“The Jewel in Sidmouths Crown”
Review of Inside Out - CLOSED

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Amazing really doesn't cut it when describing this gem of a restaurant. Having just returned from an early evening meal i can honestly say that i have not dined in such a lovely place for quite a while. We arrived to a warm welcome from the Owner who makes you feel special from the moment you step through the doors. The first thing that strikes you is the beautiful setting with low lighting, soft music and a sense of great things to come. Well we weren't dissappointed. The meals we ordered were top class and i honestly couldn't fault the presentation, taste or speed of service. Home cooking truly at its best. If you visit Sidmouth then walk past this place at your peril because you will have missed possibly the best place in Sidmouth to eat. The Owner really does have the midas touch when it comes to running a restaurant and should pat herself on the back for creating a top class, great value place to eat.
Well Done and i will see you all again on many occassions to come.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

This has got to be the best place to eat or even just have coffee, in Sidmouth. The atmosphere is lovely and I love being able to sit in the window and look down and "people watch" on the people below in the town.
The staff, and owner Jo, are great and their level of customer service is amazing - nothing seemed to much trouble to ask for , and she had a real care for the "local regulars" who we often saw in there.
We originally started off just going there for coffee when we visited sidmouth, but were so impressed we decided to try it for a meal - we were not disappointed. There are themed jazz and pizza evenings which you can go to if you want something other than a normal boring restaurant, and in the summer (although there wasn't much sun this year)the outside terrace is a lovely idea.
The food is all well cooked and well presented and portion sizes great - the cakes up there are lovely.
I think next time we are in Sidmouth we are hoping to try Jo's other shop - the "filling station" in the alley next door - it has a good reputation for lovely and slightly upmarket paninis, wraps etc as well as the good old cornish pasty.

Keep up the brilliant work jo!

1  Thank david g
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We have been visiting Sidmouth for years for a day trip. Quite often we have stopped in this restaurant for a snack and have thought it was acceptable and a pleasant environment. We alwsy wanted to stay over for the Folk festival and last week we did. Everywhere was busy and it was hard to find a place to eat. On spec we called into this restaurant and as luck would have it a table became available straight away.

The menu was limited as we were told it was a pizza night..no problem.....love a good pizza. Ordered a nice bottle of NZ white and we both ordered a pizza.

What came out to the table was a disgrace, we have never tased such tough pizza dough. Niether of us could cut through it and mine was burnt underneath. We both left most of the pizza as our jaws were suffering trying to chew it. Looking around the restaurant we could see most people were leaving most of their pizzas on the plate again. I don't know whether the cook thye had in the night could not cope with the constant orders on a busy night or they just didnt have a clue on how to make pizza dough......either way this was a very poor performance and this place is scratched form our list for future visits. My advice.....avoid pizza nights!!

1  Thank 54BJC
Jo H, Owner at Inside Out, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

As you say, it was very busy .. the Folk Festival being our busiest time of the year, but I don’t see that as being an excuse for delivering poor quality of food, and we work extremely hard to make sure that this doesn’t happen.
The cook we had in that night’ was me .. I prepare all the food at Inside Out, as I have done since we opened ..
.. but, I would suggest that it would be hard to find a restaurant anywhere that has never had anything go wrong. Of the thousands of meals I have prepared since we took over this restaurant in December, you could count the problems we’ve had on one hand .. and I’ve been given the opportunity to sort each of them personally.
It’s a shame that whist you could spend the time to write this very negative review, you couldn’t have mentioned anything to me or my staff at the time, and given us a chance to put things right.
And let me take this as an opportunity to thank all our customers for visiting us at Inside Out .. one unhappy customer is one more than we want, and rest assured that our aim great service and great value.
Jo Hicks - Owner

Reviewed July 29, 2012

We had not been to this restaurant since it changed hands. I booked by phone and was met with a really friendly and accommodating voice. I booked my table for 4 and was asked if I would like to sit outside if it was sunny, which was really nice to be offered, however, the lady reserved a table for me inside anyway. The food was beautifully presented, extremely reasonably priced and delicious. I had a Nicoise salad with freshTuna which is the best one I have ever had. It was a beautiful fresh tuna steak which was really cooked well and very tender. My pudding was also delicious, Pavola with loads of clotted cream on top and fresh strawberries. We all had a very enjoyable meal listening to mellow music in the lovely clean and bright restaurant with friendly, helpful and enthusiastic staff. After visiting the Hix restaurant last week in Lyme Regis (which is extremely expensive) it knocked spots of it. Well done everyone - we shall be back!

Reviewed July 14, 2012

We visited for afternoon tea/cake type menu with our 3 year old granddaughter. The staff were very friendly and welcoming. I opted for the fruit crumble with custard which was excellent washed down with iced coffee. Owner Jo ? even entertained our granddaughter by helping her blow bubbles off the roof terrace. Will return with more grandchildren when in Sidmouth next month.