“Best Steak Ever”

Ranked #29 of 81 Restaurants in Sidmouth
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 10, 2012

As I always do when visiting this village pub, I chose the rump steak with port and stilton sauce. On this latest visit, as ever, it was delicious. It came with a choice of potatoe (I chose chips) and a choice of either salad or vegetables. My partner chose the salad which he said had a good selection of leaves, tomatoes, etc. He said that the dressing was particularly good. I had vegetables, which were carrots, beans, and leeks in a cheese sauce. Again they were excellent.For a small village pub, the food here is always fantastic. Somehow though it manages to retain the atmosphere of a village pub.

1  Thank JAMIE020

Reviewed August 18, 2012

My partner and I ate here recently. We had tried to book a table mid-week but it was full. A good sign. We re-booked for the following Friday and found the place packed. I had fish soup to start, which was delicious and had a cajan style seasoning, my partner had smoked duck salad. There is both menu and specials board. I had the lemon sole (which was whole) but the waitress offered to ask the chef to fillet it if I preferred. My partner had the vegetarian lasangna. Both came with good sized salads, new potatoes with the fish, and chips with the pasta. Despite being very busy there was no delay. The service was very attentive and the owners - land lady behind the bar and her husband in the restaurant - were on hand. The French husband is a real fun character. With wine the bill came to £62.00.

1  Thank DiningDuoLondon
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We found the Golden Lion towards the end of our holiday at nearby Cuckoo Down Farm, and wish we had found it earlier. From the moment we walked in the service could not be faulted, we felt like we were eating at a friends house, so welcoming and warm was the reception we got. Francois, his wife Michelle and their staff were so welcoming and attentive, Francois kept coming over and checking we were OK and was charming with our 4 year old. The Food was beautiful, really fresh, home made and delicious, both my husband and I had fish dishes which were outstanding and so fresh. We will definitely be back !!! Thanks Francoise and Michelle X.
Shally, Mark and Milo X

1  Thank ShallyWirral
Reviewed July 23, 2012

My husband and I visited this restaurant on a Friday evening whilst staying nearby. We found it to be lively and friendly and the food delicious. It had a great atmosphere, full of locals who all seemed to know each other. Despite not having made a reservation in advance the owner made space for us and was attentive at all times.
The service was prompt and the portions generous - I had crevettes and Chicken Basque and my husband fried Brie and Crab Salad. It was all of an excellent standard and delicious. I would highly recommend.

1  Thank Ethelsmama
Reviewed May 27, 2012

My fiance and I have been to this pub a few times over the last year. On previous visits we have enjoyed friendly staff, a warm atmosphere and good quality food. However, our latest visit will indeed be our last. I don't know if the pub has changed hands recently but the food really let the evening down. We had rump steak which cost £15 a piece; we had a fatty, over-cooked piece of beef with a pathetically sized portion of french fries that had clearly come out of the freezer. With that we were served with a tiny dish of over-cooked vegetables and were expected to share a small stringy salad that was swamped in dressing. Even the chutney that was included in the starter was tasteless and had clearly come out of a jar. The price of the food seemed expensive for the quality and the quantity of the dishes that we received. To top it off there was dog faeces in plain view in the beer garden. We won't be going back.

1  Thank durston420