“3 - 8 November 2013” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 13 Hotels in Sidmouth
Wiltshire
“3 - 8 November 2013”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

This was our fifth stay here. This is a family run hands on hotel and a lot of the staff have been there for years. There is everything you could want from an English breakfast and the evening meals are superb. They use local produce whenever possible. If you particularly want fish it is advisable to get down to the dining room early.

The 10m swimming pool was lovely,very clean and WARM.

This is a hotel where you feel really wanted and everyone is helpful and accommodating. If you want discos and nightclubs keep away. This is a peaceful establishment. All the guests talk to each other and have interesting conversations in the bar after dinner.

Thoroughly recommended.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice. Room 22 has a shower that is too small. It all depends what you want from a...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hilary C, Owner at Royal Glen Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Thank you for making a review, we look forward to welcoming you back again, so pleased you enjoyed the conversations and discussions in the bar, this is certainly one of the enjoyable aspects of the hospitality industry, meeting and conversing with interesting people. Kind Regards Hilary & Vivienne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

I stayed here on my own for three nights and found it to be a delightful and charming hotel. The hotel is decorated with genuine antique and vintage furniture, pictures and general loveliness giving an air of comfortable grandeur.
The staff were each and all friendly, willing to help and obviously take pride in providing real 'service'. They have a lovely knack of being appropriate with their various guests and I noted that the elderly among us were treated with a particular gentle deference and care.
My room was very comfortable and warm, with a good bed. Charming furniture, a good shower and windows that actually open were all pluses and although it wasn't the biggest room I've stayed in, I was very comfortable.
The food was good and the service very efficient with no hanging about for the next course. Nothing massively exciting in the way of menu, but whatever arrived was good, well cooked and enjoyable.
This is not the ideal hotel for the young and groovy probably or those looking for a massively lively atmosphere, but wonderful for the rest of us...

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Lizzielizzie0
Bushey, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

An imposing, regal looking building which makes you think "should I really be staying here?!?"

Once inside the decor is pleasant, the hallway is welcoming and the staff are all very friendly and helpful.

The room I stayed in, The Garden Room, was quaint, had it's own shower room and opened out onto the garden area.

I also used the gym and pool but the gym could do with some new equipment. The pool and shower areas are superb.

A very pleasant stay which I will try to replicate when I'm next in Sidmouth. :0)

Room Tip: The garden room is lovely. Ground floor en suit room with direct access to the garden.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dunstable
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

We've been yearly guests at this hotel for 15+ years and every time we've had a very warm welcome, no requests too much trouble and all the facilities we could want.
Our continuing return speaks mucore loudly than the these words

Room Tip: Since the variety of rooms is considerable its worth discussing with the desk staff your exact requi...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Norman R
Craigavon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

This hotel is rated as a three star yet our experience suggested higher rated accommodation. Our room was on a corner of the second floor of the Jubilee wing and, as a result, the room was well lit by windows on both sides. The room was very comfortable with a large double bed, tea and coffee making facilities and a TV. The bathroom was also very clean with a shower over the bath.

The bar and dining areas are also welcoming and nicely furnished with the hotel staff proving friendly, efficient and very helpful. The pool is also well maintained and wasn't crowded during our swims. We didn't use the gym though it appeared well furnished with modern equipment.

My wife and I found the quantity, quality and choice of meals first rate. Being vegetarian (and possibly the only one staying that week), I was very pleasantly surprised by the range of vegetarian meals served up to me during our week. Each meal was freshly prepared and of a higher quality to food I have been served in some four star accommodation. Similarly, my wife was very pleased with the meat and fish dishes.

The hotel is located in a secluded area just off the Promenade which has the double benefit of a quiet location which is also very convenient to the town and attractions such as the theatre. We used public transport and found the local bus service very efficient. The central bus stop at the Triangle is only 10 minutes from the hotel.

Over all, we were very pleased with our stay at the Royal Glen and would have no hesitation in booking again or recommending to other travellers.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hilary C, Owner at Royal Glen Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Thank you for making a review and relating all aspects you found to be important to you, we look forward to welcoming you again.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

We were some of the youngest people staying there. Very old fashioned and traditional but clean and well decorated hotel. We had one of the new rooms which was modern and bright with a large walk in shower. Breakfast had a limited buffet choice but it was good to have a freshly ordered and cooked hot breakfast. Superb location within a minute of the sea front with plenty of parking, although I was glad I only have a little car!

• Stayed July 2013
A Dark Satanic Mill Up North
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

