“Fantabitoesee”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Stevenage, United Kingdom
“Fantabitoesee”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

This must be one of the best hotels I have stayed in this year. I have ten to visit this year and The Victoria is without doubt the best. It stylish and well laid out. It has plenty for the residents to do and the staff were very warm and friendly. It was only a one night stay. I should have moved from my previous eight nights at the Holiday Inn. The room and bathroom were well laid out much to my liking. The parking of my car which is one of my main bullet points left a little to be desired. Being left on the driveway I wasn't that happy with. Apart from that the breakfast and service was top notch and I will be taking the wife for a week at the Carlyon Bay Hotel in St Austell

Room Tip: Only a one night stay and our room at the left hand side of the hotel as you face it was okay withou...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
BrendHotels, Area Director at Victoria Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you for your review of The Victoria Hotel after your recent stay with us, and for all of your positive comments, they are very much appreciated. It was most gratifying to read that you were happy with your room and enjoyed your dining experience with us. It is always rewarding for all the staff to read these comments.

Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Victoria in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Having had a stressful couple of weeks I wanted a hotel that I could enjoy myself in beautiful surroundings. Enjoy fantastic food where the service from friendly & efficient staff would be available. I certainly found all of these things & more. My rooms were fantastic & enabled me to be able to catch up on some writing. The working Falconry display here on the front entrance lawns were an added bonus. Thank you to you all for a wonderful weekend. I'm ready for all the world throws at me now!!!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Dawlishswan
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Faultless service,faultless food and excellent accommodation. What's more the hotel has an outstanding view and only 2 minutes from the seafront. The hotel gardens looked lovely although we went in February so it was a little cold to appreciate them fully.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Maynooth, Ireland
Reviewed May 28, 2013

TheHotel was lovely and the food was fab, but there noisey floorboards above our suite was unbearable, we retired to bed approx 11ish and was woken up at 11.20 from the noise above us. Then at 7am the noise started again it was so annoying as we had come away for a two day break and to have a lie in with our girls..... but to top it all when were leaving yesterday we were emptying the wardrobe only to find a filthy underwear on the top shelf in the wardrobe. We were compenstated with £150 off the bill.... but never again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Devizes, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We have just celebrated our anniversary at this hotel. It is very grand and old fashoned. As a couple we enjoyed the hotel at a quiet time, which suited us greatly. The room furnishing are to a hgh standard, and everywhere is designed for comfort. The staff are very friendly and helpful, which greatly adds to the atmosphere. There was even a fan in the room if you should require it. The room was tidied and the bed turned down every evening.

Only problem was the hot tub was only warm. Although I mentioned this on the first day it was still too cold to be of any benefit as a hot tub on the second day, which was a disappointment but did not ruin the bank holiday break.

Room Tip: A sea view makes all thedifference-
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Louise E
Northumberland
Reviewed May 26, 2013

This hotel is one of old-fashioned charm, elegance and quality. The staff were consistently friendly, helpful and pleasant, always willing to help but not 'in your face'.

My room (single) was very well presented with plenty of extra comforts to make the stay enjoyable. My only small gripe was a draught coming under the main door, which I could imagine would be unpleasant and unwelcome in the winter. I personally would have preferred a duvet to tightly tucked in sheets, which I had to tug open to even get into the bed.

The food was of any excellent standard throughout. My beef was some of the best I've ever had on our first night. The restaurant staff were attentive. Personally, I found the musical quartet annoying and too loud - certainly not my taste in music but too loud to ignore. The pianist on the other night was better and more subtle.

Very pleasant lounge overlooking the sea - a welcome escape from the wild wind! Can imagine that the outdoor tables would be lovely in the sunshine in the summer.

A 10 minute walk into the town, which is full of small independent shops in a pedestrian area, full of little treasures. Try to visit the Sidmouth Museum for a glance at the town's history. Delightful.

Room Tip: Sea views are probably the best but all of a very high standard.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 22, 2013

We have just spent three nights in this hotel
and had a pleasant stay. There are some good points and some bad. The decor is elegant and traditional. Our bedroom was well decorated but rather small. I am petite and found the size merely adequate. However the bathroom was very modern,stylish and spotless. The restaurant staff were friendly,helpful and efficient. I found the breakfast a little uninspiring,as I do not eat red meat. There were no vegetarian alternatives. Most of the meals were excellent but make sure you do not order turkey, as it is rolled and sliced (very plastic ). Also the vegetables were various but bland and reminiscent of pub dishes. Fortunately the puddings were excellent.
Apart from being able to use the swimming pool, I do not think the cost, which was nearly double the cost of our stay in the Imperial Hotel at Barnstaple, was warranted.
Will we come to again - maybe if there are some good offers.
Sidmouth town has some lovely shops and tea rooms, but the sea front is very drab,colourless and tired. Whilst I would hate a Blackpool look alike, some fresh paint and a few flower displays would make a big difference.

• Stayed May 2013