“Would have received top marks ...........but?”
Review of Sidholme Hotel

Sidholme Hotel
Ranked #20 of 32 Sidmouth B&B and Inns
Worcester UK
“Would have received top marks ...........but?”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Another winner from Christian Guild hotels. Well done everyone. Lovely staff, nice food and lovely communal areas. The pool was deep enough to swim in properly unlike the one at Lindors. It was slightly cooler but that is my preference. The gardens are beautiful even in mist!

We booked a superior room and it lived up to its name. So lovely and it has its own TV which however we only used once. The only let down was the bed. It would have been great to have a king size bed in a superior room but even a double would be OK if the mattress wasn't so soft. I ended up with bad backache after our two nights stay.

I love the idea of dinner being served for everyone at the same time at tables of eight but as we were part of the group that worked well, as you get a chance to chat to lots of different people. I can understand it being irritating for non group guests though.

No problems in getting a late key so I can't understand the comment of some reviewers neither can I understand the comment re alcohol. Christian Guild hotels thrive on group bookings and the facilities they offer but additionally I would quite happily book in as an individual guest/couple.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank nessief

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Myself and my partner had a thoroughly enjoyable stay at Sidholme hotel. Was a little nervous after reading some of the comments. But we cannot relate to any of these. The room was spacious, clean and had all the facilities we needed for the few days we were away (more character than any modern hotel nowadays.) Made full use of the pool that was on site. We had breakfast both mornings which was great value for money, a good start to the day.

Ideal location for a short walk into town and a nice stroll along the seafront (weather depending) Would also suggest a visit to the donkey sanctuary in the area- an enjoyable afternoon out!

All staff were very pleasant during our stay, thank you very much! We will definitely be returning again, and recommend you to our friends and family.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Louise244
Melksham
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I was feeling a little apprehensive before arriving, having read some varying comments on here, but it was a work retreat with my staff team so didn't have a choice. It was absolutely fabulous. All members of staff were helpful and polite, the food was yummy (we had all meals included) - I was waddling around for the duration of my stay as it was so yummy I felt bad saying no! I had a sweet double room, the bed was comfy and there was plenty of space. It was cosy, and although it wasn't modern, that style wouldn't have suited the period feeling of this beautiful house. Granted one or two places were a little dated, but for the duration of my stay there were workers in decorating. The standard of cleanliness was supreme throughout the hotel, and the swimming pool was lovely - it had a fabulous view! The grounds were pretty and it was only a short walk to the town and the beach, which helped me walk off all those scrummy meals!

Room Tip: Some rooms look out on to gardens lit with floodlights, so try and avoid those.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MrsFriett
Cambridge
Reviewed January 1, 2013

A beautiful house in a lovely setting. We paid £140 for one night, this was very over priced for the condition of the room which was small and in need of some TLC. It is such a shame as this has so much potential to be a lovely hotel. I have to agree with comments from Anders G it was more like a home for the elderly.Luckily we were only booked in for one night.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jeanette P

Travelers are raving about these Sidmouth hotels

Holmes Chapel
Reviewed December 10, 2012

My wife and I spent four days here attending an antiques weekend. We were lucky to get a comfortable room which had been modernised. Sadly that was not the experience of some of the others in the group and some of the rooms were poor.
The staff were lovely with one notable exception. The person who "greeted" us in reception was unwelcoming and could barely look up from the computer. I wonder if a change of employment might be the best plan away from the hospitality industry?
The food was ok but nothing special. Breakfast was the better meal.
I know that this is a Christian Fellowship hotel but non religious groups are not dissuaded from going and I object to someone leaning over my breakfast inviting me to a prayer meeting.
I shall not be back

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a superior room
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ancienttrveller
Oslo
Reviewed October 4, 2012

To be honest I could not wait a minute longer to check out. A very religious hotel with pietistic standard, lack of comfort and a feeling of an elderely home. The average age of guests must have been way above 70 - and a litle stressfull then to stay with 2 kids.... But the pool was a relief and even though it was of simple standard it fullfilled the need for water activity. With only 8-man tables you are encouraged to eat your breakefast with other guests - and I do not feel for beeing very social before a morning coffee.. There is no WiFi in the room, but limited coverage at one place above the reception - and you have to sign a strict form (like you are going to do criminal stuff on the internet) to get access. If you order a newspaper in the morning - do not expect it at the door but you have to pick it up in the reception. The beds are very small and short - first time in a while that I havr slept with my legs out of bed....

The only reason I do not rate it 1 dot is the poo, and the fact that it is reasonable priced - only about 190£ for 4 persons for 2 nights.

Will never go back again....

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Very friendly staff and a beautiful house in a big garden with old trees. But the rate of the room is definitely too high for the quality: old-fashioned, fusty, very small bath-room...it should be renovated as soon as possible.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple