“Simple retreat great value lovely service.”
Review of Sidholme Hotel

Sidholme Hotel
Ranked #19 of 32 Sidmouth B&B and Inns
Bristol
“Simple retreat great value lovely service.”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Brilliant beautiful setting swimming pool and relaxing garden. Fantastic interior and weloming. This is run by Christian Guild but no overt reference otherthan small sign in reception. So relaxing and great value. Room basic but clean and very warm. Lovely

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Glynds
James S, General Manager at Sidholme Hotel, responded to this review, February 2, 2014
Dear ‘Glynds’

Thank you on behalf of the Sidholme Hotel Team for your review, I’m delighted you had a relaxing break with us and will share your comments with our team.

Best Wishes

James Sharp

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 13, 2014

We usually stop in Sidmouth after dropping our daughter at Uni, and stayed overnight here as the hotels on the sea front were all closed (due to the storms?). What a find, which we will repeat in future! Made full use of the snooker room and very impressive pool in separate new pine building kept delightfully warm. Massive bedroom with bay window looking out over lawns. Large sociable shared round tables in dining room, resulting in the most interesting breakfast conversation about Russian politics! Others had been coming here for 5 or 10 years.

Room Tip: Go mad and get the deluxe room for only £49!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear ‘Doug L’

Thank you on behalf of the Sidholme Hotel Team for your review, I’m delighted you enjoyed your break with us and will share your comments with our team.

Best Wishes

Bristol
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Booked in for dinner with our family as it is local to us having heard good reviews. Unfortunately upon arrival we almost didn't make it due to lack of lighting from the poorly tarmac car park to the entrance. I was hesitant due to the visual aspect of the hotel and as we entered the dinning room this old world theme continued. There apparently is only one sitting at dinner meaning we had to eat at 6:30pm which felt like an Early Bird special! There were only 3 tables and two servers on, whom passed us a SINGLE menu to share around our table of six. Whilst I am sympathetic that there is a recession printing menus on paper costs tuppence! It was embarrassing for us all. There was very limited choice and were initially served premade rolls with FROZEN butter clovers, the starters were served so promptly I am certain they were frozen previously if not microwaved! The mains were ok at best but very small portions (for starters we got a measly 1 fish cake each, clearly catering for OAPs) with what looked like school dinner shared vegetable platters in spilt silver dishes with over cooked / reheated veg. We attempted to order more wine for the table but were then advised the bottle we previously had was the last of that variety. We then picked another only to be told 5 minutes later they didn't have that either (bare in mind we we're the only table drinking!) so picked a third choice, each time having to choose a more expensive bottle (which they did not offer to cover the difference). Back to the shared menu to chose pudding, baked apples looked fine but you'd struggle to do them wrong. Cheesecake was ok but I stuck to cheese this time served with Flora (yuck!) so I asked for butter and got more FROZEN delights! (also the server was unable to tell us which cheese we had - there were only 3! It's hardly difficult) I avoided coffee and we left within an hour and a half, due to lack of atmosphere. The hotel is severely dated and clearly lacks investment. Water stains ceiling in the dinning room, wobbly chairs, blinding patterned carpet, yellow walls (perhaps were white once) chipped doors, poor lighting and to top it all out of the entire dining room (which only had two other tables dining) we were sat right by the kitchen door so could hear all the shouting/ radio and whistling. Overall it was like Faulty towers. Awful to condemn local businesses but this was utterly less than average to be polite. Needless to say I will not be returning

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank imnoangel189
Thank you for your review and please accept my apologies about the poor service you received in the restaurant.

We have fixed the issue with the lighting in one of the car parks and installed some new LED floodlighting. We have also spoken with the restaurant team to address the issues you experienced that evening. We do operate a fellowship meal time but if guests request a different time then we try to accommodate this.

Due to the severe weather recently we have had some water damage in the restaurant, which will be redecorated shortly.

Please rest assured I have listened to all of your comments and we are working hard to resolve these service issues.

I hope we can welcome you back in the future.

James Sharp

Travelers are raving about these Sidmouth hotels

Bromley, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I booked a one night stay on Wednesday 27th November for 2 and I wanted something cheap and functional, so booked the Sidholme purely on the basis that it had an indoor pool. You can imagine my frustration when I got there and was told the pool was not available and I got the impression that it had not been available for some considerable time.
My advice, if you book the Sidholme with a desire to use the pool, RING THEM TO CHECK THE POOL IS OPEN FIRST.
I booked a twin room w/o en suite and it was fine, assuming you like very frayed towels, although partly because we were the only people staying in the annex. Had it been full, I fear it would have been very noisy and the facilities crowded, as the doors banged very easily.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Phil J
James S, General Manager at Sidholme Hotel, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear 'Phil J'

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and in the first instance please accept my apologies for the disappointment experienced.

Unfortunately, due to a electrical fault on the day of your arrival which was out of our hands, the pool had to be closed for a couple of days while we repaired the fault. The fault has now been resolved and the pool was reopened two days later.

Once again our apologises for the inconvenience caused. If you do decide to return please let me know so I can introduce myself and welcome you back.

Fareham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

If you want to stay in a hotel which is set in fantastic grounds, with a dining room, sports room and music room with some character rather than a generic hotel then this is your venue. The food each night always had a good choice and was well cooked. Staff are very polite friendly and helpful. This was my second stay and hopefully not my last.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Peter-John R
Dear ‘Peter-Jones R’

Thank you on behalf of the Sidholme Hotel Team for your review, I’m so pleased you enjoyed your break with us and will share your comments with our team.

I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed our facilities, food and service.

Dorset, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a week and we stayed in the annex no t.v shared bathroom and toilets and single beds for me and my husband the rooms were not brilliant and smelt a bit the food was ok but not wonderful bit like school dinners and since we have stayed there my two youngest daughters have now got a skin infection will not be staying there again

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Scarbourgh
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Friendly staff and relaxed atmosphere. Very helpful reception staff. The hotel has no lift and rambling corridors resulting in some members of our group having difficulty finding their way around. Meals very good, fixed times for meals. Very close to town and seafront, so excellent location.

Room Tip: If you have mobility problems ask for a ground floor room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ann H
Dear 'Ann H'

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I will share your kind comments with my team.

Due to the age of the building, it does have lots of corridors and since your stay we have increased our signage to help guests find their way around.

Due to the hotel not having a lift we do ask guests if they have any mobility requirements. We also recommend to ask for a ground floor or a wheelchair friendly room if available/required, as these are very limited.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.