“Hated it”
Review of Upton Park Hotel

Upton Park Hotel
Ranked #17 of 22 Hotels in Slough
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I booked this really last minute as I was staying the night for a friends wedding in nearby Stoke Park. It had been a bit hectic as I had another wedding the day before so I didn't have much time to look into it- it really back fired!
As I did not know anyone else that well attending the wedding I was staying on my own and I actually freaked out when I arrived, it is off the beaten track through a residential area, opposite a lovely park however I just got a gut instinct of being unsafe there on my own. I did not like the idea of being there on my own in the night. We rushed in to the nearest entrance as it was pouring down and were greeted by some really odd guests, when we got to reception and the people there were pleasant but it really smelt and there was loads of ctv cameras further freaking me out. It was just an intimidating place to be on your own, might be less so in a couple/ group. The room was surprisingly ok but it just felt rough and unsafe to me and the door seemed really flimsy. Good value at £45 however sometimes you get what you pay for. I would not recommed this hotel personally esp. if you are staying alone!

Room Tip: Just don't stay here if you're a female travelling solo.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Vpalmer114

Reviewed March 27, 2013

the staff are scruffy and rude, the area is borderline frightening at night, the hotel looks like somebody's house that hasnt been decorated in decades, the carpet is sticky, the room lock didnt feel secure so i didnt sleep properly, and to top it all off........they charged me TWICE and i've been chasing a refund for over a week!

3  Thank Brighton_Bag_Lady
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Having read through some of the reviews on this website I was a little apprehensive about the hotel. However when I arrived I was treated to a very nice hotel on the edge of a lovely park. My room overlooked the park, it had been recently renovated and was of high quality.

Unfortunately I did not have chance to sample the food at the hotel although it smelt very nice indeed.

I would stay here again if I was to return to Slough. Thanks

Reviewed March 20, 2013

One of those independent hotels that has skimped on room standards to the detriment of the experience of the overall stay. Free car park and wifi is a bonus, but if your room is a mishmash of colours, mdf boarded frames, a bed squeezed under an alcove and a shower head that kept falling off, it's never going to satisfy. Won't be back.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

This place is a real gem of a find.
Tucked away in a quiet location overlooking the park.
On arrival found that there is a decent carpark and freindly helpful reception staff.

I was shown to my room which was extreamely roomey and tastefully decorated .
Will be staying again .

Room Tip: A bit tucked away but well worth finding.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Steve S
Reviewed February 3, 2013

The Upton park is in a great location up a quiet private road opposite a pleasant park, the garden was well planted and there is large well-lit carpark to the rear. The hotel is very close to the M4 motorway but I wasn't aware of the road noise in my room. The staff were helpful and friendly and I had a delicious meal in the restaurant where they also serve an ok breakfast.
The room however was pretty grim, not very clean, only one of the four lights actually worked, there was a very noticable chunk of ceiling coving missing, and a wardrobe/chest of drawers, missing a drawer, was plonked unceremoniously halfway into an already small room.
The standard of the room really let down an otherwise enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank FrankMango
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We travelled back from London towards Bristol during the snowfall in January 2013. We didn't get to the hotel until nearly 1am but the staff were still at reception and were very accommodating.
We used the hotel as a stopover as we wanted to travel onwards.

Breakfast was very nice and cosy, but unfortunately they didn't have sausages because of poor weather conditions - we got extra bacon so it wasn't a problem.

The poor weather conditions didn't even affect the private road access, which was not a problem when getting to the parking.

The beds are comfy and the building quiet. We did hear dripping of the melting snow on the window ledge outside, but we cannot complain about the weather conditions when reviewing a hotel.

Great value for a nights stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple