“Best hotel experience ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Riviera

and 1 more site!
Hotel Riviera
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Sidmouth
Seaford, United Kingdom
“Best hotel experience ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

Having stayed in numerous types of Hotel in the UK over many years, the friendly welcome and help we received from the staff at the Riviera Hotel was exceptional. From the first phone call to book and subsequent emails about our special requirements all were dealt with promptly & efficiently. On arrival we were greeted by the porter who took our car, parked it in the designated garage & brought up all our luggage to our delightfut first floor suite. At all times the staff were pleasant & helpful. We enjoyed the delicious food and good service. The comfortable lounge had good seating in a tastefully decorated room. The whole hotel showed that it was run by dedicated owners for whom nothing was too much trouble to ensure guests comfort
A big thank you to the Riviera from an elderly couple!

Room Tip: First floor suite is delightful
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank June S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
wiltshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

Extractor fans left on for hours. Noise and tv from room above.We work hard and decided to treat ourselves to a 3 night 4 star luxury break. We had virtually no sleep and for the first time
ever we complained in a hotel. The owner is in complete denial that anything could be wrong.
He asked us to give him 2 weeks to investigate. We have heard nothing nor do we expect to.We have stayed in many hotels and accept that no hotel is going to be like home and you make allowances, but excessive noise at night and every night is unacceptable.This room no 202 otherwise known as the Knowle Suite was £420 a night and for that sort of money you should be able to sleep.

Room Tip: Don't choose room 202 unless you are deaf
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
72 Thank sueandandrew
Hotelrivieraltd, Owner at Hotel Riviera, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Sir and Madam

On being informed of your complaint I made an appointment with you and visited your room on the morning of 27th May, the second day of your stay. Both you and your wife were present at this meeting and you explained to me that your wife had been kept awake by a fan in the room next door. At our meeting you accepted that the noise was not apparant in the room on the morning of our meeting. I activated the fan in the room next door which is timed to run for ten minutes and still the noise could not be heard in your room.
As a precautionary measure I turned the fan off in the room next door and I personally checked all the bathroom fans in the vicinity of your room. As all of our rooms have been recently refurbished I was able to report to you that I was unable to identify any fault which related to your complaint.
On the day of your departure you complained to my receptionist that although the fan next door had been turned off your wife could still hear a noise. I am also mindful that you had previously confirmed to me that you were slightly hard of hearing and therefore did not hear the noise yourself. I telephoned you on the evening of Wednesday 29th May and explained that I would monitor the situation and would telephone you in approximately two weeks to discuss my findings. The purpose of this was to allow me time to talk to each guest who occupied your room following your departure in an attempt to verify your complaint.
I have spoken personally to Mr Spackman, Mr Goodwin and Mr Gillespie all guests who have occupied Room 202 with their wives since your departure and I am pleased to confirm that none of these guests have heard any fan like noise in the room.
The above guests are prepared to supply written evidence to support my statement.
I will continue to monitor this room in the weeks ahead but feel that it is most unlikely that I will be able to give you a satisfactory explanation.
In view of this I would ask you to retract this review as I do not consider the content to be entirely correct.
I am sorry that you feel I have disappointed you.

Yours sincerely

Peter S Wharton
Managing Director
Dorset, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

Stayed here with my sister who is in a wheelchair for 4 days in May. Very helpful staff all round but particularly Michael, on Reception, who on his way home, collected the wheelchair 'feet' that we'd left at a pub 10 miles away! I was surprised by the quality of the food. We were booked in for half board and ate from the set menu each evening. Good use of seasonal ingredients, perfectly cooked dishes and great puddings! Bedrooms very comfortable. I didn't give it the full five stars as the downstairs décor was not to my liking but this wouldn't put me off making a return visit fairly soon. The staff are a credit to the hotel's owner.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Cricketmad52
Leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

Just had one of the best hotel Sunday lunches I can remember here at the Riviera. We were the only diners in the restaurant - the terrace was doing a roaring trade. The meal was excellent quality ingredients well prepared and beautifully served. Can't fault it. The Kiwi barman even made me a lemon, lime and bitters to accompany lunch.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank GibPLeeds
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

Stayed here for four days over the bank holiday. I cannot fault anything with this hotel. Service is impeccable in all areas and the food out of this world. Breakfast was vast, afternoon tea was lovely and dinner each night was excellent. We had two sea view rooms which were spacious and offered all the things wou would expect. Housekeeping was top notch. The bar was spacious and offered all that you would wish for. Can wait to go back!

Room Tip: If you can, go for a sea view room - worth it
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank bigbloke
Tewkesbury
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

Been using this place for years. Best food in Sidmouth without any doubt. Called in on May bank holiday Sunday it was busy but our 5 bar meals were brilliant. Well done on achieving consistent high standards and for having the cleanest loos ever

• Stayed May 2013
5 Thank foodlover079
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Almost by accident we ended up driving through Sidmouth on the way back from the Scarlett in Newquay and fell upon this gem of a hotel. One look at the lunch menu was enough to convince us that we had to eat here. We had missed the usual lunch hours (12-2pm) and so had to dine in the bar area, which was nice and quiet.

We perused the menu while other couples enjoyed their afternoon tea and cakes which, looked like an experience in itself, I can see why this hotel is well regarded for that.

The hotel itself is styled in a classic sense and is well appointed, the view from the hotel is also nice and the general feel of the hotel gives you a warm sense of occasion.

The food we chose was the lambs liver and the crab salad with a sorbet dessert. We were so impressed by the quality of the food, the friendly service and the hotel itself that we will be booking up to come back and stay at the hotel as I need to try their lobster.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple