“The very best.”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“The very best.”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We need to say very little about this very special hotel. Having booked at the very last moment we were delighted from start to finish with every aspect of this hotel. The receptionist (Heather) greeted us with a smile and from then on nothing was too much trouble, therefore we are looking forward to our next stay here very soon. Thank you to the Victoria and all its staff.

Room Tip: we would think that every room is of the highest standard.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
Leatherhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We spent two nights at the Victoria to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Our superior sea view room was of a very high standard and was extremely comfortable. Staff were helpful, polite and attentive throughout. We dined in on the first night but felt that the food was not of a particularly high standard for what we paid. Dinner was £150+ for two including a bottle of house bubbles and a cheap-ish bottle of red wine. As a result we chose to eat out on the second night (but beware the shortage of restaurants in Sidmouth) choosing a Chinese as the best of a fairly unimpressive selection of eateries. Breakfast at £18 per head was of good quality but seemed expensive for what it was. Overall the two nights cost over £750 including one dinner and two breakfasts. Not particularly good value for money perhaps but the de luxe nature of the hotel comes at a premium. We're unlikely to return to the Victoria but we are pleased that we were able to experience such a comfortable venue for our anniversary.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Tony W
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Our first visit to the Victoria will be one of many i hope .A very wide range of activities were on offer for our two children who had a great time.The staff were very friendly,food excellent with a varied choice .The rooms were off a high standard with good sea views everything you could ask for.It made our summer holiday exceptional

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank andy64stuart
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2013

The hotel is in an excellent position with great amenities - 2 swimming pools, pitch and put etc. The room we stayed in had a good sea view but was very small and certainly not worth anywhere near the £220 a night we paid. For that price, I would expect something 'special'. My biggest gripe was that the room was being set up for the next guests when we got back from breakfast before we had even checked out which I found appalling. I reported this to reception as we checked out and we received an apology and were told that this is not standard policy. Unfortunately it tarnished my experience and made me feel that I was on a conveyor belt. Breakfast was good and the staff were helpful and friendly.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Helen T
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Booked the delux double with sea view. Clean, spacious and excellently located, but the double was a poorly coupled twin; the shower and bath was very average; and the sea view was not visible from the low lounge type chairs by the window. The wi-fi didn't work either. We very politely mentioned that we were a bit disappointed with the room but were told that nothing could be done that the message would be passed on to the manager. No response ever came and when we checked out, we weren't asked if everything was okay with our stay, because they knew the answer. The grandeur of the hotel was small compensation for an overpriced room, missing facilities, uncaring staff and thoughtless furniture layout that hampered the sea view.

• Stayed July 2013
7 Thank fishwish1
derby
Reviewed July 22, 2013

The whole experience was first rate. The staff were excellent in every department-I am in retail and I know when I am receiving good service. The hotel has charm,period charm. It's rather like going back to the 1950's,everyone(guests and staff)are so polite to one another. The dining room is an event in its own right. The tables are beautifully set with linen cloths and knapkins,good quality old cutlery and glasses polished within an inch of their lives.The food was excellent. You may have gathered I would commend you to The Victoria!

Room Tip: Do opt for a sea view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank timboDerby
BrendHotels, Area Director at Victoria Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thank you for your review of the Victoria Hotel after your recent stay with us and for all of your kind comments, they are very much appreciated. It was most pleasing to read that as a first time visitor to our hotel you found the ambience, dining experience, service and staff up to your high standards.

It is most reassuring to read that you appreciated what we are aiming to achieve and that we made your first visit to us an especially enjoyable one.

Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Victoria in the future.
Gloucestershire
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Decided to treat my mum, daughter and myself to a girlie weekend (see it was not what you were thinking!!). Thought we would push the boat out as we don't get to go away that often so I booked a poolside apartment. On arrival the reception staff were friendly and helpful and showed us to the apartment.

The apartment was clean and very nice at first glance and we congratulated ourselves on our good choice ...and headed straight to the beach to enjoy the fantastic weather. Got back in the evening, tired and ready for bed.

It was at this point the shine started to fade. Firstly the TV did not work. Tried to contact reception but the phone did not work. Had to use my mobile and dial the hotel as an outside caller. The response was prompt and a nice man was duly dispatched. He could not get it to work!! Finally, after much hassle, the TV was working but by now all the children's TV channels had finished and so I asked if there was a DVD player. Response was "No sorry - but I could ask if you can have one". My thought at this point was for £300 + per night I would not expect to have to ask for a DVD player!!. A DVD player was located and bought to the room. By now an hour had passed and I'd given up and put a grumpy daughter to bed.

Finally my mum and I settled down to watch the TV. In time we decided to turn in for the night. My mum bravely offered to take the Z bed. Brave being the right word. It was dreadful. Felt awful asking my mum to sleep on such a dreadful bed - even our sofa bed at home is better quality (all the time I was thinking I paid £300 per night for this!!).

Slopped off to my "comfortable bed" only to realize that the bed was like rock. I know a firm bed is supposed to be good for you - but at one point in the night I seriously gave consideration to sleeping on the floor as I thought it might have more "give" in it. Next morning my mum and I were both comparing aches and pains and lack of sleep. We endured two night of this. Whilst the holiday itself was brilliant, mainly because of the weather, sleep deprivation was considerable.

Other grips (and I may as well get it off my chest) included a very slow draining sink in the bathroom, a toaster that was not fit for purpose (it did not toast both sides) and the outdoor swimming pool full of dead midges!! My five year old jumped in and was swooshing around. I asked why she was doing this and she said "so I can swim without flies". Eeek. A couple of other early morning swimmer arrived and were hunting around for a net ...but gave up.

Now if this had been a 3 star hotel at £80/90 a night I'd have not whinge as much in this review - but it is NOT. They are charging a premium and it is quite frankly NOT worth it. The final moan - I ordered a pint of bitter shandy at the pool side bar. I was told they'd have to fetch it from the main hotel bar - so I waited politely for my drink. The charge - £4.50!!!!

In summary - Sidmouth is lovely, the communal areas of the hotel are very nice, the position is fantastic ...BUT and it is a big BUT ...the beds are like concrete and if you value a good nights sleep look elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family