“Absolutely Beautiful”

Ranked #17 of 82 Restaurants in Sidmouth
Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Award winning boutique Restaurant with Rooms just outside Sidmouth in East Devon. 7 Ensuite Bedrooms, Spa, fitness room, Private Car park & award winning gardens. Restaurant with an A la Carte Menu made from a strong ethos to local produce
Reviewed March 30, 2014

My mother and I had lunch here on Mothering Sunday. It was absolutely beautiful. It was so relaxing that I wanted to stay all day - it was faultless. Andy and Annette are delightful hosts.. hospitable, very kind and they pay attention to every little detail. The food was exquisite - beautifully presented and excellent value; the decor and tables were tastefully arranged in soft lavender hues. We could see the pretty garden through the arch windows: gorgeous flower borders - not overdone where all plants stand to attention - well kept grass, a clean, inviting patio area and ample parking available. Many thanks Annette and Andy, we will definitely visit again soon.

1  Thank Christine F

Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

Wonderful, memorable occasion. Setting amazing and food exceptional. Perfect venue for a special meal. Hope to visit again soon.

1  Thank Mmeharris
Reviewed January 11, 2014

We had dinner here on the Saturday after Christmas. On arrival we were created by the unsmiling female owner, we booked in to the restaurant, with no warmth or conversation. I asked if we could have a drink first and look at the menu's, I was informed the 'lounge' was full but we could sit in the bar which she pointed at. We sat down and were promptly ignored, I asked a very pleasant waitress (after 10 mins) if we could order drinks, she went to the owner who was behind the bar, and only 5 yards away so in earshot, who said she would deal with it once she had finished what she was doing, eventually she came over, I asked for a wine list but she came back with a spirits list ! eventually I got a wine list and tried to order drinks but by now she had bought a 'taster' plate and was going to tell us what it was come hell or high water even though I was desperately trying to get a drink. The rest of the evening proceeded in much the same way, everything was done to suit the owners schedule of 'how things should be properly done' . When we sat down the cutlery was artfully arranged in a pattern, once I ate my starter, sole mousse with 'veiled salmon' ( veiled, really !) which was completely tasteless she cleared the plate away without comment but did have time to re-adjust my cutlery. In the end we got the giggles because it reminded us of Fawlty Towers gastronomy night ! If you like 1980's over worked food, no atmosphere and purple (you have to like purple to eat in the restaurant) you'll love this, I can only imagine they are catering for people who think this is 'posh' but who haven't eaten in a restaurant outside Devon since 1984. All that is bad in hospitality.

7  Thank Rosie J
6556, Owner at Restaurant at The Salty Monk, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2014

Thank you for your feedback with regards to your dinner. We really do appreciate all feedback good or bad as it is through this that we can improve our customers experience. On this occasion we obviously missed the mark, being very busy when you arrived very early for your table meant that no space in the lounge was available so you were shown to the Brasserie sofa area for a pre dinner drink. We do try to stagger table arrival times so that uninterrupted service and space in the lounge is not a problem however it was unfortunate other customers who had arrived were being served at the time and we had no choice but to keep you waiting for a drink.
Our corporate colour has been purple for the last 6 years and we have tried very hard to tastefully co ordinate the interior, purple it would seem has become very popular in the last year but we are sorry that you do not approve, we do receive a lot of good feedback on the ambience and decor normally.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

A tasty end to our holiday, we had booked the restaurant online using their system which worked easily and we had no problems.

We were seated in the lounge for a pre dinner drink and loved the cosy ambience that the Christmas decorations added to. A plate of pre dinner nibbles to munch on made us very happy!

Our table was large and uncluttered. Water included in the price of the meal was available and the restaurant room was tastefully decorated for Christmas.

To start, I had the smoked salmon - this was presented on a beautiful plate and tasted divine. My partner had a terrine which he wolfed down and again, was really tasty. An amuse bouche of parsnip and apple soup served in a small cup was a joy. We chose the same main and were glad as it was amazing! Pork belly cooked to perfection with a confit duck tart. Seasonal veg were nicely cooked - nothing worse than soggy veg so I was pleased with the side! Our bottle of malbec went well and was a fantastic price.

Very full after the main, I opted for cheeseboard and added a port. Great to see local cheeses- the blue was our favourite and gave us the "cheese sweats" - you'll know it when you have a wonderful cheese!

We decided to take coffee in the lounge and spied a Japanese whisky in the well stocked bar en route. After an espresso to wake us up, we nibbled on the after dinner sweets and finished on the Yamazaki.

The service had been excellent throughout, friendly and efficient, even down to the fact they ordered our taxi to take us back to the top of Sidmouth.

I'd love to go back again, a really enjoyable experience at the very end of November. The cost os excellent value for money too.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

we had a family birthday for 14 people. tha food was very good with choices to suit all pallets and the service was excellent. The restuarant really did us proud