“Lovely luncheon - old fashioned faultless service”
Review of Hotel Riviera

and 1 more site!
Hotel Riviera
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Sidmouth
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I am writing to express how lovely I found my visit to the Hotel Riviera on Friday 31th August.
My husband and I who live in Exeter had taken his Nannie out for a day trip.
We had wonderful service from start to finish. Laurent was serving us outside and he was very attentive, friendly and a gentleman. Lunch was delicious; my husband loves the local crab sandwiches! Hilary who was also lovely was clearing our table and I was trying to put my cardigan on as is was a bit breezy; she helped me find my arms in my cardigan, such a sweet thing to do. Later I needed to escort my husband's Nannie who is quite unstable on her feet to the ladies room and the staff inside were very helpful regarding the lift as the disabled wc was on the 1st floor.
Such a wonderful lunch together and I felt so spoilt by the service; it will be our preferred place to dine when we return I'm sure.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank louburgess
There are newer reviews for Hotel Riviera

Reviewed September 13, 2012

We had a short last minute break here recently and came home so refreshed we felt like we had been away weeks not days. The hotel was very clean and well furnished, the staff so helpful and the food perfect. The location right on the sea front and so close to town is ideal if like us you want to leave the car in the garage for a few days, the garage is an optional extra but well worth it. The restaurant was a treat as well serving up the most delicious food. We had a sea view room that was very spacious.

Room Tip: A sea view room is a must here
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BeverleyandDerek
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We sat down a a tableon the terrace at 1pm for a light lunch and drinks. A waitress took our order at 1.15. The drinks and cutlery arrived shortly afterwards.

Itr was not until 2.15 that the food arrived despite visits to the maitre'd and reception complaining.

No one seems to be responsible for the service at our table.

The excuse given was that the hotel was very busy. Not true!, for the bar was empty, only one table in the lounge was occupied. Most of the tables on the terrace had couples, and we noticed the table next to ours who came after us received their food in good time.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
46  Thank Muscat35
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We visited Sidmouth in glorious warm sunshine. Hotel is situated on the sea-front and painted white. Morning tea was offered, so we took our seats. So clean and well tended. Tea for two came with China cups and saucers and silver tea-pots. Lovely! Inside the hotel the loos were great and staff were on hand to direct you. Bit old fashioned but who cares! Nice start to the morning and we loved Sidmouth, despite the seagull pinching Chris's fresh crab sandwich later in the town!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ShabbyChicStaffs
Reviewed May 25, 2012

Brilliant for taking the old folks away for a few days. A lift to the rooms, a walk in shower. Flat even surfaces from room to room downstairs. Comfy beds. Colour flatscreen TV. Room service. Park your car for you after being able to drop the folks off at the hotel door. Stunning sea views. Flat walk to the town, which is very close by. They will even arrange for your electric buggy to be charged up in the lobby at night. Charming staff, who cannot do enough for you. The food is amazing and deliious. A jewel in the crown for Sidmouth. I look forward to my stay every year. It just gets better every time. Well done.

Room Tip: Obviously the best are the front ones with excellent sea views. Quiet at night as not a busy road.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank eggybreadUk
Reviewed May 24, 2012

For over ten years we stayed at the Riviera every May when visiting the Donkey Sanctuary just outside Sidmouth.We had not been back for some nine years or so, so, when we decided to make a return visit this year, we were a little concerned that the welcoming hotel of our memories would no longer exist. We need not have worried. From the instant of our arrival it was like being back home. The same calm, soothing but extremely efficient atmosphere pervaded,several of the same staff who had made our previous visits so pleasant were still around to greet us. The food was as good (and plentiful!) as we remembered. Our room was comfortable, spotlessly clean and beautifully decorated (and a word of advice here - if you want the full Riviera experience, you must choose a room with a wonderful view across the Esplanade to the wide open sea beyond. It is so relaxing to go to sleep to the sound of the waves crashing against the rocks).It is true that you do not stay at the Riviera if you are looking for a riotous time. No doubt there are other hotels in the vicinity that cater for those wanting to party half the night. But if, like us, you just want a welcoming haven to return to at the end of an energetic day exploring the beautiful Devon countryside then you could do no better than to stay at this lovely old hotel. My relaxing week of luxury is sadly over but I hope it will not be another nine years before we return to our second home, the Hotel Riviera at Sidmouth.

Room Tip: Always opt for a room with a seaview.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Terri M
Reviewed May 13, 2012

Eight of us were on a walking weekend staying at The Old Bakehouse at Colyton (highly recommended). On one of the days we did a circular walk to Sidmouth. We stopped at the Hotel Riviera for a morning coffee. One of my friends and I had an Americano (black coffee) and when it came we were disappointed at the size of the cup - it was very small. We were even more disappointed when we got the bill £7.00 for the 2 coffees. It was nice coffee but 2 sips and it was gone. What a rip off!! Another friend had decaffeinaited coffee and she was given a pot of coffee so she had nearly 3 cups of coffee which only cost her £3.95. I can't understand why she was given a pot of coffee and we weren't but one this for certain we will never stop there for coffee again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends