“Fantastic”
Review of Canterbury House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sidmouth
Canterbury House
Ranked #5 of 33 Sidmouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 27, 2012

It was my first time alone on holiday and my first time in a B&B. I chose Canterbury House because the price/quality was so good. And that wasn't all! Jan and Marc are so friendly, the rooms are very well equipped and very neat. The cookies where delightful :-) and if you had any questions, it was never too much for Jan and Marc to listen or to help. The B&B is right next to a park and not so far from the seaside and the shops. The breakfast was also very well, lots of choices and possibilities and again, nothing was too much to do. For example I preferred to have soya milk, and this posed no problem. They took good care of me, and I’ll be sure be coming back sometime again! And don't forget to visit the donkey sanctuary! :-)

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank katrin b
There are newer reviews for Canterbury House

Reviewed August 5, 2012

We immediately felt like home here. Jane and Marc are so helpful with everything. Parking is a little difficult, but you can leave the car keys to Marc who will take care of it. Breakfast is a real treat. The rooms are very cosy, clean and spacious. Excellent Shower!
Jan and Marc are No. 1 hosts! Can't find any better!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank MonaSwiss
Reviewed July 6, 2012

We were really delighted with our accommodation. I shared a ground floor twin bedded room with my sister. The room was very clean, cosy and comfortable, with an excellent shower in a gleaming compact bathroom. My father had a single room which was surprisingly spacious, clean and cosy with an excellent on suite shower room. Breakfast is a real treat, fresh fruit, followed by full English breakfast, also lots of other choices including muffins with scrambled eggs and salmon, and kippers. Most importantly, Jan and Marc are hospitable and thoughtful hosts. My sister was admitted to hospital during our stay and they kindly deducted the cost of those nights from our stay. In a perfect location, Sidmouth is a delightful old fashioned sea-side town, in the best sense of the word with plenty of independent and quirky shops. We particularly recommend the Dairy Shop in Church St, excellent service and lovely simple food in pretty shabby chic surroundings. If you are planning a stay in Sidmouth you won't do better than Canturbury House. Far more comfortable than most 4 star hotels and exceptionally good value. Genuinely hope to be able to return

Room Tip: If you have mobility issues there is a choice of 2 ground floor rooms
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank walkerlb
Reviewed June 9, 2012

Tasty breakfast, comfy beds, spotless accommodation and lovely hosts. Canterbury house is situated right next to the river Sid and just a short stroll away from the town and seafront. Sidmouth is a picturesque, traditional, unspoilt seaside town, surrounded by the beautiful red rocks of the famous jurassic coastline. If you like walking, Sidmouth is a great base to do some stunningly beautiful coastal walks and pretty river walks along the River Sid and the Otter River. Whilst in Sidmouth, I would highly recommend visits to Beer, Branscombe Mouth, Budleigh Saltertown and Otterton Mills. My boyfriend and I can't wait for our next visit to Sidmouth and Canterbury House. Our weeks stay was truly a memorable one.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Nickynackynoo74
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Even before I arrived, I was made to feel welcome at Canterbury House. Exceptionally friendly and accommodating, both Jan and Marc did everything possible to make my short stay in Sidmouth a memorable one. No request was too small, even something as little as having hot chocolate at breakfast! Facing the front of the house, my single room was lovely - really high end carpeting and the bathroom - though small - was newly renovated and spotless. If you're going to be visiting Sidmouth, I highly recommend booking a room with them. I cannot say enough good things about Canterbury House!

Room Tip: Bus 52A, which takes you to the Donkey Sanctuary, can be caught at the top of Salcombe Rd.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank mikes_sister_toronto
Reviewed May 15, 2012

We have just had another wonderful stay at the Canterbury Houe with Marc and Jan and it was as good as ever from the fabulous breakfasts, comfortable beds and wonderfully clean rooms. Marc and Jan are the perfect hosts who make all their guests so welcome.

We wouldn't stay anywhere else in Sidmouth and couldn't recommend it enough

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank HMCunningham
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Traveling around Somerset, Devon & Cornwall with another couple and came across this B & B, what an amazing find. Very friendly welcome from Mark who opened the door to two women looking for one nights accommodation. Exceptionally clean and nicely decorated rooms, updated bathrooms, quiet location but within walking distance to restaurants. Mark gave us all the information we needed. Fantastic breakfast and coffee served by Mark & Jan. It is apparent these 2 love what they do. If you are visiting Sidmouth, stay here! Have no hesitation recommending this accommodation.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends