“A model for the service industry!”
Review of Victoria Hotel

Victoria Hotel
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Sidmouth
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I stayed one night here and was extremely impressed by the attention to detail and helpful staff who were always polite and ready to do what they could to make your stay comfortable. In many hotels they seem to have forgotten how important well trained staff can be to the smooth running of a successful hotel, but not at the Victoria Hotel. Maybe because this is a family run business and they have years of experience.
The food was excellent with ample choice. The restaurant service was quick and efficient and the pianist playing music was very nostalgic. Some might say it was old fashioned, but old fashioned values are good when brought up to date. Free WiFi throughout the hotel shows they are not behind the times, many hotels charge a lot for this. I would definitely recommend this hotel even if the price tag is rather steep you get value for money.

Room Tip: I had a single room which was excellent.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,026)

Reviewed September 16, 2013

We first visited here 50 years ago, we lived fairly locally and this was always the place of choice to come to celebrate, my husband's 21st, our engagement and many other times. Thank heavens they haven't gone down the route of out with the old and in with the new, apart from modern technology that can sit aside the old charm of the place. The courtesy is still there, I think the commissionaire, in his wonderful uniform, was probably a young lad the last time we visited ! We had lunch in the Jubilee restaurant, looking over a rather gloomy, drizzly and misty landscape, but the food was delicious, it was so nice to remember old times, and the fun we had at the dinner dances, which I see are still held... may have to return just for one of those ! Thank you for being just the same, we hope to return.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

A really lovely hotel with friendly staff in a wonderful location . The room we had was spotlessly clean with a great view of the sea front. We didn't ave dinner there but the breakfast was delicious and very nicely presented . I really recommend this hotel

Room Tip: Pay a bit extra for a seaview
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Booked for lunch on a Monday no one else in restaurant wished they had suggested for us to eat in lounge area seemed to be more atmosphere. Except there was a man wall papering could this not have been done through the night maybe ? A little disappointing and had driven 3 hours to get there.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank McGlashon
BrendHotels, Area Director at Victoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that on the occasion of your visit, we failed to come up to your expectations with regards to the work being carried out in the lounge. This work is usually done out of hours, unfortunately on this occasion it was an emergency and I apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Thank you again for your reply and I hope that one day you may choose to try The Victoria Hotel again for a more enjoyable visit.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

We visited the Victoria Hotel last week for a celebratory family lunch in the bar - great service and lovely food, particularly the gorgeous Omelette Arnold Bennett! This is such a lovely place for lunch with its fabulous views and great attention to detail.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

I stayed here en-route to visit my brother in North Devon. It was more of a "stopover" trip rather than a holiday which I am quite disappointed about.
From the moment I was welcomed to the hotel by the GM - Mr Beauchamp, until the moment I left, I experienced the best in hospitality service that the industry provides.
I was staying for one night with my 6 month old and upon arrival in my room there was a lovely travel cot all ready to go, fruit, chocolates and flowers (as per the website for my room category). I ordered room service and wine from the list and both arrived very quickly and as described. Whilst the room was not the biggest for it's price, it was very comfortable and completely met my needs.
Breakfast was just delicious with a nice buffet style cold spread and then a good choice for hot cooked items.
All the staff made me and my 6 month old daughter feel very welcome and comfortable - I will be back to stay for longer so I can explore more that Sidmouth has to offer.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

Victorian Hotel with good location and sea views from some rooms. Friendly and helpful staff. Small room for the £200+ price tag - not good value for money although good outdoor swimming pool great on warm sunny days.

Jacket and Tie requirement for dinner does appeal to the over eighties clientele but less popular for those younger visitors who prefer smart casual when on holiday.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple