“How Pretentious”

Restaurant at The Salty Monk
Ranked #18 of 78 Restaurants in Sidmouth
Cuisines: British, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Award winning boutique Restaurant with Rooms just outside Sidmouth in East Devon. 6 Ensuite Bedrooms, Spa, fitness room, Private Car park & award winning gardens. Restaurant with an A la Carte Menu made from a strong ethos to local produce
United Kingdom
“How Pretentious”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

We had the Rose Room which has access to the garden with a walk across to the spa and gym. The equipment was stacked neatly at the side, not exactly inviting and certainly not at £20 per person! The mattress on our bed apparently cost £4K, ViSpring saw you coming! Furniture Village are selling Elite Vi Spring BEDS at less than £1K. We rolled into the centre of the bed, no support there, so bad. The floor would have been better. The pillows felt like so many balls of cloth rolled and stuffed in a bag. The shower was only big enough if you weighed less than 13stone, and only some of the massage jets worked anyway. The rest of the bathroom was minute.
The restaurant was fine but my chicken with mushroom sauce on potatoes tasted fine once I had got over the lack of colour. Extra vegetables came in a tiny ramekin and cost a further £2.50. Service was excellent considering we were the only guests in on our second night and only one other person on our first.
I have stayed in more comfortable Premier Inns with their choice of pillows and a level mattress at a third of the price.
Perhaps more money should have been invested in the rooms rather than the Porsches in the car park.

1 Thank TPCMargaret
6556, Owner at Restaurant at The Salty Monk, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Thank you for your review we welcome all comments and use them to improve staff training and facilities. Taking on board the comment about the pillows we changed them immediately. During the 3 days that the studio is used for yoga classes in both the mornings and evenings the equipment is stacked at the end of the room but, we are always very happy to set up the equipment for customers if the room is not booked, the facility is totally free so I am alittle confused about the reference to a price charged.
As I explained I would have happily moved you to another room for the second night if you had mentioned the problem before check out, the bed that did not suit your back after your recent operation, we have a variety of different mattresses from Tempur, Air pocket sprung and ViSpring, bought commercially to comply with fire regulations.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Excellent dinner, beautifully presented and perfectly cooked.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

Superb food, delightful setting, charming waitress - well worth the journey from Northumberland! Would highly recommend. Will definitely be returning on next trip to Devon. We intend to stay there too as so impressed. Wonderful.

Seattle, WA
“Scrumptious Devon Cream Tea,,,beats Tea with Mr. Darcy!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

My family specifically stopped here on a rainy cool afternoon for their Devon cream tea as we were told that their Devon Cream Tea was the best. We were so glad that we heeded this advice as tea was absolutely delicious. The scones were the best I ever had, served light and warm with wonderful homemade berry jams, butter, and clotted cream. Even after we finished with the scones, I was shamelessly eating the jam and clotted cream since it was so good. And the tea served was heavenly. If you haven't tried lychee with rose, do so...it is a true bit of paradise. I can't believe we paid only 7 or 8 GBP for the tea. This tea totally beat our Regency tea experience when visiting Bath when we had the "Tea with Mr. Darcy". I thought that tea was great, but now I know I didn't know anything about tea. I hope I have the chance to go back here again to enjoy not only their tea, but also stay in their delightful rooms and enjoy dinner there.

• Visited September 2013
“High end residential home dining”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

Good food
But
High end residential home setting
Awful coffee
3 course meal for 2 with wine and drinks £145.
Lovely waiter

3 Thank Watson_Winker
Santa Barbara, CA
“The Best Cream Tea!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

My sister, daughter and I stopped here midafternoon for cream tea after a mini Jurassic Coast cruise. What an absolute treat this was. The sconces at the Salty Monk were the best I have ever had. They were light, airy and flaky without being crumbly. The sconces came with delicious homemade berry jams and clotted cream and your choice of tea. The perfect afternoon pick-me-up at only 7 GBP for a large pot of tea and two sconces. Our only regret was that we had lunch on our cruise and wished we had room for a full afternoon tea (finger sandwiches, cakes, sconces, etc.). Because it started rainy outside, we were served tea in a lovely comfortable lounge with overstuffed sofa and pillows.

This is the place in the UK to go for the best cream tea. Last week, we went to Bath and had "Tea with Mr. Darcy" at the Jane Austen Tea Room. While the tea room was lovely and the finger sandwiches and sconces tasty, I felt the sconces I made at home was better than the ones served at this tea room. However, the Salty Monk sconces are the best ever and my homemade sconce cannot hold a candle against theirs!

We will definitely stop here for cream tea, meals and rooms if we ever past this way again.