The glorious county of Devon has lots to offer the holidaymaker;charming seaside resorts, scenic countryside, delightful walks and of course let's not forget the world-renowned cream teas.
However, these delights are as nothing if your chosen accommodation is not up to your expectations. My wife and I had decided that this year we would holiday in one of those charming resorts - Sidmouth (actually she decided I as usual just nodded).
And so we sat down with an armful of brochures in order to find that perfect retreat. We were fortunate as Sidmouth certainly has its fair share of pleasant looking hotels although many of those in prime positions along the seafront were a tad on the expensive side.
"This one looks nice," exclaimed 'She who must be holidayed,' pointing to a glossy photograph of The Royal Glen Hotel; a white fronted edifice with arched windows and castellated walls, "A family run hotel and only two minutes from the seafront as well," she added excitedly. After a quick glance at the weekly rates I agreed that it was a definite possibility.
"It's steeped in history as well," she continued. "In 1819 the Duke & Duchess of Kent stayed here with their baby, the future Queen Victoria, although at her age I don't suppose she had much say in where they were staying," she mused. I was on the point of saying 'I know the feeling' but then thought better of it. "Well if it's good enough for royalty then it should be good enough for us - Mr Ivebineverywhereboy, get booking," she proclaimed with authority...
We arrived in Sidmouth at the start of what was to be a mini heat wave that lasted for the duration of our holiday. The exterior of the hotel was just as pleasing as the brochure had portrayed, so no air brushing in evidence here then. After parking up in the rather small car park we made our way to reception and with formalities completed in a very friendly but professional manner we were escorted to our bedroom on the first floor, which turned out to be no less than the Duchess of Kent's boudoir.
The room was large and airy and if I stood on tiptoe I could actually see the sea. It was also dominated by one of the largest wardrobes I had ever seen and no doubt in its time had been the repository of many royal mantles and gowns. We had not travelled lightly and yet the hanging area was so cavernous that for once ‘she who must have space’ had no need to lay claim on any part of mine.
Clothes duly hung it was time to test the beds. Now the wardrobe may have been of antique status but the beds certainly were definitely 21st century vintage and not and even she with the sensitivity of the 'Princess and the Pea' fairytale could find no fault with the comfort level of the mattress. The bathroom was clean and simple and boasted both a bath and shower although space for toiletries was somewhat limited. There was also a reasonably modern TV and the usual tea making facilities and all in all we were both happy with the room where we were destined to spend our next 7nights.
The hotel exuded tradition and this was nowhere more apparent than in the large lounge that faced our room. It was furnished in the style, which was no doubt popular when the Kent family was in residence. With a little imagination one could almost visualize the family sitting among the comfortable furnishings, with perhaps the young Victoria taking her first steps across the finely carpeted room.
There were also a couple of other lounges, one more like a study, equipped with a large TV and computer for the use of guests and there was also free WI-fi connection available if required. I must admit though that our favourite was the large bar lounge where guests gathered each evening for pre dinner drinks; and what a friendly lot they were. On that first evening we felt a bit like gatecrashers at a party, as the majority of the guests appeared to know each other well. We later learned that this was because many of them were returnees to the Royal Glen and so lasting friendships had blossomed over the years, which of course boded well for the hotel's reputation. However, we were not 'outcasts' for long and within the course of that first drink we had been warmly welcomed into the 'Royal' fraternity.
Drinks consumed, we made our way into the large airy dining room, which was beautifully laid out and were shown to what was to be our table for the week. We had not long to wait before being presented with menus that offered lots of choice and it would be a very fussy diner who could not find a dish to enjoy. The service from the restaurant team was impeccable and everyone was made to feel like the most important diner in the room - nothing was too much trouble. Breakfast fare and service was equally faultless and after our first full day we knew we had chosen our hotel well.
With the entire basic requirement tick-boxes duly filled, we wondered what else the hotel had to offer the discerning guest? We soon discovered that to complement the high standards of accommodation and dining already observed, the Royal Glen also boasted an indoor swimming pool and a well-equipped gym' - It all augured well for a delightful holiday.
So, hotel credentials fully established and with the weather set fair for the week, we wondered what other Devonian delights could sunny Sidmouth offer us? Well the town itself has a lovely beach; a bit pebbly but with some sandy areas exposed at low tide. There's a pleasant promenade that's just the right length for an after dinner stroll, lined with some inviting hotel bars where one can nip in if the stroll turns out to be a little longer than you were led to believe. For the slightly more energetic there is a testing 18-hole putting green, tennis courts and bowling greens. Why they even have a croquet lawn, a game, which is a lot harder than you would at first imagine. For those who prefer watching their sport rather than partaking, there is a large cricket ground where matches appear to be played on most days during the season. The town is also blessed with a variety of interesting shops (guess who made me add that little snippet) and a whole host of delightful little teashops and cafes when refreshments are needed.
If you feel like venturing outside the town limits then there are a number of resorts along the coast that are worth a visit either by car or better still, why not make use of the excellent bus service that operates from the town square? Exmouth to the west is worth a visit and Lyme Regis to the east is a must if only to have a stroll along the famous Cob. However if you prefer the smaller and quieter resorts then the likes of Seaton, Beer and Budleigh Salterton are sure to please; the later boasting the Premier Cafe that lovingly provides probably the best fish & chips in Devon - And then of course there is the big city virtually on the doorstep - Exeter.
Now when 'She who was born to shop' heard from a fellow devotee about the prestigious shopping malls to be found in the city, we just had to make the journey - But a word of caution - Take the bus - Exeter is every driver's worst nightmare to enter and when you do get to the city centre you can spend most of your day trying to find somewhere to park. However, once I overcame my desire to strangle the garrulous 'devotee', I realized that the city had something to offer us both - the shops for her and the cathedral and quayside for me, both should be high on every visitor's itinerary.
All to soon our week in Sidmouth came to an end and it was with a tinge of sadness in our hearts that we sat in the lounge on that final evening with our new found friends and raised our glasses to The Royal Glen for acting as the perfect holiday hosts and providing us with our every need.
The one and only 'niggle' I would have with the hotel was in their small print, which decreed that bills settled by credit card would attract a surcharge. I don't think that I am alone in holding the view that this can be off-putting to anyone who uses a credit card extensively and although I realize that these transactions have to be paid for, I firmly believe that hoteliers should either bear the cost or absorb it in their tariffs. However, to the credit of the management when I presented my card the surcharge was waived.
And so we departed in the blazing sunshine, which had been our constant companion for the whole 7 days. As we drove out of the gates I could have sworn that a childlike voice announced that she would not be 'amused' if we did not return sometime in the future - Rest assured Victoria - We will!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple