 Restaurants in Sidmouth
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Exeter, United Kingdom
“A very nice place to eat”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

A very pleasant place to eat. I cant understand some of the reviews, unless they had a bad hair day. Polit friendly and good honest food. We will certinly come back.

• Visited June 2013

“Not worth the money, at all!”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We have just eaten at this restraunt. We thought with main courses ranging from 10 to £17 that we would be getting a fairly reasonable meal, we happened to be mistaken. This restraunt is very amateur and the food is very bland. This is more of a cafe and the prices should be changed to reflect that. Positives....it looks like it's going to be a real nice experience from the exterior of the premises also the presentation of the food was very nice. Negatives, the moment you walk in the service is overlay relaxed. I am not one for over bearing service but this place is on another level. The food is ok but nothing really special. I know this is a start up business but whilst your learning the trade, you should be charging cheaper prices or giving it away. We have eaten in a lot of restraunts and this is a first for me complaining. I live here in sidmouth and have eaten in most if not all the restraunts and I expected this to be one of the better ones and it turned out it was shy of any of the others. The biggest insult was on the receipt that the service charge was not included, which takes the biscuit when I felt like I had been robbed in the first place and probably would of been quicker if I had popped to tescos bought the ingredients and went home and cooked it myself. I never complained in the restraunt because I had no intentions of complaining, I was intending to leave and never Brace you with my custom again but after reading how you argue back with your negative reviews I felt it was a must. My advice go back to your old jobs, or drastically lower your prices until you have found your feet, also if customers give you bad reviews ( obv not as harsh as this) then ignore it, or write back and tell them your sorry for them having a bad experience and tell them there comments have been taken on board. Your only blessing is sidmouth is gods waiting room and most of your customers are too old to use a computer otherwise this site would be filled with negative reviews.

7 Thank Livingthedream45
Stephen and Lyn C, Owner at The Rendezvous, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Having read your review we find it difficult to understand, as you have not gone in to detail with regards to what you ordered. You quoted the “food is very bland”, and then the next breath “the food is ok but nothing really special”.

We pride ourselves on freshly prepared, cooked meals for you and feel we offer competitive prices within Sidmouth. It has always been our policy to explain that our restaurant cooks fresh food and that there will have to wait. Of course our regulars will book a table and will enjoy a free bottle of wine whilst all this is happening and appreciate the fresh cooked food.

I never take kindly to people telling me how to run my business and I find some of your comments rather insulting, if you had a problem with your meal then you should have approached us in the restaurant before you left and we could have come to some agreement.

As for giving the food away or lowering our prices “from which planet did you come from”, as for our service charge we leave this to the customers generosity, the piece on the receipt is made available for card transactions.

As per your trip advisor username “dream on”

Wakefield, UK
“Great Food”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Visited with some trepidation, we read the reviews after booking a table. However we found the ambiance and the food excellent. The owners and we presume family members were attentive and very helpful. My wife requires Gluten free meals and this was checked into immediately and acceptable meals proposed. It was also explained to us that if we let them know on booking they would ensure more options were available.Ii had a starter of parma ham and goats cheese followed by duck my wife had the mushroom risotto all three were excellent. We fancied some cheese to round off the meal, this was found for us very quickly. Altogether an enjoyable evening.

• Visited June 2013
Stephen and Lyn C, Owner at The Rendezvous, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
To WakeyOwl93,

We are pleased that you enjoyed everything and it is nice to hear our efforts aren’t going un-noticed. We are also glad you decided to try us after reading the rubbish on here, like everyone should. We are a small dining establishment and where possible we can go out of our way to ensure we can provide you with a choice of meals regardless of your dietary requirements. In busy times you are best off booking in advance and then you may be entitled to our offer of a free bottle of house wine with your meal.

Received with great thanks and hope to see you again

Honiton, United Kingdom
“Must do better”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I have just read the other reviews on here and had to smile when I read the last one that made reference to 'Fawlty Towers' as when my friend and I left there after lunch last week, we both said lunch resembled an episode of Fawlty Towers! First impressions are good, the interior is very minimalistic, fresh and clean looking. There is where the positive's end. There were only two other people in the restaurant (Sidmouth was actually packed that day, as it was really warm) so I guess that should have alerted us! The interaction from whom I take to be the owner when he showed us to our table was not good, when I asked if he had Elderflower water he said yes, when asked if it was fizzy, he said he didn't know! We ordered a simple lunch, I had red pesto chargrilled chicken on bruschetta with salad, my friend the same but with minute steak and blue cheese, they were priced at £6.95 and £7.95 respectively which we thought was reasonable. We were told that there would be a 15 minute wait as all food is freshly cooked..... well yes, I would expect that, what I wouldn't expect is for a simple light lunch to take 15 minutes when the only thing to cook was 1. the chicken and 2. a minute steak (bit of clue in the name, it takes a minute to cook)! As there were only two other people in the restaurant and they were both already eating, I thought 15 minutes was ridiculous. However, by this point we were committed and were looking forward to lunch. Well 20 minutes later it appeared. My salad was small and as for the bruschetta (blink and you'd have missed it), it was literally half a small slice, covered with the chicken and the red pesto sauce that was just crying out for more bread. I expected the chicken to be a thick slice of chicken chargrilled (hence the need for a 20 minute wait, but no it was tiny cubes of chicken, that by any stretch of the imagination would only take 5 minutes to cook. My friends sauce was not pleasant far too much cheese and again she had only had half a slice of bread. When we asked for the bill and I got my debit card out to pay for my half of the bill (total bill £19.50) I was told that they didn't accept debit card payments for less than £20! In this day and age I find that astonishing, especially as this business is so obviously struggling. My friend only had a £10 note, I had no cash whatsoever (who carries cash now?) So I offered to pay the whole bill, but of course that was still 50p short of the required £20. There then ensued a 10 minute explanation by the owener as to why it was not his fault that he could only accept payments over £20, but the fault of the people who own the machine, and the fact that his machine couldn't recognise whether it was a credit card or debit card the customer was paying with (credit cards incur more charges for the retailer than debit cards) and therefore he would be charged the higher charge. Not being funny, we went in for lunch not to listen to this sort of talk when all I wanted to do was pay and go! My friend said that we would pay his charges so that we could pay by debit card. He then decided that he would let us pay by debit card! What a fiasco. We will not return, which is a shame because it could be a lovely lunch venue. I am assuming (and maybe wrongly) that this is this family's first venture into the hospitality trade, they really do need to change tack or I feel they are not going to last very long.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Jenny B
Stephen and Lyn C, Owner at The Rendezvous, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear Jenny,
Thanks for your negative review on the red pesto chicken and marinated Angus minute steak (butchers description of this steak). Up to now you are the only person to complain about these 2 choices as they are 2 of the more popular lunch meals. As a local lady, you should understand how a seaside town works but are clearly ignorant to it. On really nice days do you think people want to eat hot meals in a restaurant or sit on the beach with an ice cream? As for the struggling business, you have no idea about the financial circumstances and are completely wrong! So why comment on it. I quite understand food and service reviews but when it comes to the financial status that you know nothing about, then why put it?
To counter what you say, we have been very busy lately and as a start-up business, we are doing a lot better than others in this town. Most of our trade is in the evening during the summer, as would be expected near the beach. As for carrying cash, your friend was carrying cash so that answers that question! Also, the cash machine is 2 doors down!
We accept the fact that you don’t want to come in again and are fine with that! We have many regular customers now and we haven’t been here a great deal of time, so what does that tell you? The majority of people would say that they were not happy while still in the restaurant, so as we could amend it, but you decided that it is better to write on trip advisor to make us look bad. If u would like to try a minute steak cooked in 1 minute then by all means do that, but it will be tough as old boots. We slice it and marinade it so as we do not get these complaints and normally people would complain if there wasn’t enough cheese on it, not if there is too much, which there wasn’t any way!
Clearly just 1 awkward customer out of the hundreds and hundreds we have had in. it seems that the 3 complaints we have had since we re- opened in march are all to do with the card machine payments. Everyone I know carry’s cash and I think you will find a lot of places charge to use your card under a certain amount so instead of doing this, we put a minimum spend to £20 and then there is no charge for you. We could charge if that’s what you want, but we feel more people complain about a charge than a minimum spend.
Oh and let’s not forget they ate there meals and left clean plates. Confused.com?

The owners of The Rendezvous Sidmouth
Crowthorne, United Kingdom
“Nice and relaxing place”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Good food and staff that try hard to please. Not to noisy. The portions were a bit in the small side if you were only looking for the one course. More veg maybe?

Visited May 2013