“Superb lap of luxury with breath taking views”
Review of Victoria Hotel

Victoria Hotel
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Sidmouth
GreenLeadersBronze level
London, United Kingdom
“Superb lap of luxury with breath taking views”
Reviewed August 31, 2010

My partner and I stayed at the Victoria for 2 nights and we both thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The room was lovely and kept very clean. The hotel itself was absolutely lovely it is set in a beautiful location overlooking the sea of sidmouth, and the decor was superb with a sumptous dining room and elegantly decorated observation lounge.

The staff gave good quality service and were attentive as well as friendly, as expected of a four star they asked if we wanted our luggage to be taken to our room, they also showed an interest in us by striking conversation which was nice.

The food was also superb one of the evening meals for which I chose the pork belly was utterly devine and the best food I have ever tasted, and my partner and I are used to eating in some very expensive restaurants so I would say I am a good judge when it comes to food. The wine was also delicious we went for devons own sharpham estate which was luscious and well worth the money. We also indulged ourself one day and had a Victoria cream tea which was scrumptious and definetly filling.

There is plenty to do in the hotel such as free pitch and putt, free snooker, or a free relax in the spa which had a nice size swimming pool and some lovely heated chairs which were so relaxing. There was also lovelymusic on the saturday by a lovely old band playing some tasteful tunes, which was really pleasant, and we couldnt hear the music from our room so that was really good.

My only complaint would if anything that on the morning of check out my bacon for breakfast tasted over salted a little, but apart from that the whole stay was just perfect bliss. If you can afford it as it is at the higher end of the hotel market it would definetly be worth a stay. My partner and I definetly intend to revisit the Victoria.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
London
Reviewed August 26, 2010

There were minor things about the hotel I could criticise but I would rather share those thoughts with the hotel than here because the overall experience is something quite special.

Clearly a lot of thought goes into every activity here to provide a gentle English holiday that's traditional and in good taste. The cuisine is a little fussy for my liking but I loved all the meals which are beautifully presented and served. Nothing seems any
trouble and the staff were responsive and attentive, both day and night.

Sidmouth is a delight and its setting sublime, restoring your faith in the
British seaside resort. And combined with this charming and cheering hotel,
where you can unwind in comfort - whatever the season, whatever the
weather.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 6, 2010

Stayed here for 2 nights with partner on route to Cornwall. Check in was fast and efficient. Booked a seaview room through Laterooms.com as much cheaper rates than hotels own website. Room was bright and spacious and looked towards the sea, comfortable bed, quiet. Breakfast was good, hot dishes waiter served, although I must admit I would have preferred a buffet, it was a little too pretentious for my liking, they even got the order wrong on the first day. I personally prefer the more contiental ham and cheeses style breakfast which was only available in a very minimal form, but hay we are in England and this is a very typical traditional old english hotel. I really don't have anything bad to say about this hotel, and it is good, but there is nothing particularly outstanding about it either, a little overpriced for the location I feel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Cheshire
Reviewed July 26, 2010

I took my husband here for a traditional afternoon tea on his birthday and it was absolutely lovely. Served beautifully in the delightful lounge with a stunning view over Sidmouth. The staff were helpful and pleasant and it certainly made us plan to go back to try it for an evening dinner.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cheshireangel
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 24, 2010

What has happened at the Victoria Hotel! I stayed there about 5+ years ago and things have gone down hill since then. My Husband booked the weekend break as a celebration. when we arrived on a Saturday in late June we were greeted by a doorman (just as grumpy as 5 years ago).
Everything was just OK in respect of the rooms they had been refurbished since our last stay, however in terms of hygiene they were quite filthy along the skirting boards, under the bed, marks on the sheets, marks on the bathroom mirror.
Lounge area and bar were neat and tidy there was a friendly waiter that brought us an afternoon tea and a pleasant young man in the bar looks quite like a younger version of an older bar manager.
Restaurant was busy and tables were too close together as my husband was talking to myself about the rudeness of the manager the table next to us were agreeing! The head waiter was less than helpful and quite insulting when my husband asked if we could have a window table for our second night. We asked because we were too close to the band and the kitchen (lots of shouting and swearing were ruining the atmosphere). he replied that the window tables were taken and were for people in the better rooms. then the best part of it was that he held out his hand as though my husband would give him a gratuity. The food was of an acceptable level but far from being special.
As we had coffee in the lounge looking up the staircase we could hear the waiters at the desk by the grandfather clock, discussing the hotel manager telling one of them off,
there were a few choice words then another manager(silvering hair) came in and instead of telling them off carried on with a few choice words of his own. We finnished our coffee and went to bed.
A fairly average night, bit of noise from the corridors. After breakfast we left the hotel and went to Exeter for the day.
On Sunday night service and food was pretty much the same, we didnt tip the Maitre D' so we didnt get a window seat.
Thank-you for a very unforgetable stay at the Victoria hotel, my advice to anybody thinking of staying here would be to experience any other hotel in sidmouth. They would all have to be miles better than the Victoria!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank juliaST-Bournemouth
uk
Reviewed July 23, 2010

We've stayed in the 'poor relations' Brend hotels and found them excellent; their attention to detail and customer service makes them so. The Victoria however is on another level. Imagine someone doing you a last minute deal on the most luxurious room before the school hols begin. Imagine waking up to find that someone has dead headed the flowers in the tub on your patio! Imagine being asked if the water in the pool is ok when only you are in it. Imagine being asked if you want to be walked to your room because it is raining, and finding fresh flowers in the room. Anyway you get the idea. Yes the place is full of the older generation, but it simply doesnt matter. They are much more polite than the rest of us, and like your young children. The food is perhaps a little traditional and certainly rather over priced in some respects, but there are other options if you ask. They are more than willing to assist.

My children loved the Victoria and we will be going back.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Somerset
Reviewed July 18, 2010

Generaly a hotel for the retired, very expensive, but you get what you pay for.
Lovely views, indoor & outdoor pool, mini games room, sauna, spa bath, relaxation room in the health spa, putting green and more.
Best value is to book direct with hotel and get a dinner. B&B rate. Dinner each night is about £40 pp, so if your eating in the hotel get an all inclusive rate.
Nice rooms, first class service, lovely food, men are required to wear a shirt, tie and jacket (suit) in the restaurant. We liked this hotel even though we are in our thirties and the average age of the guests was around 60-70, who cares, nice and peaceful. Would definatly return if we good haggle a good deal.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple