“Victoria Hotel, Sidmouth. Another great holiday!”
Review of Victoria Hotel

Victoria Hotel
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Sidmouth
GreenLeadersBronze level
Shipston on Stour, United Kingdom
“Victoria Hotel, Sidmouth. Another great holiday!”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

My husband and I went to the Vicoria for the 4th year running in August 2012 and yet again we were not disappointed. The minute we walk into the hotel it is welcoming. The receptionists are all very polite and make you feel at home immediately. Our room had a balcony and seaview and was excellent. This time we went bed, breakfast and evening meal and were not disappointed with the meals in the restaurant in the evening. The food was excellent and there was a good choice. The staff were very attentive and couldn't do enough for us and we were allowed to take our time with our meal. The hotel was as always spotless throughout and all staff greeted us with a smile and hello at all times. To us this hotel should be rated as a 5 star - not 4 - as we have stayed in alot of 4 star and the Victoria is by far a better hotel. Congratulations to all the management and staff on a great hotel.

Room Tip: When booking try to ask for a seaview as you won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kate B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Just returned from a six day stay at the Victoria Sidmouth. The four of us (Mum and Dad, both in their eighties) and my husband and I had a very relaxing and enjoyable stay. Everything about the hotel was 'spot' on - the food, the accommodation, the excellent staff and their professionalism, the facilities and best of all the lovely quaint and classy town of Sidmouth itself. Have now stayed in three Brend Hotels and can't fault any of them - they definitely know how to treat their guests and do their utmost to make sure you have a lovely holiday.

• Stayed August 2012
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Our 5th visit I think, our 2nd with child (8).The hotel is well maintained, standards of housekeeping and service high. Yes, old fashioned standards prevail, and outside holiday periods clientele is mature. In high summer, quite a few young families give hotel a better feel. Evening entertainments provide something to do in sleepy Sidmouth. Daytime activities in summer include laser clay pigeon and archery, professionally done and much enjoyed. Food in restaurant good if erring on traditional side, desserts were excellent and beautifully presented, improved from last visit. Standard rooms are adequate, you get a lot more for (admittedly more) £ if you choose a deluxe sea-view (recommended) or suite. That's the only drawback, really, everything is done nicely at the Victoria but unless you can get a deal you may be left questioning whether it's quite worth the £. That said, we'll be going back. And Sidmouth is like a breath of fresh air compared with dated and tacky resorts along coast.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Futercrew
the midlands
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I have know the Victoria hotel in Sidmouth for many years as I used to live in the town, but this was my first visit as a guest as I now live in Derbyshire. It is simply splendid, run on traditional lines with the most helpful, polite and sophisticated service I have ever experienced in a UK hotel. The staff are superbly trained, from the top supervisors to the chamber maids who are all immaculately turned out, polite, friendly and very good at their job. My room was always spotlessly clean. I had booked my single room last minute and paid for a 'single town facing'. On arrival I was allocated a wonderful sea view room with big windows and glorious views of the Jurassic Coast, the promanade and town. The room was spacious, comfortably furnished with a good sized bathroom. The public rooms, such as the lounges, panoramic sun room, and dining rooms were all lovely, beautifully carpeted and furnished. The bar was wonderful with deep sofas to sink into over an evening cocktail. I didn't actually eat at the hotel as I was meeting friends in the town every day and needed to be out early each morning, but the menus looked varied and interesting. I shall certainly eat there when I return...as this is certainly my intention. Check-in is at 3.00pm, but there was no problem with me getting into my room at 1.30. Reception staff were always helpful and smiling and I can't praise the immaculate training that all the staff must receive...such a contrast to some of the sloppy and unprofessional service one receives in some hotels these days. Well done to the Victoria management for ensuring these 'old fashioned' values are maintained. The staff showed great pride in themselves and their work. There is a lovely indoor pool with a spa and a stylish outdoor pool which is heated. The gardens are glorious..and again the gardener I spoke to was obviously so proud of his work and of being part of the hotel team. All in all, the Victoria is a wonderfully classy, comfortable and sophisticated experience. So....any niggles? Well just a few. The bathroom, although spotlessly clean was a bit of a let down decor-wise. The floor was covered with cheap lino printed to look like cheap wooden laminate. Even if tiles are not practical as the floors in this lovely old building are sloping, then there are wonderful rubber and cardine type floorings around. The plastic bath was also out of character with a badly fitted shower revealing poor plaster work round it and taps with plastic tops that had once been gold but which had worn to bare metal. This was all out of keeping with the bedroom itself and the rest of the hotel. However the towels were thick and fluffy and warm from the heated towel rail. The bed linen was of wonderful crisp quality with high thread count sheets...but oh the pillows were as hard as bullets! Solid in fact! I assume people like them like this, but I'm a feather and down pillow person and will take my own on my next stay. These are small niggles though and really if you want a wonderful luxurious top class experience then the Victoria must be hard to beat

Room Tip: I had a side room, which had the best of both worlds...sea views and views to the surrounding town a...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank saffronTheMidlands
Reviewed August 7, 2012

An exceptional welcome as always from the staff at The VIctoria.
I have been staying at the Victoria for the past thirty years, and for the last fifteen years with my husband and more recently with our two young children.
We always thoroughly enjoy our stay and on returning home today are already looking forward to returning next year.
Special thanks to the manager, Duncan and Ben.

• Stayed August 2012
Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

My late mother raved about this Hotel,the outlook when we arrived was wonderfully, greeted by a charming mature porter who helped us book in, drinks on the terrace followed by lunch, everything went wrong when we tried to book dinner and was told we would be on "relay"!! Which apparently means we were 2nd priority to guests who'd booked Dinner, bed and breakfast, bit shocked and upset my partner when spoke to the manager and was told there were no exceptions,when we declined the offer to eat in the restaurant he slammed the phone down on me!
, everything seemed to end at 8.30 for ordering food, we had to make do with 2 minute steaks eaten in the busy bar area,not the experience we expected, we weren't made to feel special.
I felt quite strongly about our experience as it had cost me in excess of £400 for one night, I contacted John Brend MD, who apologised profusely and has sent me a voucher for a free meal and a bottle of house wine to redeem at any Brend hotel.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
east grinstead
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We've just enjoyed 2 days of sheer bliss at this wonderful "Best of British"-style hotel. The location, set above the beach with grand sweeping views of the bay and delightful town of Sidmouth, would take some beating. Everything about the Victoria exuded attention to detail; cleanliness levels were excellent, the staff were all friendly, polite and helpful. We chose not to eat in the formal dining room, prefering to have a lighter meal in the bar area whilst enjoying the last of the sunset, although we were offered both the dining room menu as well as the equally good lighter option menu. Our room, on the top floor and with sea views, was spacious, well appointed and with a really comfortable bed. The bathroom too was well appointed (one quibble, poor flush to the loo!). I particularly relished being able to swim in the indoor pool as the weather was too inclement for outdoor bathing. We shall certainly return, having had such an excellent experience.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple